Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Recommendation on replacing vs polishing headlamps on 2004 BMW ZHP

Greetings.

This is my first ever post on this forum, although, I've owned a ZHP since 2006. I have a 2004 BMW 330i ZHP with 105K miles on it. ~80K of those miles were from California, then it sat in garage for 3 years (lived in Chicago and NY) and I've been driving it again for last 3 years in Atlanta, Georgia. Lots of good stuff on this forum, but I wasn't able to get any decent recommendation on what to do in case of headlamp oxidation.

Recently the car was in a minor fender bender and getting the hood and bumper replaced ( no internal damage ). While getting this work done, I am also putting in the time to replace other interior parts impacted due to normal wear and tear. Where I am stumped is what to do about headlamps that now provide poor visibility due to oxidation. The shop where my car is currently getting serviced refused to provide polishing service saying that headlamps are beyond restoration. Couple other shops that have seen the headlamps offered to polish it, but gave it less than 50% of success.

New OEM parts ( 63127165791 and 63127165792 ) are roughly $1,500 each, although, mechanic suggested I call around local salvage yards to find cheaper ones. Looking on ebay, I can see these parts being sold for anywhere between 400-800 each, but I am not sure about quality. I am being told this is a common problem on older BMWs.

Looking for suggestions from other BMW owners on how they have dealt with this problem.

most people just buy from here:
    http://www.khoalty.com/headlight-lens-replacement.html

Don't even bother polishing it.

Quote Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
    most people just buy from here:
    http://www.khoalty.com/headlight-lens-replacement.html

Don't even bother polishing it.
    Awesome. Didn't even know this was an option. Thank you.

Significantly reduced output from oxidized lenses on our cars is very rare. Are you sure you don't just have the typical ZKW burnt bowl issue?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

I assume yor car is a sedan. You can't replace the headlamp covers on coupes because it's a sealed unit. I got Khoalty for my sedan 2 years ago (along with the seals) and I'm very happy with the results.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    Significantly reduced output from oxidized lenses on our cars is very rare. Are you sure you don't just have the typical ZKW burnt bowl issue?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    It's quite clouded in the center of the lense. Looking at it from an angle, it's far brighter. I've neglected the issue for at least a couple years. I'll find out for certain once I replace the lense.

Quote Originally Posted by fredo View Post
    I assume yor car is a sedan. You can't replace the headlamp covers on coupes because it's a sealed unit. I got Khoalty for my sedan 2 years ago (along with the seals) and I'm very happy with the results.
    Yes, sedan. Great to hear about the results. What seals are you referring to?

OEM headlight lens seal, part # 63128380210.

Quote Originally Posted by ilyap View Post
    Awesome. Didn't even know this was an option. Thank you.
    That's why we're here!

As mentioned, ensure your bowls aren't burnt.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by fredo View Post
    you didn't read his post did you?