Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Bottom front plastic shield falls off on the highway SMH

So I'm driving back from Miami on I-95 and I hear this shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh sound and I thought maybe I got a large twig caught underneath, has happened to be before (altho never in FL). So I do the stop, backup, etc., shimmy, but a bit later, still the sound. So I park over in a desolate part of a parking lot and crawl down and look under, and see that this black plastic shield-like piece right under the front of the car fell off partially. It seems there are usually about 6 screws/bolts holding it up on the chassis or whatever is under the grill. So until I got home, I had to jerry-rig it with rope that I luckily had some in my bag.

Is this something that can be as easy as buy the part and get the car up and unscrew and screw the new one in? What it is even called... I just want to make sure this isn't part of some bigger problem. I can literally see part of the plastic near the screw/bolt holes torn apart.
    __________________________________________________ ____
    2003 ZHP 4dr | 145,000 miles (ACTUAL before RIP) | BBS 17"
    Hankook Ventus V12
    Front: 225/45ZR
    Rear: 255/40ZR-17 Hankook Ventus V12 evo2 XL
    [ Staggered on square (17x8.5 +38) ]

I believe that would be the belly pan (aka splash shield), part # 51718268344. I had mine fall off recently too.

It's held in by 7 screws(part# 07147177492), which seem like they come with the shield. They are then screwed into part# 07146981767 to secure the pan. And there's also 3 plastic rivets securing the front to the bumper.

Quote Originally Posted by holyc0w View Post
    I believe that would be the belly pan (aka splash shield), part # 51718268344. I had mine fall off recently too.

It's held in by 7 screws(part# 07147177492), which seem like they come with the shield. They are then screwed into part# 07146981767 to secure the pan. And there's also 3 plastic rivets securing the front to the bumper.
    This one?
    https://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/31925/Center-Splash-Shield-Front-51718268344

For some reason the second photo looks like a different shape than the first photo.

Is that the avg price or.... where did you get yours and how much?

Thanks!

Seems like these guys are the cheapest from a quick search, the others charge outrageous shipping, including Pelican... and this is a bit cheaper than ebay as well:
    https://autoplicity.com/9253022-genu...ndercar-shield
    $114 shipped
    Hankook Ventus V12

If Autoplicity is supplying a genuine BMW part that price isn't bad. It's large, but lightweight, so that makes shipping more expensive.

Part Number 51718268344
    Part Name SCREENING
    BMW MSRP $114.23
    Online Price from BMW dealers with internet sales departments ~$91.38

Do you have a BMW dealer close by ? Maybe it's better to grab one in person.

Splash Shield - try replacing the fasteners

Quote Originally Posted by Dathaeus View Post
    . It seems there are usually about 6 screws/bolts holding it up on the chassis or whatever is under the grill. So until I got home, I had to jerry-rig it with rope that I luckily had some in my bag.

Is this something that can be as easy as buy the part and get the car up and unscrew and screw the new one in? What it is even called... I just want to make sure this isn't part of some bigger problem. I can literally see part of the plastic near the screw/bolt holes torn apart.
    You may be able to save the splash shield. I have just done this on both my E46 and E39. I would put the front of the car on ramps or jack stands (take all necessary safety measures), and remove the splash shield to inspect it.

If most of the securing holes in the plastic shield are intact (5 out of 6, or ? ) I would buy several sets of the fasteners, including a few back-ups, and replace the fasteners as needed.

Per other responses, the speed screw is part # 07147177492, and the matching c-clip is part# 07146981767. The speed screw mounts into the splash shield and C-clip slips on the part of the frame that holds the shield. You can buy them on-line or at the dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dathaeus View Post
    For some reason the second photo looks like a different shape than the first photo.

Is that the avg price or.... where did you get yours and how much?

Thanks!
    It probably just looks a bit different when viewed from the top and bottom using the angles they used. I'm seeing $97 on ebay and ECStuning when searching by part number.

I didn't make it very far from home before I heard the scraping, so the shield was okay for the most part. I just replaced the 7 screws as I had the 7 c-clip parts replaced before. There were also 7 plastic washers that I was able to re-use (part#51718212163 I believe), but I think it would be a good idea to change them if you're just replacing the screws.

From what the pictures show if you get the shield, it looks like you get the screws (and also washers) already attached? But I'm guessing no c-clips. ECSTuning says basic installation hardware is included.

Wait, doe the part not come with the screws or clips?

It seems like half the screw areas, the plastic has been basically ripped so I think using the existing shield is a no bueno. So do I need new screws and clips as well if the retailer doesnt supply it?
    Hankook Ventus V12

Based on the q&a on fcpeuro for the part, the screws seem to come installed on the pan, but not the clips. Your current clips could be okay but it's better just to replace anyway (7x part# 07146981767).

Quote Originally Posted by holyc0w View Post
    Based on the q&a on fcpeuro for the part, the screws seem to come installed on the pan, but not the clips. Your current clips could be okay but it's better just to replace anyway (7x part# 07146981767).
    Cheers!
    Hankook Ventus V12