Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
  1. So, 10 months in, and I just wanted to provide an update.

I purchased Eonon's OBD II Bluetooth device, and it works better than the generic one I had previously. It syncs up fairly quickly and Torque is rather good. Sound is still resonable. I installed the front camera when I wired my car for my V1 remote display. Camera records 10minutes of video before saving and then starts up a newer file. I never installed the rear camera.

issues:
    -I run A2DP almost exclusively. You can't cycle to it via the 'band' source button. If you had it running and then restarted your car, the display goes back to the Bluetooth device screen, and you have to fiddle with the controls to get back to the A2DP player
    -every time after starting the car, it takes 1-2 minutes to be read, and then another minute for Bluetooth
    -Bluetooth connectivity randomly stops working to my iPhone 6S, and the only way to reconnect is to power off the unit, disable/re-enable Bluetooth on the phone.
    -AM radio tuning isn't precise enough. I can't seem to tune to specific frequencies (1010 results in 1006, 1130 latches in poorly on 1124). I know that radio stations wander in frequency slightly, but it's annoying
    -Haven't figured out where to find and provide maps via an SD card, so GPS won't work. Can't get GPS coordinates out because there are no maps loaded (catch-22). I don't plan on buying their map card.
    -Eonon seems more interested in releasing newer units than updating firmware on old units - since mine, first released about a year ago, they've released the GA6150F, GA7150 and GA7150A for the e46. Do they ever stop to catch a breath? Does anyone know any sites that have firmware?

As I said previously, it works well enough that I'll probably just keep this until someone sells a unit that'll fit and do Apple CarPlay. sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by MrAdventure View Post
    So, 10 months in, and I just wanted to provide an update.

I purchased Eonon's OBD II Bluetooth device, and it works better than the generic one I had previously. It syncs up fairly quickly and Torque is rather good. Sound is still resonable. I installed the front camera when I wired my car for my V1 remote display. Camera records 10minutes of video before saving and then starts up a newer file. I never installed the rear camera.

issues:
    -I run A2DP almost exclusively. You can't cycle to it via the 'band' source button. If you had it running and then restarted your car, the display goes back to the Bluetooth device screen, and you have to fiddle with the controls to get back to the A2DP player
    -every time after starting the car, it takes 1-2 minutes to be read, and then another minute for Bluetooth
    -Bluetooth connectivity randomly stops working to my iPhone 6S, and the only way to reconnect is to power off the unit, disable/re-enable Bluetooth on the phone.
    -AM radio tuning isn't precise enough. I can't seem to tune to specific frequencies (1010 results in 1006, 1130 latches in poorly on 1124). I know that radio stations wander in frequency slightly, but it's annoying
    -Haven't figured out where to find and provide maps via an SD card, so GPS won't work. Can't get GPS coordinates out because there are no maps loaded (catch-22). I don't plan on buying their map card.
    -Eonon seems more interested in releasing newer units than updating firmware on old units - since mine, first released about a year ago, they've released the GA6150F, GA7150 and GA7150A for the e46. Do they ever stop to catch a breath? Does anyone know any sites that have firmware?

As I said previously, it works well enough that I'll probably just keep this until someone sells a unit that'll fit and do Apple CarPlay. sigh.
    I've had the GA7150A for a few months now and share similar disappointments. I don't use bluetooth for music, I use Spotify Premium in the headunit.

Data:
    I cannot get the 3G/4G working yet and I don't think I will. There are no settings to manually change the APN/User/Password for the 4G dongle. It seems it will only work if your 4G dongle is plug n play. That may be because I'm using a data-only SIM from Google Fi. I've tried 2 different 4G dongles and neither work on the headunit. Others' experience may vary.

Maps:
    You can download areas through the Google Maps app when you're on WiFi. However the Nav will not work unless you have an active internet connection (4g or Wifi, etc). I think the SD card is just general extra storage.

Firmware:
    I haven't looked for any firmware updates.

Other notes:
    Sound is OK. More tunable than the stock headunit at least.

Steering Wheel Buttons app doesn't work so I can't remap them. The volume/track buttons work, but the other two buttons functions are useless to me.

Speed is pretty good, no complaints. Startup time is perfectly fine.

It also will randomly change startup behavior, i.e. it will sometimes load the home page, sometimes the bluetooth screen, most of the time Spotify.

The hard button layout is fucking stupid. There's a hard button to change the radio band but no App Switch hard button.

The only way this headunit works as expected is if I turn my phone into a WiFi hotspot. Even then it's not perfect because my Spotify thinks this is a home WiFi connection and will use my phone data to download playlists. Not to mention the whole point of buying this headunit was to not have to take my phone out of my pocket.

If you don't have an active data connection, many of the android functions don't work and apps will crash. Nav will not reroute and sometimes crash, Google Assistant will timeout when you ask it something.

FYI, I think this headunit is referred to as a "white-label" product from China, meaning it's produced unbranded in batches then other brands can slap their name on them and sell them. There are other almost identical units from Seicane that have better button layouts. I don't think Chinese products are up to the western level of branding and support yet. They just sell a batch of products they didn't make with their name on it, then move on to another batch. I don't expect to ever see a firmware update. Our best hope is if an android coder jailbreaks it with custom software.

I rate it 3/5 at best.
    2004 330Ci ZHP Mysticblau
    RIP 1991 E30 325i Cabriolet

3. Quote Originally Posted by Haynix View Post
    I've had the GA7150A for a few months now and share similar disappointments. I don't use bluetooth for music, I use Spotify Premium in the headunit.

Steering Wheel Buttons app doesn't work so I can't remap them. The volume/track buttons work, but the other two buttons functions are useless to me.

FYI, I think this headunit is referred to as a "white-label" product from China, meaning it's produced unbranded in batches then other brands can slap their name on them and sell them.

I rate it 3/5 at best.

Yeah, Eonon went back and changed their advertising about that after I complained, guess they brought it back. They specifically told me it wouldn't work.

You're right about it being one supplier and many vendors. I've seen the same unit with different brand names associated.

I'd probably give it a 3/5 as well. Good enough, but not something I'd actively recommend.

Good reviews, thanks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

I did some more research and I found a wealth of information on the Android Developer forums. I may have found a solution to my 3G data problem, and possibly solutions to yours MrAdventure. I'll be trying it tonight.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...oid-head-units

https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...d-unit-general

https://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/Hui_Fei_Type
    2004 330Ci ZHP Mysticblau
    RIP 1991 E30 325i Cabriolet

Quote Originally Posted by Haynix View Post
    I did some more research and I found a wealth of information on the Android Developer forums. I may have found a solution to my 3G data problem, and possibly solutions to yours MrAdventure. I'll be trying it tonight.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...oid-head-units

https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...d-unit-general

https://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/Hui_Fei_Type
    I suspect the best approach is that of sourcing the best MTCB/MTCC available and then building your own version of the OS, catered to your liking and desires.

Currently looking into the best solution for my E91.

7. This weekend, I received and installed one of these new CarPlay dongles for my car. This is the one I got:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carplay-USB...r/332544714067

There is SOME on-screen mirroring of SOME of the IOS apps. Those are:

AudioBooks (haven't used)
    Car (returns you to the Eonon screen)
    Downcast (podcast player)
    Maps
    Messages (texting)
    Music
    Now PLaying (jumps back to what's playing)
    Podcasts
    Phone

To get it working, first, you download and install the CarPlay app to your head unit. It wasn't on the Google Play site, but in a link provided on the box via a QR code. I had to copy to my phone and then to a USB stick and then to the unit. Second, after it's installed, you open the app, plug in the dongle to a USB port, and it prompts you to plug in the phone into it. You're off and running. I disabled the Bluetooth connection I already had to see what it'd do.

Some observations:

Last three apps are top left of the screen and swappable. There's a Home button bottom left that gets you to the CarPlay main menu

The Phone app opens into your favorites screen. When you make a call, it tracks the time on the screen. You're given hangup and mute buttons on the screen, too, and it displays the caller name, but no photo. Incoming calls use your ringtones, not Eonon's. Not sure yet if it's using the phone's mic or the ones from the Eonon itself.

Apple Maps works, but I found it easiest to choose the destination on the phone. Directions are announced, and if you're using the Music or Downcast player, and that output is paused and resumed after the voice directions are given. Moving map display is ok, but you can't zoom in or out on the Eonon screen.

Music player is good, and you get to navigate through the music options - Playlists, Songs, Albums, etc. No Album Artwork is displayed. You can't scroll within the song's playtime, and the steering wheel select up/down buttons don't work, though there are buttons on the screen that do.

Some general observations:

-Reasonable navigation within the converted apps, though some of the buttons are in the corners.
    -The select up/down buttons on your steering wheel don't work with it - they aren't passed on. Steering wheel volume control works.
    -I do prefer the Waze app for directions. You can still use it, but only controlled via the phone, and you won't see the maps on the display.
    -The slider bar for playing time is not selectable.
    -I haven't looked into it, but it may or may not be charging the phone while it's running.
    -Every time it starts, the Eonon asks if CarPlay is the default app to open it. Not saved in Settings, apparently.

So far, I'm ok with it, but I wish it was more compatible with all the apps.
    Last edited by MrAdventure; 04-03-2018 at 09:05 AM.

This thread makes me want to upgrade from my eonon5150 unit
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP - BMWP brakes/intake/strut bar/shifter, Coby wraps interior, BBS CHs, Eagle Eye LED tails, LED fog lights, GC coilovers, Sprint Booster/sport button mod, 4.5 LCM w/ programming, Xtrons 9inch HU, BSW stg1, dynamat, M3 sedan dead pedal, oCarbon CF interior trim, CF seat backs, 2x2 CF MTECH2 diffuser, CF cabin filter cover

Quote Originally Posted by MrAdventure View Post
    So far, I'm ok with it, but I wish it was more compatible with all the apps.
    Probably not the dongle's fault - only a subset of Apple apps are CarPlay-compatible.

I have CarPlay / Android Auto on my VW. I'm a 100% Apple guy / geek so I'd be all over it IF the stock head unit software wasn't so good. The only times I wind up using it is for a change of pace. The VW nav is excellent, media player, SiriusXM, etc., all work superbly right out of the box.

Here's something for anyone with CarPlay & a SiriusXm subscription that supports streaming can try - the streaming app has 3 bandwidth settings, and the sound quality is LIGHT YEARS better than the ultra-compressed low-res stream that the satellites beam down. The highest setting is allegedly 320kbps. Even at the middle setting (I forget the alleged bitrate here 192k maybe?), it sounds spectacular. On a long trip where I want to primarily listen to Sirius, I use CarPlay for this reason. My T-Mo plan has unlimited data so no prob streaming metric buttloads of music.

'21 M2 Competition
    '08 Z4 M Coupé
    '19 Golf R

10. Quote Originally Posted by BADCLOWN View Post
    This thread makes me want to upgrade from my eonon5150 unit
    I'd wait until they offer CarPlay standard.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast