Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Here's the thing that was out of whack.

Name:  sunshadedriver.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  45.4 KB

The T-shaped thing to the right of the circled piece (I guess it's called the sun shade driver) was on the left, or in front of the driver when I took mine apart. This meant the shade couldn't get past the driver, and since the driver moves with the glass, the shade wouldn't open with the glass closed. Now it does open. Yay!

I should add that it was really very easy to work on the sunroof. It is all very logical how it goes together and comes apart. Lining the glass up with the roof at the end was easy too. I'd tackle it again in a heartbeat. I just hope I don't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Reasoned1 View Post
    Regarding the pillars, I highly recommend pulling the old fabric off and rewrapping the pillars with 3M 1080 vinyl (adhesive). It's pretty inexpensive and easy and it looks as good or better than original. Be very careful with the old pillars, because the corners are weak and can be very brittle.
    That's sounds like a good fix. Got pics?

I decided to do an oil change today. Of course this means getting the car off the ground and crawling underneath. There were a few things I noticed while I was under there. For beginners, the aluminum plate was all ripped up and bent. It looked like a tow truck driver had tried to tow the car by hooking up to this plate and the hook had just ripped through the metal. Luckily it was only the thin side that was damaged so I pounded everything straight and added some rivets to keep everything in place. It looks much better now.

While I had the plate off I noticed that the wires to the oil level sensor were all cut. How the hell does that happen? I spliced things back together. No lights had been on. We'll see if anything lights up when I start the car.

Someone had also hooked onto the front sway bar for a tow, so one of the aluminum bushing brackets was bent and the bolts on the body were slightly off. I took both brackets off and got them put right. I then straightened the bolts and put it back together.

I'm waiting for my wife to get back from town with some atf for the power steering. The old stuff looked like it had never been changed so I pulled the line off the pump and drained out the old fluid. Maybe that slight shake in my steering wheel will go away now.

Updates coming.

Quote Originally Posted by ELCID86 View Post
    Wow. Someone did a heck of a bad job trying to tow it?! Think it was road debris?
    I don't think it was road debris. The most likely culprit was a poorly trained tow truck driver, or perhaps a car hauler who didn't care about tying things down properly.

Man that sucks

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Man that's unfortunate.. But it sounds like you were able to fix everything and not get too discouraged, which is important. Keep on truckin
    2016 BMW M340i

BMW CCA Member . Dinan Stage 1 Software . Dinan 3.5" Exhaust . Dinan CAI & Turbo Inlet . VSRF Charge Pipe . H&R Sport Springs . CF: Front Splitter, Rear Valance, Trunk Spoiler, Roof Spoiler, M3 Mirror Covers . BMW Performance pedals . Gloss black ///M kidneys . 12mm F / 15mm R BMS Spacers. NGK 94201 Plugs .

2013 BMW X5 M-Sport - Sold
    2009 550i M-Sport - Sold
    2006 650i Vert - Sold
    2004 330i ZHP - Dead
    2001 330i Sport - Sold
    2004 330i ZHP - Sold
    1999 E36 M3 - Sold

That aluminum piece is a structural support so if it's too damaged, you may want to think about replacing it. It's not horribly expensive IIRC.
    Also there is a filter in the bottom of the power steering fluid reservoir. It's not serviceable. So normally when changing out the power steering fluid, the whole reservoir is replaced... Not that it had to be done but something you may want to consider.
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Sockethead View Post
    That aluminum piece is a structural support so if it's too damaged, you may want to think about replacing it. It's not horribly expensive IIRC.
    Also there is a filter in the bottom of the power steering fluid reservoir. It's not serviceable. So normally when changing out the power steering fluid, the whole reservoir is replaced... Not that it had to be done but something you may want to consider.
    That's good to know. I saw the white thing down inside the reservoir but didn't realize it was a screen.

As to the aluminum piece, there are two sides to it. The side on the bottom, facing the street, is thinner and easily damaged. The top half, which faces the car, is much thicker and likely provides the structural support. I'm sure the thin side adds rigidity to the whole piece, but I'm not too worried about significant damage effecting the performance of the car. I will, however, keep an eye out for used plates.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12