Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
  1. Eonon GA6150 review

I posted this over at e46fanatics, figured I'd share it here.

I purchased a GA6150 for my ZHP sedan a while back, so here are my impressions

Installation
    • My trim pieces' metal pegs got jammed, and I broke off the peg socket on the inner piece.
    • I cracked and broke the heater vent, and managed to break a fork on one side of the installation tool doing it. The tabs just wouldn't release
    • I had to use pipe pliers to squeeze the adapter cable to lock into the wiring harness, but I think that's a problem with the harness, not the adapter cable (it did the same thing with the 5150 I had (and returned).
    • Once I got over that, the GA6150 fits flush, thanks to the change in the antenna mount. It didn't have the same issue as the 5150 I bought previously (and returned).

Appearance
    • The unit fits well, and looks like it belongs in the center console.
    • The icons and such are decent.

Operation
    • The radio is good, once you figure out the tuning buttons (not described anywhere I looked).
    • The brightness adjustment is better than the 5150 was (which was practically non-existent) and dims well enough, but I wish it would go darker.
    • The main screen looks nice, with a compressed version of whatever media is selected on the main screen.
    • The mode button and the steering wheel button below the volume controls both cycle through all the inputs, EXCEPT A2DP. Why? I don't know, but that really should be fixed in a software update.
    • The phone operation is good and bad. Overall it works well, but I can't figure out if it's using the external mic or the one on the head unit itself. Seems to be both, and I've done some testing. In any case, people sometimes tell me my volume's too low.
    • A2DP is good, but the volume is very low compared to the radio. This was true in my last car adapter, so I think it's the phone's fault.
      [*}Steering wheel controls do work as advertised, BUT, despite what Eonon says, you cannot alter their operation. The app to adjust the controls comes up blank, essentially. The 5150 also couldn't do this either, and they told me it wouldn't work. They really shouldn't advertise that you can alter the buttons if we can't.

I also purchased the forward and backup cameras, but I haven't installed either. I will when Spring comes around.

I considered buying the Dynavin N6, but it's overdue for an upgrade. I've been waiting for the Avin update, but got tired of waiting. IMO, the GA6150 is worth the price.
    Last edited by MrAdventure; 02-18-2017 at 09:06 AM.

Great review, thanks for taking the time! I've got a thread going for this very same thing, lots of mixed reviews, but the more info the better. How long have you had it installed? Please keep us posted on the long term usage and any issues you come across. Thanks

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...-D5150Z-7-quot
    2016 BMW M340i

BMW CCA Member . Dinan Stage 1 Software . Dinan 3.5" Exhaust . Dinan CAI & Turbo Inlet . VSRF Charge Pipe . H&R Sport Springs . CF: Front Splitter, Rear Valance, Trunk Spoiler, Roof Spoiler, M3 Mirror Covers . BMW Performance pedals . Gloss black ///M kidneys . 12mm F / 15mm R BMS Spacers. NGK 94201 Plugs .

2013 BMW X5 M-Sport - Sold
    2009 550i M-Sport - Sold
    2006 650i Vert - Sold
    2004 330i ZHP - Dead
    2001 330i Sport - Sold
    2004 330i ZHP - Sold
    1999 E36 M3 - Sold

3. I got and installed it 1st week of January. I'll update after I do the cameras.

Any updates on this unit since the install? How's it been working, any issues, etc?
    2016 BMW M340i

BMW CCA Member . Dinan Stage 1 Software . Dinan 3.5" Exhaust . Dinan CAI & Turbo Inlet . VSRF Charge Pipe . H&R Sport Springs . CF: Front Splitter, Rear Valance, Trunk Spoiler, Roof Spoiler, M3 Mirror Covers . BMW Performance pedals . Gloss black ///M kidneys . 12mm F / 15mm R BMS Spacers. NGK 94201 Plugs .

2009 550i M-Sport - Sold
    2006 650i Vert - Sold
    2004 330i ZHP - Dead
    2001 330i Sport - Sold
    2004 330i ZHP - Sold
    1999 E36 M3 - Sold

5. It's been working well, except for the sound quality of the mic. I relocated it to right in front of the dashboard display, and it still sounds like I'm talking through a cheap mic, and the level seems lower than other people on conference calls I'm on. I've called and left messages on a couple of answering machines, and I end up sounding distant from the mic. People say I sound fine, but not great. Eonon said that it uses both the mic on the unit's face, and the external one together, perhaps for noise cancelling. I will be trying out one or more other microphones in its place this weekend.

I'm slightly annoyed that you can't cycle to the A2DP app when you cycle through the modes. Instead, I've moved the app to the main set of apps on the screen, so I turn on the car, press Home, and then select the app. Otherwise, it's not that bad, given how inexpensive it is. Radio Reception is reasonable.

I also ran the two USB inputs into the glove box, and then an iPhone charging cable out the glovebox door. It doesn't seem to recognize the audio output through the media player, but A2DP works well enough that I don't care.

If the weather holds through the weekend, I will probably take a crack at installing the front and backup cameras, and run the remote display cable for my Valentine One, while I've got the A pillar removed.

Man that sounds pretty good all in all, I'm happy to finally hear a good review after so many poor ones. I mean, these things have to work for someone! Forgive my lack of tech-knowledgey (see what I did there?), but what's A2DP? I would only be using the system for basic needs; NAV, Bluetooth iPhone connectivity and I think the reverse camera would be pretty sweet. Obviously a major draw is just the looks of it compared to the Business CD as well. I think I'll eventually pick one up and give it a shot, it's worth it for the price. Anyhow, glad to hear all is (mostly) well, keep us posted if things change!
    2016 BMW M340i

2009 550i M-Sport - Sold
    2006 650i Vert - Sold
    2004 330i ZHP - Dead
    2001 330i Sport - Sold
    2004 330i ZHP - Sold
    1999 E36 M3 - Sold

7. A2DP is audio streaming from the phone. If you run a music player, a podcast app, or a mapping program, etc., it allows you to hear the audio through the unit. There's a Bluetooth app on the Eonon that's just for phone calls.

I have a similar unit in another car and just flip between FM tuner, Spotify, Waze, and the occasional Netflix. It's legit. My only complaint is that I have to turn my phone into a hotspot every time that I want to use it for anything data driven.

MrAdventure do you know if this thing can get it's data from a 3G dongle or does it need to run on a WiFi hotspot?

9. No idea, sorry.

GB going on now for the new model with Android 6.0

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1125381

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast