Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Do you have details of this heating trace that you designed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by roadbiker_2 View Post
    So, is this a good solution or would a catch can be a better choice in the long run?
    if this combats freezing adequately and puts the required vacuum on the crankcase, then yes, it's a perfect long-term solution. i would buy one - the packaging is fantastic on many levels.

if it doesn't combat freezing, i might still buy one and apply my heating solution.

Quote Originally Posted by roadbiker_2 View Post
    Do you have details of this heating trace that you designed?
    yep, my protoype setup is here:

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...sible-solution
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Thanks, I will check it out

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    very interesting design. i've been waiting for this thing for a while, too! i like how it interfaces directly with the outlet on the valve cover and also the inlet on the intake manifold.

also, it is a pretty cool packaging idea to mount it on top of the oil filter housing - that makes a lot of sense. i'm curious why they're draining back to the pan though, and not right into the oil filter housing?

anyway, here is a link to the cool nerdy stuff (nate, i'm talking to you here ). all of my questions....save one... are answered here:

http://www.germanautosolutions.com/b..._info_page.php

this thing looks killer. i will most likely buy one. the one thing that does concern me - and this is my major beef with the CCV system - is freezing. i'm concerned that the condensate could still freeze. i will be contacting them about this.
    Yep, I went through every detail on that page and was going to send it to you, but figured it would be better to create a thread and make our technical ramblings on this public.

The drain all the way back to the oil pan is confusing to me too. Until you hear back from them, we'll have to assume that they tried draining to the filter area and found that adding a port to the filter housing created issues with the flow of oil through the filter.

Quote Originally Posted by stephenkirsh View Post
    I've heard it won't pass visual inspection.

So... not sure this thing will. But who knows?

So, who wants to be the first guinea pig?!
    Visual inspection? What's that? Here in Arizona, your car passes "visual inspection" by pulling into the testing booth.

I'm intrigued by this piece, I already have GAS's Disa Gold, perhaps I'll add one of these as well. Zero issue with passing smog here.

'21 M2 Competition
    '08 Z4 M Coupé
    '19 Golf R

In CA they open your hood and check things out. I'm not sure why it wouldn't pass as how the heck would they know what that is?
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post
    Yep, I went through every detail on that page and was going to send it to you, but figured it would be better to create a thread and make our technical ramblings on this public.

The drain all the way back to the oil pan is confusing to me too. Until you hear back from them, we'll have to assume that they tried draining to the filter area and found that adding a port to the filter housing created issues with the flow of oil through the filter.
    i just spent a good 30 minutes on the phone with gary @ G.A.S.....

long story short - he is an awesome dude and is 100% committed to this system. he really has spent 3 years R&Ding several iterations of this system on his own personal car (E39), and after talking with him i am convinced it will be the right solution for me too. lots more details to come! this really is a no-compromise system and will solve all issues present with the factory CCV system.

also, apparently with a PCV system it can suck air in THROUGH the rear main seal, which as you can imagine couldn't be a good thing, especially in a dusty environment. his system will draw more vacuum that a stock CCV (about 1.5x), but not as much as what i'm running now. also, it filters the oil out from the air so well that effectively zero oil is making its way back to the intake - i mean, even on my system i am getting oil in the intake.

the drain-back works well and due to the aforementioned filtering, no condensate is going back to the pan. now THAT is good news.
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Just caught up on this... once GAS has this for sale I may just pull the trigger on this....

Nice, thanks for making the call. I was very impressed with the DISA kit they made as well.

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    i just spent a good 30 minutes on the phone with gary @ G.A.S.....

long story short - he is an awesome dude and is 100% committed to this system. he really has spent 3 years R&Ding several iterations of this system on his own personal car (E39), and after talking with him i am convinced it will be the right solution for me too. lots more details to come! this really is a no-compromise system and will solve all issues present with the factory CCV system.

also, apparently with a PCV system it can suck air in THROUGH the rear main seal, which as you can imagine couldn't be a good thing, especially in a dusty environment. his system will draw more vacuum that a stock CCV (about 1.5x), but not as much as what i'm running now. also, it filters the oil out from the air so well that effectively zero oil is making its way back to the intake - i mean, even on my system i am getting oil in the intake.

the drain-back works well and due to the aforementioned filtering, no condensate is going back to the pan. now THAT is good news.
    Nice! Thanks for doing the leg work. This system obviously needed to be approved by Canada's catch can guru before ordering.

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast