Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Steptronic Fluid and Filter Change

All, I did a drain a fill a few months ago in preparation for a complete Steptronic fluid and filter change. I did not have a completely square floor jack stand setup. They may have been off by about a 1/4" between the front and back.

When I went to pull the fill plug today, there was quite a bit of fluid that came out prior to getting ready to pulling the actual drain plug.

As fluid expands when it gets hot, this seems to indicate that perhaps I overfilled the transmission a bit when I did the last drain and fill. Should any fluid have come out at all? As I had read on another posting that it makes sense to measure what you have taken out, this would mean I am about to overfill again.

Should I fill the system to a little less than what I took out and then start the car to warm the transmission and then fill to the point where it is just coming out of the fill plug? This is a real pain in the ass as I am old school and used to having a dip stick to check the tranny.

Suggestions from other AT Steptronic owners is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did buy new stands this morning so they are all the same now.

Next question is regarding the old filter vs the new. This is the old filter and it came out with just one of the seals and a plastic flange assembly. The new is showing two seals and a plastic flange assembly. If you look up into the transmission it shows to have another gasket there but I am unsure if it is supposed to stay in there or needs to come out. I took a pick to it and it seems pretty happy to just stay where it is. Does that other gasket need to come out, or does it stay?

I know this may seem a bit obvious, but I don't want to damage anything inside the transmission. So, of this is gasket number two, and thus it matches the new filter so be it. This is not shown clearly in any YouTube Video. It would have been nice for someone to shoot the location where the filter goes in. Thanks for helping out the paranoid BMW mechanic.

Well, I answered my first question as to why the fluid was coming out of the fill port, as the fill is a two step filling and you warm the transmission to determine if it is full. I have that part of the equation figured out. I am still struggling with the gasket that is inside of the transmission as it really does not want to come out. If someone has a suggestion, or trick to getting it out, it would be appreciated. Based on a posting I found it appears that it needs to come out and it is fighting me.

Iirc the inner seal stays inside the transmission. Don't remove it.

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Vas, thanks. I thought it was odd that the old filter had just the one seal, but I will be damned if that seal doesn't want to come out. So I take it that I just throw some transmission fluid on the new filter and push it on then? Would it help if I grabbed a Bentley manual? I am pretty well done with all maintenance on this car as I have the CCV, VANOS, brake fluid, DISA and other items done.

You are not missing a seal actually. The orange seal is the only seal on the filter.

I would cover the seal with ATF and push the filter up into the trans.

Ok good, the new one is just a bit longer than the other one as illustrated in the photo. It certainly gave the impression that the other seal may have just bonded itself in there due to heat or something. Trust me, it is saying it doesn't want to come out.

Quote Originally Posted by roadbiker_2 View Post
    Ok good, the new one is just a bit longer than the other one as illustrated in the photo. It certainly gave the impression that the other seal may have just bonded itself in there due to heat or something. Trust me, it is saying it doesn't want to come out.

Gotcha.

As far as the fill procedure, any concerns?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast