Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Help Needed for E30 fitment

Hey guys, so I've decided that I'll be buying an e30 in the next few months, most likely a 325i/e, and I'm just trying to get everything planned out so I know what I'll need to be buying when the time comes.
    So I've been looking at BF Goodrich's All Terrain tires because I'll be encountering a lot of dirt and gravels roads(BTW if you don't think these are necessary and know of a cheaper route to go please let me know) and I'm just confused on what sizing I should be looking at.
    Apparently the OEM wheel is 14" but they don't sell the tire in that size, so I'd most likely be moving up to a 15" or even 16" wheel. But with that wheel I want to make sure that there are good tires offered in the dimensions that I would be buying.
    Hopefully all of this makes sense, in summary I need a set of wheels and tires, preferably 15" wheels which will be wrapped in all terrain tires, and I just need some guidance.
    Does anyone have experience with e30s? My end goal would be to use it this summer and then keep it as a winter beater, so I'm trying to keep spendings down overall if I can. Also, if it means that I'll have to cut some fenders and add some flares then I'm down to do that.
    Thanks again guys, any help is appreciated. Name:  325emountain-1.jpg
Views: 860
Size:  104.2 KB

2004 BMW 330i TiAg ZHP/// 6MT(purchased from forum 6/06/16);
    KONI Yellows | Akebono Brake Pads | ECIS cold air intake system;
    Hotchkis Sport sway bar | ECS Tuning Carbon Fiber front strut brace
    Vibrant Performance Muffler | Coby Wheel Tri-Stitch steering wheel & shift boot
    Michelin PSS | Blizzak WS-80

14"? Look for some used rally tires. I think they would be a lot more fun and cheaper than BFGs.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Lazlo View Post
    14"? Look for some used rally tires. I think they would be a lot more fun and cheaper than BFGs.
    Actually? Should I just go through craigslist some more looking for them? And also would you recommend going the size up?

Yup - serious. If I were to have any significant time on dirt, gravel or unimproved roads, I would mount some used gravel tires and call it a day. I was think 14" as there are plenty of Group 2 cars running 14" wheels and it would preclude your need for additional wheels, if that is an issue.

Do a quick search for "used rally gravel tires" and I am sure you will find a bunch of US rally teams selling their old competition tires.

Edit: The standard disclaimer... They will be great on dirt and gravel but will absolutely su...diddily...uck on dry tarmac.

Yup - serious. If I were to have any significant time on dirt, gravel or unimproved roads, I would mount some used gravel tires and call it a day. I was think 14" as there are plenty of Group 2 cars running 14" wheels and it would preclude your need for additional wheels, if that is an issue.

Do a quick search for "used rally gravel tires" and I am sure you will find a bunch of US rally teams selling their old competition tires.

Edit: The standard disclaimer... They will be great on dirt and gravel but will absolutely su...diddily...uck on dry tarmac.
    Thanks so much for the help, I'll get back to researching which will pretty much be my life for the next couple months lol. And for your disclaimer, so you <wouldn't> recommend driving on them for 5hrs on tarmac? I almost feel compelled to buy them and strap them on the car somehow... what'd you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Prestovie View Post
    Thanks so much for the help, I'll get back to researching which will pretty much be my life for the next couple months lol. And for your disclaimer, so you <wouldn't> recommend driving on them for 5hrs on tarmac?
    Look, you're exchaging messages with a guy who drove his rally car to work, on gravel tires, more than once. I may not be the best person to estimate your judgement in certain matters.

I almost feel compelled to buy them and strap them on the car somehow... what'd you think?
    FOR SCIENCE!

Look, you're exchaging messages with a guy who drove his rally car to work, on gravel tires, more than once. I may not be the best person to estimate your judgement in certain matters.
    I'll take the advice then

This is more difficult than I thought, even TireRack doesn't sell sets of new gravel all terrain tires that would fit either the 14 or 15s.
    Luckily my friends dad used to rally for a living when they lived in Ireland, so I'm gonna have him ask if he knows where I could come across some tires

2004 BMW 330i TiAg ZHP/// 6MT(purchased from forum 6/06/16);
    KONI Yellows | Akebono Brake Pads | ECIS cold air intake system;
    Hotchkis Sport sway bar | ECS Tuning Carbon Fiber front strut brace
    Vibrant Performance Muffler | Coby Wheel Tri-Stitch steering wheel & shift boot
    Michelin PSS | Blizzak WS-80

Enough links, I want to see an E30 with gravel tires and a skid plate! And a rally computer. And a cage.

Your idea of hitting up your friend's dad, rally guy from IRE, is spot on! If you run into dead ends, hit me up, I can scour my old teammates.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast