Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Replaced ZKW burnt bowls today

Well, I finally got around to replacing my burnt out ZKW bowls today.

I used the replacement bowls from clemsone46

The install took 4 hours for both lights. Not sure if this is long or short, but I did have some difficulty at several points along the way.

1. Getting the headlight washer trim off was a challenge because I didn't want to break off any tabs. I watched the YouTube videos and they made it look much easier than it was. Some tabs took a surprising amount of effort to move them. I was sure I was going to break something off. I had different challenges on both sides.

2. Getting the old bowls out and back in was a total PITA. I enjoy puzzles, but this really frustrated me in both directions.

3. Getting the power plug out of the motor drive was also time consuming the first time because it took so much effort to get the plug out and there was very little room to maneuver. I tried several different needlenose pliers but ended up just jamming my thumb and index finger inside the opening and finally got the plug out. It is set in very deep into the socket. Going back in is easy.

Other than getting the new bowls in, the reverse wasn't too bad. I took my time to make sure I didn't force something and break something which would have really irritated me.

I decided not to put in new bulbs. I was looking at night breakers but decided against it for now.

The result is pretty good. If there is one nit, it is that the light output isn't even. It is very bright, probably close to what it was when my car was new. But the way that the new reflector material was put in the bowls, there are "hot spots" in the light where it hits the the ground.

Here are some before and after pics:

Lights on the garage door with burnt bowls:

Lights on the garage door with new bowls:

Here is the light on my garage cabinets with only the driver side reflector done:

Lights on the cabinets with both lights done. Note the hot spots on the passenger headlight on the cabinet:

The bowls were trashed:

Here is a pic of the refurbished bowls:

The brightness of the light on the road is very good. For $270ish and 4 hours of my time, it was worth it. Certainly better than spending $1000 or more for new headlights.

Regards,

David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by dpark; 02-20-2017 at 08:45 AM.
    2004 330i E46 with ZHP performance package and cold weather package

Thanks for sharing David.

Wonder why the hotspot are soo visible with the new bowls.

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Quote Originally Posted by Vas View Post
    Thanks for sharing David.

Wonder why the hotspot are soo visible with the new bowls.
    I would say there must be a small amount of imperfection with the reflective application. Not sure what else it could be.

David, thank you for the writeup. Additionally, I think you meant to say "bowls were thrashed" above, vice "bulbs"

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    I would say there must be a small amount of imperfection with the reflective application. Not sure what else it could be.

David, thank you for the writeup. Additionally, I think you meant to say "bowls were thrashed" above, vice "bulbs"

Fixed the typo Dane. Thanks for seeing that.

Yes, I thought the same as well on the hotspots. That is why I showed the pic of Clemsone46's bowls. While it is a nice job, you can see where there are some "dimples" where he did the repair and I have a sneaking suspicion that is what is causing the unevenness of the reflected light.

That said, the light output is SIGNIFICANTLY better than what had before. Don't need to use foglights to see anymore at night

The value that Clemsone46 provides with his product is very good, and I am hoping they will last around 5 years, only time will tell.

I know there are many people sitting on the fence what to do with their burnt bowls (new headlights, retrofits, or clem's refurbs) and I thought this would be good info to share with others. Some may not notice the hotspots, some will, but thought the info would be helpful in their decision-making process.

For me, I just didn't want to spend $1000+ on completely new headlights. And while I am not the most mechanically-inclined person on the planet, I was willing to give these a try and glad it worked out well. I am most pissed at BMW for not making this a recall item. It should be. For bowls to look like this in normal wear is ridiculous.

There is another thread on the site that discusses the retrofit option. In the thread there is a picture of his light output after the install that I linked to below. You can see the difference in the consistency of his light beam vs. mine.

But I can assure you, I do not have the skills or the patience to do what that retrofit required, which is why I went the Clemsone46 route

[/URL]

Here is a pic of the light from my new bowls on the road last night.

Overall visibility is quite good. Hotspots are noticeable but acceptable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good stuff

Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Bringing this back up. Working on it right now and cannot get the new bowl back in. Perhaps puzzles aren't my thing? Any specific tips?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    - Marc

Got it! Eventually it had to fall! Pure luck.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    - Marc

When I had to do this with my Imola ZHP I rebuilt my headlight assemblies using the AL bowls then transferred the ZLW lens from the ZKW assemblies into the AL assemblies to keep the same light output. Never had any issues with my headlights again. With my current ZHP I see they have the AL headlight assemblies so I will be transplanting ZKW lenses into them very soon as soon as I am feeling better...