Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    this thread needs:

- more pics
    - more updates

also...

- more pics
    - more updates

maybe some:

- pics
    - updates

Haha - you’re very right. I’m sorry!!

There actually have been some nice developments. DSSR I’ll get around to a full post.

I also just had my ACL repaired (last ski season got the best of me) so gimpy hasn’t really been able to drive/ clean his car well enough to get any good pics 🤷🏼*♂️ don’t worry I’ll nab some though. Stayed tuned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GL on the rehab!
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Quote Originally Posted by Stigissimo View Post
    Haha - you’re very right. I’m sorry!!

There actually have been some nice developments. DSSR I’ll get around to a full post.

I also just had my ACL repaired (last ski season got the best of me) so gimpy hasn’t really been able to drive/ clean his car well enough to get any good pics ����*♂️ don’t worry I’ll nab some though. Stayed tuned

sorry to hear about the ACL... not a fun time. hope your recovery is going well!

i put in a DSSR also, along with the RTD shifter. it's.... precise. and noisy. but fun.
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Ouch on the ACL, it's the most conniving of the CLs. Hope you have a speedy recovery!

I'll give some real updates on the wag soon. But for now, a story for the bored and/or interested about the most heart-stopping moment thus far of my driving career.

I was on the highway halfway through my daily commute. Sun bright, roads cold but mostly dry with some light snow on the shoulder. I was cruising in the left lane at about 65 - good space in front of me, nobody immediately to my right. I glanced in my mirror, thought I recognized the headlights as a GTI and spent maybe a second more looking to confirm my suspicion.

I redirected my attention to the road as I was rolling over a small crest, and to my alarm the car that had previously been a ways ahead had braked hard, nearly to a stop in front of me. Scratch that - I didn't even have time to be alarmed. I had stumbled upon near standstill traffic about three exits or so before I usually do, just after a crest, and was at most four car lengths behind the car in front while approaching at over 60mph. Before I could even shit my pants, I immediately and instinctively grabbed the tiniest dab of brakes then wrenched the car over two lanes to where there was some open space to slow down. When I say wrenched, I mean wrenched - 10/10ths of the limit, completely instinctive wheel jerk without having really slowed at all. Naturally on tall, soft-sidewalled blizzaks there was a resulting tank slap or two that I was able to get under control before slowing down and joining the traffic, safely. Now I had time to realize how terrified I was.

Some notes from this experience: It's pretty unbelievable how well you can come to instinctively know your car's limits. I think I would have to partially credit my knee-jerk reaction to my driving experience; I've spent some time on track (both in karts and cars) as well as a considerable amount of time intentionally exceeding the ZHP's limits of rear grip in the snow and rain. Had I tried to brake in this scenario I, the guy in front of me, and likely the guy behind me would have been splatter. Instead I reacted with aggressive steering input that was absolutely on the limit of what my car could handle...and I didn't even have to think about it. Not only did I instinctively perform the maneuver, I matched it to what I know through experience the car is capable of - no more, no less. When I say capable, I mean purely capable; my car hasn't had functioning DSC for about four months now (I spend enough time with DSC off to not want to bother fixing my DSC-brake light duo on the dash).

The rest of the credit I'd have to attribute to luck; I was lucky that I was in a position where there was nobody directly to my right, and that there was room in the rightmost lane to slow down safely after controlling a tank slapper that surely scared the shit out of everybody approaching from behind. I just hope that they all don't think less of BMW drivers because of how reckless the whole thing looked.

Side Note: Out of habit I drive with two hands on the wheel 9-3. Even after being distracted by a car in my mirror for a second, I was able to react immediately because my hands and feet were ready. Had I been driving with one hand (or worse, with one on top of the wheel which is no bueno), there's not a chance I could have reacted properly or if by miracle had reacted properly, controlled that reaction. Drive properly.

Final Thoughts Getting to know your car's limits can save your life. Sometimes what is required to escape a really shitty situation is a maneuver on the absolute limit of control. There's equal credit due to the ZHP, whose handling is extremely forgiving, capable, and communicative. While I'm glad I was able to react correctly, I'm even happier that this 16 year old wagon with malfunctioning traction control ate up the maneuver like it was nothing. God I love this car.
    Last edited by Stigissimo; 01-18-2018 at 11:55 AM.

I'll give some real updates on the wag soon. But for now, a story for the bored and/or interested about the most heart-stopping moment thus far of my driving career.

I was on the highway halfway through my daily commute. Sun bright, roads cold but mostly dry with some light snow on the shoulder. I was cruising in the left lane at about 65 - good space in front of me, nobody immediately to my right. I glanced in my mirror, thought I recognized the headlights as a GTI and spent maybe a second more looking to confirm my suspicion.

I redirected my attention to the road as I was rolling over a small crest, and to my alarm the car that had previously been a ways ahead had braked hard, nearly to a stop in front of me. Scratch that - I didn't even have time to be alarmed. I had stumbled upon near standstill traffic about three exits or so before I usually do, just after a crest, and was at most four car lengths behind the car in front while approaching at over 60mph. Before I could even shit my pants, I immediately and instinctively grabbed the tiniest dab of brakes then wrenched the car over two lanes to where there was some open space to slow down. When I say wrenched, I mean wrenched - 10/10ths of the limit, completely instinctive wheel jerk without having really slowed at all. Naturally on tall, soft-sidewalled blizzaks there was a resulting tank slap or two that I was able to get under control before slowing down and joining the traffic, safely. Now I had time to realize how terrified I was.

Some notes from this experience: It's pretty unbelievable how well you can come to instinctively know your car's limits. I think I would have to partially credit my knee-jerk reaction to my driving experience; I've spent some time on track (both in karts and cars) as well as a considerable amount of time intentionally exceeding the ZHP's limits of rear grip in the snow and rain. Had I tried to brake in this scenario I, the guy in front of me, and likely the guy behind me would have been splatter. Instead I reacted with aggressive steering input that was absolutely on the limit of what my car could handle...and I didn't even have to think about it. Not only did I instinctively perform the maneuver, I matched it to what I know through experience the car is capable of - no more, no less. When I say capable, I mean purely capable; my car hasn't had functioning DSC for about four months now (I spend enough time with DSC off to not want to bother fixing my DSC-brake light duo on the dash).

The rest of the credit I'd have to attribute to luck; I was lucky that I was in a position where there was nobody directly to my right, and that there was room in the rightmost lane to slow down safely after controlling a tank slapper that surely scared the shit out of everybody approaching from behind. I just hope that they all don't think less of BMW drivers because of how reckless the whole thing looked.

Side Note: Out of habit I drive with two hands on the wheel 9-3. Even after being distracted by a car in my mirror for a second, I was able to react immediately because my hands and feet were ready. Had I been driving with one hand (or worse, with one on top of the wheel which is not cool), there's not a chance I could have reacted properly or if by miracle had reacted properly, controlled that reaction. Drive properly.

Final Thoughts Getting to know your car's limits can save your life. Sometimes what is required to escape a really shitty situation is a maneuver on the absolute limit of control. There's equal credit due to the ZHP, whose handling is extremely forgiving, capable, and communicative. While I'm glad I was able to react correctly, I'm even happier that this 16 year old wagon with malfunctioning traction control ate up the maneuver like it was nothing. God I love this car.
    That was a good read. You have some quick reflexes man! I've had a couple close calls in my car too, thankfully nothing like you described. I'm still iffy on how well I know my car with the Blizzak's on (What did you mean by "tank slap"?) but I have a ton of confidence in my super sports.

Glad you and your car are safe!
    2005 Jet Black 6MT ZHP "Family First"
    ~Rob~

Side Note: Out of habit I drive with two hands on the wheel 9-3. Even after being distracted by a car in my mirror for a second, I was able to react immediately because my hands and feet were ready. Had I been driving with one hand (or worse, with one on top of the wheel which is not cool), there's not a chance I could have reacted properly or if by miracle had reacted properly, controlled that reaction. Drive properly.
    Can you explain this to my wife, please?? I can't seem to. Come over; I'll make dinner/
    2006 6MT Coupe, Alpine White • Premium, Cold Weather and Xenon packages
    MFactory 3.38 LSD • 27mm M3 bar • ECS strut brace • Koni FSD's

Other tweaks: see my profile

Stigissimo's ZHP Touring

Quote Originally Posted by Newjack View Post
    That was a good read. You have some quick reflexes man! I've had a couple close calls in my car too, thankfully nothing like you described. I'm still iffy on how well I know my car with the Blizzak's on (What did you mean by "tank slap"?) but I have a ton of confidence in my super sports.

Glad you and your car are safe!
    Thanks mang! Super sports on these cars are incredible. I’ll be getting some new PS4S’s this spring. It’s crazy how much more flop you can feel in the sidewall on blizzaks vs PSS.. much less responsive change in direction. That being said, blizzaks have very progressive and predictable grip loss, which I think helps make up for the fact that they just have less grip.

What I mean by tank slappers are when you countersteer into a slide, and your car catches and swings the other way like a pendulum (usually multiple times). They’ll usually progress until loss of control unless you anticipate them and their severity. Another reason to get to know your cars limits!

Quote Originally Posted by Dual View Post
    Can you explain this to my wife, please?? I can't seem to. Come over; I'll make dinner/
    Lol - of course I’ll take a ribeye and some asperagus

Tank slapper comes from the motorcycle world.... front forks oscillating from side to side so bad that they and you slap the gas tank. Very scary and almost impossible to recover from on a motorcycle.

When I did my first HPDE, my instructor told me, after making a few braking/turning mistakes, that if I was in any car besides an e46, I would of been in the grass...

I'd say the Blizzaks are one of the best HP snow tires on the market. I found them very predictable on the 135... even with the softer sidewall
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

All the points in your story are the reasons why I:
    * Frown upon people driving with one hand on top of the wheel
    * Strongly encourage people to do some HPDE's even if they don't want to
    * Strongly encourage autocross to learn the car
    * Instruct at Street Survival so I can teach teenagers how to avoid collisions just like this

My ass has been saved numerous times because of the skills I learned while doing high performance driving. Great job, man!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast