Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shaun's (Lublisha) maintenance/project thread

Now that I’ve had my ZHP for almost a month, along with the fact I'm couch ridden with a sprained ankle, I figured it was about time to start a maintenance/project thread for the currently nameless sedan.
    A little History:
    Back in August 2015, I decided I wanted to get an older BMW to learn more about working on these cars/ be a daily driver, maybe in time, if I get the smarts, make it track worthy. I had another car, so it was kind of just an on again off again hobby looking at 330i/330xi’s looking for good deals and watching “how to ____” videos on a car I didn’t even own. Throughout my search I kept coming across ZHP’s, and noticed a) that they had a much better look (in my opinion) to the sport package and b) that look did not come cheap. I ignored it for the most part as I test drove six or seven e46’s, but eventually the curiosity got the better of me and I test drove a ZHP. Long story short, I now was exclusively looking at ZHP’s. Found the car in Tacoma, 2005 6 speed 2 previous owners. Second owner had it since 2008. Very happy with it.
    First Impressions:
    Most enjoyable car to drive that I’ve owned (Having owned many automatics, it’s been a blast). Taking time to adjust to the location of the window switch. Also, I slide around in the seat a bit more than in the e90, as well as finding the cup holder locations inconvenient while shifting. I like the crayon smell lol.
    Current Task List (Could be added to/removed from when the maintenance records are obtained):
    -Cooling system overhaul with belts and pulleys.
    -Transmission and differential fluid. Car has issues going into reverse and first when the clutch is pushed in from a dead stop. This is just the starting point
    -Tires (somehow Discount tire ordered only the fronts and I had to wait another week for the rears).
    -New headlight lenses (Planning on going with khoalty, unless there is a strong case against them.)
    -Clear out the side markers and corners, as well as eagle eye LED tails.
    -Brakes have some squeal when braking hard. Will look into if condition worsens.
    -A way to listen to music from my phone. Undecided on Bluetooth vs. Aux at this point, but right now Justin Bieber is coming out of my speakers far too often.
    -Recommendations on other maintenance to perform welcome! From what I’ve seen so far this is a trustworthy group

Purpose of the thread:
    Learn more about the guts of the e46, as well as ask questions and chronicle my progress. Hopefully, in time this thread can become a good resource for someone coming into the family. I also can be obsessively frugal, so I hope to include the best price options for parts I can find. Cars in general only became an interest to me about 4 years ago, so I’m looking forward to the challenge!

Completed:
    134,970 - PPI
    135,3xx - Black performance grills $103
    135,452 - Repaired VIN in computer
    135,452 - Passenger Airbag Recall
    135,469 - Continental Extreme Contact DW mounted and balanced $592

Picture from the day I got the car:
    Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  133.4 KB
    Last edited by Lublisha; 04-07-2016 at 03:02 PM.

Welcome. Share some pictures

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Smart idea to start a project thread. I use mine frequently to remember what maintenance I have done, how I did it, and when I did it.

Definitely post pics, etc.

If you begin to wish you had more lateral support in your seats, consider buying front E46 M3 seats. I did and I love it. Sedans require a little modification I think to get the M3 seats to fit, but it shouldn't be too bad.

I'll post pics right when I'm mobile enough to wash it haha. Don't want to misrepresent it!

I'll definitely look into the seats, it's not too big an issue, just things I've noticed as a comparison. The other issues would be a much better use of money at this point.
    How is the quality of sound from the aux cable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe the aux cable has some downgrade in audio quality compared to plugging it in to the cell phone's port, but not sure as a comparison to streaming via Bluetooth. I listen to all my music through the aux cable and I'm perfectly satisfied with it.

Added a day 1 picture to the first post. Also, have compiled what I believe is a complete cooling overhaul kit along with transmission and differential fluid from FCP Euro and OEMbimmerparts.com. Note that my list is for a mechanical tensioner, which I am unsure if my car is hydraulic or mechanical (I keep remembering to look after the sun goes down, and it's been hard to determine with a flashlight). Everything look right? and if I end up having a hydraulic, are there any other pieces I will need to switch besides the tensioners? Carts Below
    FCP EURO:
    Name:  FCP EURO file.PNG
Views: 320
Size:  109.3 KB
    *note that the auxilliary fan switch is included in the lower radiator hose kit

OEMBimmerparts.com
    Name:  OEMBimmerParts.PNG
Views: 310
Size:  63.6 KB

Pretty stoked to keep it under $630.00

Word of advice. Get a better quality expansion tank. Behr or oem bmw.

and 99.9% sure that the tensioner is hydraulic. the a/c tensioner is mechanical.
    Last edited by Vas; 04-05-2016 at 06:41 AM.

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

If you are not replacing the coolant temp sensor then at least replace its o-ring...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Natural Brown | Gruppe M Intake | Corsa TSE3 | Michelin PSS on Apex ARC-8 | Koni Yellows |

Quote Originally Posted by Vas View Post

and 99.9% sure that the tensioner is hydraulic. the a/c tensioner is mechanical.
    Agreed on both counts.

You might also consider getting the E30 expansion tank cap (17137639023) which vents pressure at 1.2 bar compared to the E46 which vents at 2.0 bar. Some people believe the lower pressure will alleviate some stress on cooling system components, thereby increasing their longevity. I have an E46 2.0 bar cap but plan to change to either the E30 cap or the G.A.S. 1.4 bar cap in the near future.

I'd also change the thermostat for sake of cooling system completeness. Mine was failing when I bought the car at 49k miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Vas View Post
    Per FCP Euro, this is the OEM expansion tank, just with the BMW information etched off. The reviews also reflect this. https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...em-17137787039
    So you’re saying it’s just the water pump/alternator tensioner to swap for hydraulic?
    Quote Originally Posted by san View Post
    If you are not replacing the coolant temp sensor then at least replace its o-ring...
    Good catch. I meant to add that in there. The risk of creating your own kit!
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    Agreed on both counts.

You might also consider getting the E30 expansion tank cap (17137639023) which vents pressure at 1.2 bar compared to the E46 which vents at 2.0 bar. Some people believe the lower pressure will alleviate some stress on cooling system components, thereby increasing their longevity. I have an E46 2.0 bar cap but plan to change to either the E30 cap or the G.A.S. 1.4 bar cap in the near future.

I'd also change the thermostat for sake of cooling system completeness. Mine was failing when I bought the car at 49k miles.
    I have the wrong thermostat (transmission) in my cart from OEM Bimmer. I’m going to swap it to the wahler engine thermostat. Also noted on the 1.2/1.4. I’ll read up on it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast