Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad starter?

Bad starter?

Ever since I picked up my new ZHP a month ago, I noticed it always turned over a couple times before starting (whereas my 2001 330i fired right up immediately). I didn't think much of it, just thought it was a different car and maybe that was normal. Now it seems like it takes even more time to turn over, and there is also a very distinct "screeching" sound coming from somewhere which happens right as the car starts. It literally sounds like a chipmunk laughing, or a very squeaky wheel. Battery is brand new. Does this sound like a starter issue? Can't think of what else it could be
    2016 BMW M340i

BMW CCA Member . Dinan Stage 1 Software . Dinan 3.5" Exhaust . Dinan CAI & Turbo Inlet . VSRF Charge Pipe . H&R Sport Springs . CF: Front Splitter, Rear Valance, Trunk Spoiler, Roof Spoiler, M3 Mirror Covers . BMW Performance pedals . Gloss black ///M kidneys . 12mm F / 15mm R BMS Spacers. NGK 94201 Plugs .

2013 BMW X5 M-Sport - Sold
    2009 550i M-Sport - Sold
    2006 650i Vert - Sold
    2004 330i ZHP - Dead
    2001 330i Sport - Sold
    2004 330i ZHP - Sold
    1999 E36 M3 - Sold

Bad fuel pump or bad fuel filter? Maybe a vacuum leak? Coils and plugs ever changed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wouldn't all of those options usually cause issues during normal driving sough as rough idle or stumbling, not just start up difficulty? I honestly don't know, I'm asking.

Quote Originally Posted by KTS317 View Post
    Bad fuel pump or bad fuel filter? Maybe a vacuum leak? Coils and plugs ever changed?
    Fuel filter replaced last weekend, assuming pump is original, plugs and intake boot replaced last month. I don't see how a vacuum leak would make the noise I'm hearing, or the slight hesitation turning over? Car runs fantastic, I actually gave her a nice little rip today at lunch, all systems were go for sure. No issue getting fuel, or anything else out of the ordinary.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    Wouldn't all of those options usually cause issues during normal driving such as rough idle or stumbling, not just start up difficulty? I honestly don't know, I'm asking.
    ^^Agreed. It's got to be the starter
    2016 BMW M340i

BMW CCA Member . Dinan Stage 1 Software . Dinan 3.5" Exhaust . Dinan CAI & Turbo Inlet . VSRF Charge Pipe . H&R Sport Springs . CF: Front Splitter, Rear Valance, Trunk Spoiler, Roof Spoiler, M3 Mirror Covers . BMW Performance pedals . Gloss black ///M kidneys . 12mm F / 15mm R BMS Spacers. NGK 94201 Plugs .

2009 550i M-Sport - Sold
    2006 650i Vert - Sold
    2004 330i ZHP - Dead
    2001 330i Sport - Sold
    2004 330i ZHP - Sold
    1999 E36 M3 - Sold

I used YourMechanic.com to replace mine. Saved a bundle and they used Bosch. He was in my garage for 6+ hours!

Holy crap! Why the heck is your engine torn apart like that?? The DIY's I've seen show to go from underneath, no exhaust removal, ~3 hours work. You just have to support the tranny on a jack and undo the mounts, then it should be right there. Pelican Parts offers great DIY's for almost everything

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...ur_Starter.htm
    2016 BMW M340i

2009 550i M-Sport - Sold
    2006 650i Vert - Sold
    2004 330i ZHP - Dead
    2001 330i Sport - Sold
    2004 330i ZHP - Sold
    1999 E36 M3 - Sold

That diy says to lower the trans but then they say if the dowel pin is stuck drive it out with a punch, which you can only do from the top with the intake manifold off.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadeez View Post
    Holy crap! Why the heck is your engine torn apart like that?? The DIY's I've seen show to go from underneath, no exhaust removal, ~3 hours work. You just have to support the tranny on a jack and undo the mounts, then it should be right there. Pelican Parts offers great DIY's for almost everything

+1

6 hours because he had no idea what he was doing.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by Cadeez View Post

He went in from top and bottom. He removed the manifold (and replaced gasket) so I didn't complain. I did tell him about the DIYs, but hey it got me a new gasket and a chance to inspect my CCV!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1027 View Post
    That diy says to lower the trans but then they say if the dowel pin is stuck drive it out with a punch, which you can only do from the top with the intake manifold off.
    "If you run into this issue, you can drive the dowel pin out using a 10mm punch and small hammer. A new starter should come with a dowel pin installed, if not, transfer the old one over to the new starter. You cannot access the alignment pin from above without the intake manifold removed. To remove from below, put your punch into a deep socket installed on a 24Â" extension - align it with the pin and drive out from below, through the same access area used to remove starter bolts."
    2016 BMW M340i

2009 550i M-Sport - Sold
    2006 650i Vert - Sold
    2004 330i ZHP - Dead
    2001 330i Sport - Sold
    2004 330i ZHP - Sold
    1999 E36 M3 - Sold

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast