Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimber View Post
    Thanks for checking that info, I don't know anything about spring rates and valving, so I really appreciate the input.

YCW did email me back and they said a couple things:

For the maxed out camber in the front, they said we should be able to get -4deg, and said the installer should have tried to swap the top plates from left/right. So what they put them on wrong before they shipped them and I am supposed to know that?? Frustrates me.

Were you trying to go max negative camber? I thought that you were trying to get as little as possible. Because that's what it looks like you guys were doing. Since in the pictures, the adjustments were going away from the engine. If you wanted more negative, you would go towards the engine.

They said shortening the rear damper (via the lower mount) more is not going to affect the stroke as that is independent of that adjustment. So I guess my thought of having reduced travel was wrong. (again I am no suspension expert)

As per them using Swift linear springs in the rear (compared to most companies using barrel/progressive springs) they said they are one of the few companies that do this and its because it offers far increased performance over regular springs. To quote "Also, as your setup is now fully linear springs, these will not be as comfy as a stock setup that uses barrel/progressive springs; that's impossible. A linear spring will produce it's rated load throughout 100% of the spring stroke, whereas a barrel/progressive spring is softer initially, then gets harder as the spring compresses. Either you want performance, or you want comfort"

Um no. Plenty of companies use linear springs for their coilovers. In fact, nearly all of them. If they kept their barrel/progressive springs, then they would have joined one of the few to do that. Not the other way around.

But yes, they would be a little bit harder than the setup before which is correct. However, if they were matched up correctly with dampers that were designed well, it would also be comfy. The biggest advantage of linear springs is that it's way more predictable when you're throwing it around the curves since it's the same rate all the time.

My main concerns are:

Front dampers need to be uninstalled (AGAIN) and the top plates need to be swapped right/left to allow for proper adjustability.

see above. What were you trying to do? more negative or less?

Since they are saying they can send me shorter Swift springs for the rear (I have to email them about the spring top piece), that will hopefully allow me to go lower without coil bind so I can level the car out to roughly stock height. But it seems they are saying that these are never going to ride as comfortably as stock. Quote "Our coilovers will perform better in a performance situation than both the oem and most coilovers on the market , and are basically tamed-down track coilovers for a street car. You would be paying $3k+ for a similar setup from Penske or Bilstein, not $1k. If you are wanting "stock" quality/comfort, then unfortunately, these coilovers are not for you". When I first ordered these I specifically asked that these would be comfortable, as I DO NOT track this car, nor will I ever. (spirited driving yes) I just wanted the best ride I could get along with as good or better performance/handling over stock setup.

I really want to make these work, as they do look to be really great quality, and YCW has been trying to make it right, but in the end am I going to end up with a harsh ride that I never wanted. It's not like I am lowering the car and should expect a harsher ride. I'm just looking to be around stock height levels. (I'm in PA and our roads SUCK LOL)

I really appreciate all the input, look forward to hearing back everyone's thoughts on the above. Thanks guys!
    Honestly, I feel like they are at the point where they don't even want to work with you anymore lol It seems like they are trying to convince to you that's how it is now instead of try to fix the shortcomings. I'm still in the camp of just getting a refund and going with something else. I'm pretty sure you would be fine with the normal setup that everyone recommend on here. Let someone else figure out test their coils.

Quote Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
    Honestly, I feel like they are at the point where they don't even want to work with you anymore lol It seems like they are trying to convince to you that's how it is now instead of try to fix the shortcomings. I'm still in the camp of just getting a refund and going with something else. I'm pretty sure you would be fine with the normal setup that everyone recommend on here. Let someone else figure out test their coils.
    I hope that's not the case, but we will see what their reply email is hopefully today. I've put too much time and money into this to give up now, when hopefully we are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. And like I said I'm not that type of person to go back on what I said I would do, it's just getting frustrating.

Thanks for your replies and here are the answers to your questions:

I think what the alignment tech meant was that they were maxed (passenger side for sure) and he was already at almost -1deg as you can see in the alignment printout (which is pretty much stock setting). I was going for basically stock numbers to start with, and if someone on here said to adjust something then I can take it back and do that. (I bought a package so I can adjust multiple times if need be) I just thought it weird that it was -1deg and could only get more neg from there as you are saying. I mean I guess some people like that look of riding on 1" of the inside of the tire, but that's not me. LOL

I'm glad you said that about the ride as well. They keep trying to make it sound like no matter what, the ride is going to be no where near factory quality. Which is not what they said when I ordered them a year ago. I specifically wanted a nice ride quality, and whatever performance gains I could get by going to a high quality coilover setup. I am fine with a little stiffer ride to gain performance, but the way it is now is just horrible and no where near factory quality.

Thanks!

Oh yeah. Then it's fine. At the height that you are at, it's normal to only get -1 deg as the minimum camber. My minimum camber is a lot higher than yours. But I wouldn't go with stock settings though. Just something close to it. You can check the alignment thread for settings that other people have tried. I run a specific setting for my car. And since you have the unlimited alignment thing, after you get your suspension sorted out. you should try to find the alignment settings that you would like.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213