Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Central Locking function not responding

I was on the phone with Charlie last night, and was unsuccessful to find any faults. Anyone have any other ideas before I rip the GM5 module out and send it off to a rebuild?

Issue: Tried to get into the car yesterday, and the fob wouldn't unlock the door. The fob was able to release the trunk. I used the key in the drivers side door to unlock the door. I pressed the central lock button and nothing responded.
    This happened about two weeks ago as well, however the central lock button responded, went home, and everything was normal. I didn't think about at all until last night.

Research:
    From www.BMWGM5.com as well as e46f I've seen this

Code:
    4-door - all 4 doors fail to unlock -> GM5
    4-door - all 3 passenger doors fail to unlock -> GM5
    4-door - only 1 of the passenger doors fails -> Actuator
    2-door - both doors fail to work -> GM5
    2-door - only the driver's door fails -> indeterminate
    2-door - only passenger door fails -> indeterminate
    Problem seems to be worse in hot or cold weather -> GM5
    Fuel filler door doesn't unlock either -> GM5
    This leads me to believe my GM5 unit is not functioning at this moment.

Tests:
    I've pulled the negative battery terminal off last night to try a force a re-set. All that did was make me rest my clock.
    Checked all the fuses, they all look good. They yellow 5amp fuse in spot 48 was a little dirty, however, there was no visible cracks. The smallest fuse I had on had was a 10, and didn't want to try that.
    The glove box light goes out everytime you pull a fuse, on once you return the fuse. Is that normal? I've never worked with fuses in the E46. (E36, sure, all the freakin time....).
    Hazard lights work. So, the button seems to be responding to input. Just not the lock/unlock function

Currently my car is parked in the lot with not locked, because I'm afraid it won't unlock!
    Last edited by TheFinanceGuy; 04-17-2015 at 05:57 AM.
    Patrick ///04 330i ZHP///BMWCCA#465139///Jim Conforti Shark Injector///H&R Touring Cup Kit///Gruppe M Intake

Out of curiosity, when you press the lock button on your remote, do your interior lights come on even though the car doesn't lock?

My car did something similar a few months back, and it ended up resolving itself after I opened and closed all of the doors several times... I'm sure it was a funny sight to see. Me doing laps around my car trying to narrow down a door that may have been acting up. I still don't know which one it was, but what I did eventually figure out was that even though the dome light was going off like all of the doors were closed, the car thought one of them was open.
    -Nate

2005 330i zhp - Sold

Current whips:
    2006 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
    1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

Starting to get the zhp itch again already...

Before tearing into the GM unit, try re-initializing the key(s).

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-reprogramming

Quote Originally Posted by Aesora View Post
    Out of curiosity, when you press the lock button on your remote, do your interior lights come on even though the car doesn't lock?

My car did something similar a few months back, and it ended up resolving itself after I opened and closed all of the doors several times... I'm sure it was a funny sight to see. Me doing laps around my car trying to narrow down a door that may have been acting up. I still don't know which one it was, but what I did eventually figure out was that even though the dome light was going off like all of the doors were closed, the car thought one of them was open.
    Interesting you ask this. My the car does respond to my remote and the interior lights come on.

I can't open any of the doors, because they are all double locked.
    Patrick ///04 330i ZHP///BMWCCA#465139///Jim Conforti Shark Injector///H&R Touring Cup Kit///Gruppe M Intake

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Lazlo View Post

Wouldn't the central unlock/lock button need to respond in order for this work? Currently, mine won't respond.

Do your hazard lights work?

Yes. Hazard lights work. Edited top for that nugget of info.

So the button seems to function.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Lazlo View Post

+1

It's worth a try Patrick....

I just re-read the emails I exchanged with Scott at bmwgm5.com, and your situation sounds very similar to mine. If your driver's door is open, the central lock next to the hazards won't function. But if your door is closed, it should. Since yours isn't functioning either way (that's how I'm interpreting this, at least) I think it could be your driver door ajar sensor/actuator. If you decide to try to troubleshoot this and find it is at fault, then here is a fairly detailed description of how to replace it.

http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=242785

I can't say with 100% certainty that this is at fault though.
    -Nate

2005 330i zhp - Sold

Current whips:
    2006 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
    1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

Starting to get the zhp itch again already...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast