Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Missing idler pulley???

Am I losing my mind? Car's about to hit 100k and I'm planning a massive engine compartment refresh. So I'm inspecting the belt area to verify what type of tensioners & pulleys I need to replace, and I saw something that doesn't look like any of the pictures in my research. Not having ever done this job before I wasn't immediately shocked, but after looking into it deeper it appears that I've been driving for about 12k miles with my idler pulley completely gone, except for the bearing!!! Car seems to run perfectly fine--smooth at all rpms, no cooling or electrical troubles, serpentine belt is under tension, no squealing, but wtf??? Am I missing something?

Rob

Correct. Based on that image, the pulley is gone.

The hydraulic tensioner is what keeps everything in check so that is why you have not noticed any issues.

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

+1

The part that is left does not turn so it must be generating a lot of heat and I would expect the belt to snap at any moment. You need to replace that ASAP.
    2006 CiC 6MT
    ZHP, Cold Weather, Xenon
    Sapphire Black / Black Leather / Black Cube

Quote Originally Posted by wsmeyer View Post
    +1

The part that is left does not turn so it must be generating a lot of heat and I would expect the belt to snap at any moment. You need to replace that ASAP.
    This. It looks like there is already a grove in the belt.
    Patrick ///04 330i ZHP///BMWCCA#465139///Jim Conforti Shark Injector///H&R Touring Cup Kit///Gruppe M Intake

If it was me and I had to drive the car I'd put some oil on the back side of the belt. Usually this is a no-no because the oil will disintegrate the rubber but the heat will do it A LOT faster.
    2006 CiC 6MT
    ZHP, Cold Weather, Xenon
    Sapphire Black / Black Leather / Black Cube

I bought the car about 12k miles ago and have never noticed anything change about it's operation. Definitely was planning this ASAP, but now it's urgent. Hard to believe it lasted this long. I guess my tensioners are really working well. Last question... any thoughts on underdrive pulleys? I've read alot lately and I'm torn. Leaning toward stock as I don't track the car, but the kits are slick.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZHP View Post
    I bought the car about 12k miles ago and have never noticed anything change about it's operation. Definitely was planning this ASAP, but now it's urgent. Hard to believe it lasted this long. I guess my tensioners are really working well. Last question... any thoughts on underdrive pulleys? I've read alot lately and I'm torn. Leaning toward stock as I don't track the car, but the kits are slick.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    It is a good idea to upgrade to metal pulleys vs the plastic ones that are on the car.

You can go with an underdrive set or stock size set of pullets.

ECStuning or Turner Motorsports are good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Vas View Post
    It is a good idea to upgrade to metal pulleys vs the plastic ones that are on the car.

You can go with an underdrive set or stock size set of pullets.

ECStuning or Turner Motorsports are good choice.
    I already have the Turner set, minus the alternator pulley, in my shopping cart, but was looking for some other opinions. I have the stock HK sound system with no mods, and probably not planning any that would use more power, but I'm concerned about messing with the alternator. Should I be? I know there are other threads for this, so sorry for hijacking my own thread, but it's really about replacing my pulleys. I understand the alternator is designed to produce the required output regardless of the rpm, so as long as it can still do the job at a reduced rpm I should be okay with an underdrive pulley, but I want to be certain.
    Rob

I already have the Turner set, minus the alternator pulley, in my shopping cart, but was looking for some other opinions. I have the stock HK sound system with no mods, and probably not planning any that would use more power, but I'm concerned about messing with the alternator. Should I be? I know there are other threads for this, so sorry for hijacking my own thread, but it's really about replacing my pulleys. I understand the alternator is designed to produce the required output regardless of the rpm, so as long as it can still do the job at a reduced rpm I should be okay with an underdrive pulley, but I want to be certain.
    I have the same pulley kit on my wife's zhp and I opted out from the alternator pulley as well. I did not want to mess with the alternator just like you.

Great fitment on the kit and quality products. Worth in in my book.

I don't think I've seen anybody note any issues with the underdriven alternator pulley. There are users that have had them for years and tens of thousands of miles. That said I went conservative and got the Rogue Engineering kit.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast