Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Missing idler pulley???

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZHP View Post
    Dane, I bought it from a dealership, who bought it back from the original owner. It has passed two VA safety inspections since then, and been through my local dealership's "multi-point vehicle inspection" twice, most recently just last week, without anyone noticing. I can't say for certain that I bought it like this, but the rust on the bearing tells me it's been this way for quite a while.

While I've got your attention, I know you've posted extensively about 100k (or 60k) preventive maintenance, so here's what I'm doing. Step 1 (right now): all pulleys/tensioners/belts; water pump (Graf); thermostat (Wahler); expansion tank/cap (Behr); level sensor (Meyle); AT thermostat; fan clutch (Behr); OFHG (Viton); spark plugs (BKR6EQUP); power steering reservoir (have a ZF left over from my E36 project), and fuel filter (Mann). Step 2 (soon): AT fluid/filter; diff fluid. Step 3 (before summer): VANOS; DISA; CCV; intake boots/vacuum lines. I did brakes/rotors & fluid last fall. My radiator and hoses still look flawless--no dryness/cracking/bulging, so I'm willing to let them roll for a bit longer. I ordered a new valve cover gasket set, so I may include that in step 1. Did I miss anything important?
    I would go with the OEM expansion tank. There are a few folks who had issues with aftermarket stuff.

Edit: air filter and cabin air filter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Natural Brown | Gruppe M Intake | Corsa TSE3 | Michelin PSS on Apex ARC-8 | Koni Yellows |

Quote Originally Posted by san View Post
    I would go with the OEM expansion tank. There are a few folks who had issues with aftermarket stuff.

Edit: air filter and cabin air filter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Did the air & cabin filter last fall also. I consider those low-hanging fruit, so not much planning involved for that. As for the expansion tank, yeah, I've read about the problems with aftermarket, but didn't notice Behr among the culprits. Maybe I missed it, but isn't Behr the OEM supplier (according to TMS)? Or is "Hella-Behr" different from "Behr"? Behr has a pretty good rep with most things from what I've seen.
    Rob

I used Duralast for one of my pulleys last year when I was in a pinch... it's been fine
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

As for the expansion tank, yeah, I've read about the problems with aftermarket, but didn't notice Behr among the culprits. Maybe I missed it, but isn't Behr the OEM supplier (according to TMS)? Or is "Hella-Behr" different from "Behr"? Behr has a pretty good rep with most things from what I've seen.
    Nope. Modine is. Notice the M with a oval around it on the BMW ET?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1027 View Post
    Nope. Modine is. Notice the M with a oval around it on the BMW ET?
    This from the Turner Motorsport description of the tank I ordered:
    "This is the most recent expansion tank design from Hella-Behr, the OEM supplier to BMW. It replaces the original BMW part number 17137787039." Maybe I misinterpreted this as saying Behr produced the original tanks. Confusing, the way they worded this.
    Rob

Same thing happened to my 1999 e46, missing pulley. I remember taking the car to my Indy for an oil change, my first time going there. He called me and asked if I planned to keep the car for a long time. I said yes, and he stated "you better start to take good care of it." And then shared the news with me.

The missing part was resting on top of the belly pan.
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

With my ET still mounted in my car, I can't see any sign of the M on any spot visible to me. Perhaps it has already been replaced... Regardless, I'll take your word for it.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by fredo View Post

The missing part was resting on top of the belly pan.
    Lo and behold, I went looking for my pulley and there it is, sitting on the belly pan roughly under the steering rack. I'll attempt to fish it out tomorrow and see if I can deduce how it separated. I saw no evidence of trauma to any of the surrounding parts, including the fan blades, which is very close. Still mysterious how this could happen so cleanly without causing any noticeable hiccup.
    Rob

If the pulley bearing dried out, it will create a lot of heat which probably melted the pulley just enough for it to separate from the bearing and pop off...that would be my theory.
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

This from the Turner Motorsport description of the tank I ordered:
    "This is the most recent expansion tank design from Hella-Behr, the OEM supplier to BMW. It replaces the original BMW part number 17137787039." Maybe I misinterpreted this as saying Behr produced the original tanks. Confusing, the way they worded this.
    The Modine ET I just bought from FCP euro came in with the BMW logo ground off and the BMW barcode sticker pealed off. I compared it with the stock BMW ET that I was replacing.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast