Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    Great stuff! Now to more questions:
    I [kinda] got you fam

• How are you going to run the wiring to the rearview camera?
      I don't know yet. I have some links saved on my computer that I'll post here tomorrow, but a lot of people have done it without issue.
      Edit: Here is a great set of DIYs for the headunit, backup camera, front cam, etc.
      http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1034241
      And what I plan on doing: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...&postcount=833
      And some more pictures from others: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1125291
      Oh man this might be the most comprehensive of all DIY's: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1003890
    • Do you know the resolution on the front facing camera?
      I don't. It is an unlabeled USB camera that came with the unit. Could easily replace it with something better. I'll get a road shot once it's mounted.
    • How does the sound quality/levels compare to the stock HK/Business CD head unit?
      I'd say it's on par with the stock setup, but it doesn't actually sound like it. It's more muddy and there's definitely some static that you can hear on songs with silent pauses. BUT the EQ allows you to adjust the levels to make it more punchy than stock. So give up clarity for punch and that's how I score them the same despite them being very different.
    • Are you using an iPhone or Android phone?
      Android, but my phone isn't doing anything other than being connected for calls. All of the apps/songs are download straight to the headunit through the Google play store. Effing Netflix just updated their app to not show up for rooted/unlicensed devices, so that's out, but I have Google play movies and Hulu if I need to keep the woman entertained on a trip.
    Last edited by ZHPizza; 05-17-2017 at 10:50 AM.

Got ourselves a freakin head unit/camera DIY bible right there! Nice, those will come in handy in the future. Definitely not looking forward to that wiring though, looks like a giant PITA. Maybe I can pay one of my stereo buddies to hook it up for some beers and pizza.

So when you say "muddy" and "staticy", that makes me say...hmm, eww. And again, I'm not an audio snob, but as Digital Underground said...I like my beats funky! (in related news, I also like my oatmeal lumpy) But if you think it still sounds good, or at least equal to our stock Business CD head units, then I'm fine with that.
    Last edited by Cadeez; 05-17-2017 at 02:05 PM.
    2016 BMW M340i

BMW CCA Member . Dinan Stage 1 Software . Dinan 3.5" Exhaust . Dinan CAI & Turbo Inlet . VSRF Charge Pipe . H&R Sport Springs . CF: Front Splitter, Rear Valance, Trunk Spoiler, Roof Spoiler, M3 Mirror Covers . BMW Performance pedals . Gloss black ///M kidneys . 12mm F / 15mm R BMS Spacers. NGK 94201 Plugs .

2013 BMW X5 M-Sport - Sold
    2009 550i M-Sport - Sold
    2006 650i Vert - Sold
    2004 330i ZHP - Dead
    2001 330i Sport - Sold
    2004 330i ZHP - Sold
    1999 E36 M3 - Sold

3. Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post
    I [kinda] got you fam

I don't. It is an unlabeled USB camera that came with the unit. Could easily replace it with something better. I'll get a road shot once it's mounted.
    • How does the sound quality/levels compare to the stock HK/Business CD head unit?
      I'd say it's on par with the stock setup, but it doesn't actually sound like it. It's more muddy and there's definitely some static that you can hear on songs with silent pauses. BUT the EQ allows you to adjust the levels to make it more punchy than stock. So give up clarity for punch and that's how I score them the same despite them being very different.
      Android, but my phone isn't doing anything other than being connected for calls. All of the apps/songs are download straight to the headunit through the Google play store. Effing Netflix just updated their app to not show up for rooted/unlicensed devices, so that's out, but I have Google play movies and Hulu if I need to keep the woman entertained on a trip.
    The front camera resolution isn't great, maybe 1024x768.

I haven't wired up my backup camera yet, either. Haven't felt like running the cable, but now that the weather's changed...

I find the sound quality better. I don't hear the static you're hearing, though I have the HK upgrade and I'm still using the stock speakers.

People have commented that the mic level on calls wasn't great, but that may be more of a function of the phone's signal. I did go and spend $12 on a replacement mono mic - Olympus me52w, and it seems to be better than the stock mic.

I'm running an iPhone. I've had a dropout or two in the few months I've used it but overall it's far better than the old Dice unit I had in my previous e46.

If I were buying now, I'd look at the 7150, since it's supposedly newer/faster/better.

On a different note, I did install the Torque app, and I have been using a Bluetooth OBD II device, but the Eonon seems to lose the connection to the device quite frequently. It could be the device, but I don't think the unit handles multiple active Bluetooth connections well.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadeez View Post
    Got ourselves a freakin head unit/camera DIY bible right there! Nice, those will come in handy in the future. Definitely not looking forward to that wiring though, looks like a giant PITA. Maybe I can pay one of my stereo buddies to hook it up for some beers and pizza.

So when you say "muddy" and "staticy", that makes me say...hmm, eww. And again, I'm not an audio snob, but as Digital Underground said...I like my beats funky! (in related news, I also like my oatmeal lumpy) So if you think it still sounds good, or at least equal to our stock Business CD head units, then I'm fine with that.
    Lol, I'm with you bud,

Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post
    I [kinda] got you fam

• How are you going to run the wiring to the rearview camera?
      I don't know yet. I have some links saved on my computer that I'll post here tomorrow, but a lot of people have done it without issue.
      Edit: Here is a great set of DIYs for the headunit, backup camera, front cam, etc.
      http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1034241
      And what I plan on doing: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...&postcount=833
      And some more pictures from others: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1125291
      Oh man this might be the most comprehensive of all DIY's: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1003890
    Completely missed this

I appreciate the follow up, my man.

Just wanted to post on here with what I was talking about with the new Waze/Spotify integration.

See that little Spotify symbol on the right?

Press that bad boy and bam! Song info, controls, and playlist selection without leaving your nav.

I'm just downright giddy with this layout.

Oh and I tested some wiring configurations for the backup camera tonight. Everything works how I want it to, so the next step is running the dash>trunk lid wire. Here we go.

Editing to add:
    I hit the "go to Spotify" button today to search for some shit and the Waze directions went with it! Man...this is just a beautiful marriage.

Last edited by ZHPizza; 05-18-2017 at 02:11 PM.

Oh and I tested some wiring configurations for the backup camera tonight. Everything works how I want it to, so the next step is running the dash>trunk lid wire. Here we go.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadeez View Post

So when you say "muddy" and "staticy", that makes me say...hmm, eww. And again, I'm not an audio snob, but as Digital Underground said...I like my beats funky! (in related news, I also like my oatmeal lumpy) But if you think it still sounds good, or at least equal to our stock Business CD head units, then I'm fine with that.
    Your stereo buddy could probably do the camera install in 30 minutes. As I go back and forth between the DIY's and sitting in the car actually handling the parts, everything is coming together. I successfully tested the wiring last night and, thanks to the others that went before me, have no more fears about the camera install.

I mean...it sounds freakin' good to me. The EQ settings can really make songs pop. I've listened to probably 150 songs with the new setup and there has only been one where I heard the static. I'm thinking it was "American Pie" by Don McLean. You know where he just kind of pauses during the song? That's when I could hear it. But that's the ONLY time that I've heard it.

I saw in one of the DIY's I linked that a guy capped all of the unused RCA connections to limit static causing interference. I was shifting the headunit around the other night and the static all but disappeared, so it's probably something like that. I'm going to either cap/tape or remove the unused RCA connectors when I get everything squared away and see if that does it.

So all that to say, I think anyone that isn't big into the nuances of audio quality will be happy with the output. I would explore other sellers on AliExpress, though. This guy hasn't been responsive to my issues. We'll see if he is more active when I open a dispute, which I'm waiting to do once I have all of the peripherals installed so I know about any and all issues with the unit.

Quote Originally Posted by MrAdventure View Post
    I find the sound quality better. I don't hear the static you're hearing, though I have the HK upgrade and I'm still using the stock speakers.

Also have the HK system with stock speakers. Like I said above, I think that the static is just some interference from one of the dozen dangling connectors. I don't think it's inherent in the system itself.

People have commented that the mic level on calls wasn't great, but that may be more of a function of the phone's signal. I did go and spend $12 on a replacement mono mic - Olympus me52w, and it seems to be better than the stock mic.
    I only tested the mic on one call and they said there was a bad echo. One of the guys in a DIY drilled out the hole on the face of the unit to help the sound get to the mic inside, while others have gone and resoldered some connections. I'll keep testing it and maybe try the drilling thing, but I'm not about to break out the soldering iron. Lots of info on these units here if you want to browse: https://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/Hui_Fei_Type

Edit: Here's the thread where the guy drilled out the mic hole http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1003890

If I were buying now, I'd look at the 7150, since it's supposedly newer/faster/better.
    Well the "newest of the new" is the 2GB/8core 7150A, which Eonon "introduced" like 6 weeks after the 1GB/4core 7150. The 2GB ram/8core unit that I got, which is the same as their 7150A, was on AliExpress months ago. I've been checking the memory usage on mine and it's consistently showing almost 900MB. Are you having any lagging issues with your unit with 1GB ram?

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    Last edited by ZHPizza; 05-18-2017 at 09:40 AM.

Your stereo buddy could probably do the camera install in 30 minutes. As I go back and forth between the DIY's and sitting in the car actually handling the parts, everything is coming together. I successfully tested the wiring last night and, thanks to the others that went before me, have no more fears about the camera install.

I mean...it sounds freakin' good to me. The EQ settings can really make songs pop. I've listened to probably 150 songs with the new setup and there has only been one where I heard the static. I'm thinking it was "American Pie" by Don McLean. You know where he just kind of pauses during the song? That's when I could hear it. But that's the ONLY time that I've heard it.

I saw in one of the DIY's I linked that a guy capped all of the unused RCA connections to limit static causing interference. I was shifting the headunit around the other night and the static all but disappeared, so it's probably something like that. I'm going to either cap/tape or remove the unused RCA connectors when I get everything squared away and see if that does it.

So all that to say, I think anyone that isn't big into the nuances of audio quality will be happy with the output. I would explore other sellers on AliExpress, though. This guy hasn't been responsive to my issues. We'll see if he is more active when I open a dispute, which I'm waiting to do once I have all of the peripherals installed so I know about any and all issues with the unit.
    F it, I'm getting one! For $299 plus the $96 bracket and the ~$12 cord you mentioned, it's still a good deal. Is there a way to download different "loading" screens? What I mean is, when you turn the car on, can you have the display screen show different pics/images like a BMW roundel or something like that?
    2016 BMW M340i

BMW CCA Member . Dinan Stage 1 Software . Dinan 3.5" Exhaust . Dinan CAI & Turbo Inlet . VSRF Charge Pipe . H&R Sport Springs . CF: Front Splitter, Rear Valance, Trunk Spoiler, Roof Spoiler, M3 Mirror Covers . BMW Performance pedals . Gloss black ///M kidneys . 12mm F / 15mm R BMS Spacers. NGK 94201 Plugs .

2013 BMW X5 M-Sport - Sold
    2009 550i M-Sport - Sold
    2006 650i Vert - Sold
    2004 330i ZHP - Dead
    2001 330i Sport - Sold
    2004 330i ZHP - Sold
    1999 E36 M3 - Sold

I went looking around and found another option.

https://www.erisin.com/erisin-es6046...-e46_p810.html

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast