Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    After a brake job, where I replaced rotors, pads and sensors, I took the car back to firestone to check on the alignment. It has been been a year since my last visit and I might as well take advantage of the alignments for life plan I purchased last year.

The alignment was slightly off and they did notice a little bit of cupping on the front left tire... after doing some research on here, it seems like this could be a shock problem. I’ve been delaying replacing the shock & struts since the car only 67k miles on the clock, but it may be time to pull the trigger.

However, before doing so, I want to check with y’all to see if there are other possible causes for the cupping. Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Manny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If by cupping you mean a slight flat spot forming across the tire...I had this happen around 100k on the original shocks. Can you actually notice this while driving, or are you just going off of what the shop said? How many miles on the tires?

The tires have ~ 10k miles. The cupping I see is on the 2 front tires outside edge where the tires is barely starting to scallop. The car sometimes feels bouncy on the road. My gut says shocks and struts... My car just hit 66,800 miles.

I took it to Firestone for a checkup and alignment (since last year I bought the alignments for life deal). What I have not done is “rotate”the tires. Thoughts ?

I’ll try to attach the alignment results.

IMG]http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180718/a7aaad7b412d9989b7d45f68af284e05.jpg[/IMG]

I have the OEM setup (225 40 18 on front, 255 35 18 on rear) and then rotation is out of the pic for me. What setup do you have ?
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

Fredo: Same as your set up: 225-40ZR18, 255-35ZR18. So no way of rotating these left to right/right to left. It is what it is .

So shocks. Originals are Sachs and the price is good. There’s also Bilstein, also at a good price (actually less than Sachs) and Koni yellows. For my DD I am leaning Sachs. There are also kits available that include reinforcement items. Any other suggestions? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AZBP2 View Post
    Fredo: Same as your set up: 225-40ZR18, 255-35ZR18. So no way of rotating these left to right/right to left. It is what it is .

So shocks. Originals are Sachs and the price is good. There’s also Bilstein, also at a good price (actually less than Sachs) and Koni yellows. For my DD I am leaning Sachs. There are also kits available that include reinforcement items. Any other suggestions? Thanks

I love my Koni Sports. I have them ¾ turn from soft on all four corners and it improved both ride comfort and performance. Other members swear by Koni FSDs, and new ones are coming out so you might wait a bit for them. I also picked the Konis because they have anecdotal lifespan roughly double the Sachs units.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    I love my Koni Sports. I have them ¾ turn from soft on all four corners and it improved both ride comfort and performance. Other members swear by Koni FSDs, and new ones are coming out so you might wait a bit for them. I also picked the Konis because they have anecdotal lifespan roughly double the Sachs units.

+1 koni sports for sporty feeling dd/track, koni fsd (or whatever the new red bois are called) for better handling and comfort than the sachs

AZBP2: I've heard ppl use the phrase cupping in 2 ways when talking about tires so I had to clarify. My cupping (basically a flat spot across the tire left to right), was probably shock related, yours is likely not shock related. Do you lean on the car pretty hard in corners? If so, that could definitely be the reason you're getting some outside edge wear. You could just increase camber to address this up front.

For shocks, I went with Bilstien HDs. If I had it do again I'd do OEM sachs or Koni. My HDs seem a bit mis-matched with my OEM springs. People with Konis don't seem to have this problem. 100% replace all the other misc. components while you're in there for the shocks. No sense in paying for (or doing) like 8 hours of labor and trying and save a hundred on inexpensive parts.

Keep in mind with shocks that you can only change the behavior of the car so much with shocks; they are only active when the car is in transition. Once a car is in a corner, the shock is meaningless. Springs, bars, alignment, ride height...to say nothing of driving style, all have a huge impact on what you feel.
    Last edited by nsk040; 07-19-2018 at 05:14 AM.

This is what I mean by scalloping. The outer edge of the tire raise up a little bit.

IMG]http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180718/bd2d2b349a0b7174a1b08da87465aa8b.png[/IMG]

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying
    Before new tires , I would get that rear camber back into spec. Too drastic of a difference between the 2 sides.

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast