Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

My New-To-Me ZHP Improvement Thread

Hello ZHP Mafia members.

So I went out on a limb and bought myself a 2005 ZHP black on black. I say "out on a limb" because the car had a salvage/repaired title, and because the PO was not very into preventative maintenance. I got the car for a pretty good price (I think), but it is going to get some TLC from me. The PO was a female, and say what you may about women babying their cars...I don't get the impression this one was babied. Thrashed? Probably not, but it wasn't treated like the rare car it is.

I have a thread in the classifieds that was a WTB thread but kind of morphed into something else. I figured since I now have the car and am no longer in the WTB category that I should start something in the projects area to document my journey and to seek advice when needed.

For now my list of to-dos consists of:

• Valve cover gasket replacement
    • Vanos service
    • Replace worn rubber parts that are in a severely deteriorated state
    • Save money to buy front fenders and hood
    • Save money to get front fenders and hood painted
    • Find an engine splash guard and get it installed (mine is missing)
    • Identify other missing or broken parts that I can't live with in their current state
    • Get the C-pillars recovered

Don't forget

Cooling system refresh
    Every fluid changed
    Front control arms
    Family that races together stays together
    2005 330Ci 6MT SGM (x2)

Welcome. Post pictures

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Welcome and congrats! Sounds a little rough, but there's nothing wrong with a good project. It's also probably in your best interest to do a full routine maint sweep; plugs, air/fuel filters, belts, fluids, etc then move onto slightly more extensive "routine maint" items like the DISA, ICV and as PetesZ said a full cooling system refresh. Or at least coolant, hoses and expansion tank. Best of luck! And we all love to see pics
    Last edited by Cadeez; 03-29-2017 at 10:58 AM.
    2016 BMW M340i

BMW CCA Member . Dinan Stage 1 Software . Dinan 3.5" Exhaust . Dinan CAI & Turbo Inlet . VSRF Charge Pipe . H&R Sport Springs . CF: Front Splitter, Rear Valance, Trunk Spoiler, Roof Spoiler, M3 Mirror Covers . BMW Performance pedals . Gloss black ///M kidneys . 12mm F / 15mm R BMS Spacers. NGK 94201 Plugs .

2013 BMW X5 M-Sport - Sold
    2009 550i M-Sport - Sold
    2006 650i Vert - Sold
    2004 330i ZHP - Dead
    2001 330i Sport - Sold
    2004 330i ZHP - Sold
    1999 E36 M3 - Sold

Yup, welcome and good luck! Have you introduced yourself in our new members thread?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Congrats on the purchase! Look forward to seeing what you do with it!

Nice list. For now if the c-pillars are flapping, just rip the cloth off of them. I promise you won't even notice its missing a few days later.

Regarding the pillars, I highly recommend pulling the old fabric off and rewrapping the pillars with 3M 1080 vinyl (adhesive). It's pretty inexpensive and easy and it looks as good or better than original. Be very careful with the old pillars, because the corners are weak and can be very brittle.

Project two was to fix the sunroof sun shade. The symptom was the shade would not open more than a few inches with the sunroof closed. It opened fine with the sunroof open, following along as the glass slid back. It would then slide shut with the glass too, stopped a few inches from the front. I read up a little on here and E46 Fanatics and dove in.

The first thing I noticed was that the rear driver's side sliding piece was off the track. It didn't take much to put this back in without disassembling anything. Unfortunately this didn't fix the problem.

I fussed and fiddled and was able to get the glass open with the shade still closed. Now I could see all the attachment points for the shade and could therefor remove it. With the shade out of the way I could get to the screws that hold the glass to the sunroof mechanism. With the glass now out I could get a good look at everything. Fortunately nothing was broken or missing. What had happened was the rear sliding piece on the drivers side had gotten out of position. There is another piece, and I can't remember what it is called, that moves along with the glass as you open and close the sunroof. This thing's job is to pull the sun shade open as you open the glass. You then have to close the glass again (move the thing forward) to allow the shade to be closed manually. The proper location for the shade slider is BEHIND this piece. This allows you to push the shade back with the glass closed. It also allows the glass frame to push the shade open as the glass opens. What had happened was the shade slider had gotten IN FRONT of the other piece. Now when you tried to open the shade with the glass closed it would jam against the very thing that was supposed to move it. Once you opened the glass this thing was moved back, so the shade could move back, but as soon as you closed the glass the shade would be forced to move forward with it, since the piece was moving forward with the glass - thus moving the shade forward too.
    So what I did was just to get the glass-slider thing in the right place, and put the shade slider piece behind it. Now I could push the shade back without the glass being open, and when I open the glass it pushes the shade open too.
    Things were bound up a little bit with dust and debris so I cleaned it up and shot a modest amount of silicone spray on everything. It moves much easier now and shouldn't "jump the track" anymore.
    The take-home from this job is that this part of the car is sensitive and shouldn't be forced or slammed around. It is easy to get things out of whack and when things get out of whack they don't work right in the best case scenario, and they break in the worst case scenario. Luckily nothing was broken here and now the sunroof operates as it was designed.

Win II.

Here's the thing that was out of whack.

Name:  sunshadedriver.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  45.4 KB

The T-shaped thing to the right of the circled piece (I guess it's called the sun shade driver) was on the left, or in front of the driver when I took mine apart. This meant the shade couldn't get past the driver, and since the driver moves with the glass, the shade wouldn't open with the glass closed. Now it does open. Yay!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast