Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Stigissimo View Post
    Both sides, but the driver's side was the one making the noise.

This is the worst job I've ever done on a car.
    it's not the worst i've done, by far, but it's far from the best. everything came apart nicely up until removing the axle shaft from the hub. then it went downhill quickly. how far in are you?

(PS - love the name of your impact gun... as if 'earthquake' wasn't enough... had to add the 'XT' bit - LOL!!)
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    it's not the worst i've done, by far, but it's far from the best. everything came apart nicely up until removing the axle shaft from the hub. then it went downhill quickly. how far in are you?

(PS - love the name of your impact gun... as if 'earthquake' wasn't enough... had to add the 'XT' bit - LOL!!)
    Lol - it's a Harbor Freight impact gun that being said it is very well reviewed and I love it. I used it to do the pulling/pressing with the press tool I sketchyrigged up from a 3-jaw puller bolt, a series of washers, a 4" PVC pipe, and pipe floor flanges.

I've got the driver's side bearing back in the hub, and need to do passenger side. Then it's just pressing the hubs back in (which required dremeling the old inner bearing race that was stuck on the hub) as well as the axles. I had to drop the exhaust and remove the sway bar as well. Then it's just reassembly.

Lol - it's a Harbor Freight impact gun that being said it is very well reviewed and I love it. I used it to do the pulling/pressing with the press tool I sketchyrigged up from a 3-jaw puller bolt, a series of washers, a 4" PVC pipe, and pipe floor flanges.

I've got the driver's side bearing back in the hub, and need to do passenger side. Then it's just pressing the hubs back in (which required dremeling the old inner bearing race that was stuck on the hub) as well as the axles. I had to drop the exhaust and remove the sway bar as well. Then it's just reassembly.
    ahh, so you dremeled it! i thought of that, at 2AM last night. but was determined to use the dumb bearing splitter.

i didn't remove the swaybar, just unbolted the upper end link brackets and rotated it down - that was enough for me to get the axle shaft out.

i'll be thinking of ya tonight when i'm doing the same.
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Stigissimo's ZHP Touring

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    ahh, so you dremeled it! i thought of that, at 2AM last night. but was determined to use the dumb bearing splitter.

i didn't remove the swaybar, just unbolted the upper end link brackets and rotated it down - that was enough for me to get the axle shaft out.

i'll be thinking of ya tonight when i'm doing the same.
    Yeah dremel was the way to go. I was just happy to throw the hubs in a vice and do a more precision job after spending hours on the ground hammering, pulling, and sweating.

I cut a nice slice into two sides of the race as close as I could to the hub, then with one solid strike with a screwdriver and hammer they split.

Like you, the bearing splitter I originally bought for the hub was too small. Had to return it to buy a bigger one. Used the lug nuts against the splitter to press the hub off; it was easy on one side but on the other side the hub was too tight to the knuckle for the thicker edges of the large bearing splitter. I ended up wedging something behind the splitter and pressing the hub out enough to actually get a purchase with the splitter on the knuckle.

I have an aftermarket beefy sway bar, which would not pivot downwards because it would run into the spare tire well. Wasn't too hard to take off anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nuff said

Woah! You need double walled impact sockets or you could get seriously hurt!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

One ride and you'll understand why most rocket scientists are German.

My ZHP Build 2004-2014 RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Hornung418 View Post
    Woah! You need double walled impact sockets or you could get seriously hurt!

I've got a good deep socket set but this bolt happened to be SAE and I was impatient

I've got a good deep socket set but this bolt happened to be SAE and I was impatient

Just lookin out!

Porsche 944 Turbo Build

One ride and you'll understand why most rocket scientists are German.

My ZHP Build 2004-2014 RIP

Stigissimo's ZHP Touring

So I was being a bit of a hoon and slaloming my car last night, and each change of direction I heard a big metallic clunk as if a loose weight were swinging around. It was very strange.

I get home and check the rear passenger side footwell (where I believed the noise to be coming from) and just chillen on the floor was this! Must have been lodged beneath the passenger seat during the m3 seat swap and came free during my aggressive hoonery. Not a bad find!

Thing weighs like 5 pounds... gonna try it out and see how I like it. If anybody wants dibs in the event I don't keep it (they don't call the zhp knob the "greatest shift knob ever" for no reason) let me know!

I'd be interested in giving that knob a try. Giggity.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    I'd be interested in giving that knob a try. Giggity.
    Hahahahahaha

That pun tho!

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast