Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Very cool ZHP, looking forward to updates with your s54 swap. In case you're unfamiliar, here's some items to address:

If you haven't ordered bearings, I'd recommend the WPC treated ones:
    http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...&highlight=wpc

Change out the CPV o-ring with a viton one while it's easily accessible: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...ight=CPV+viton

VANOS stuff from Beisan (drilled pump disk, seals, plate, solenoid, rattle kit): http://www.beisansystems.com

For valve shims, save yourself a few hundred bucks and go with the Wiseco VSK4: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...eap+valve+shim

If you replace the clutch, go with a Luk kit (it'll have the OE disc and pressure plate), but toss the throw-out bearing and pilot bearing in the garbage and get OE BMW ones.

And as a heads up, consensus on VCG for the s54 is go with OE BMW as it's rumored to be viton, the others will end up leaking.

Thank you for the advice! I just finished up the rod bearings, SAP block plate and CPV O-ring. I was planning on doing the vanos next winter but leaning toward doing it now while everything is apart.

Do I order the clutch for a ZHP? Or can I use my current clutch? I’m keeping my 6-speed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good progress. I'd recommend doing the VANOS stuff before next winter, especially the drilled pump disk (which seems to be the cause of the broken vanos hub tabs $$$$). I have no experience with using the ZHP trans with s54, so I'll defer.

The swap *should* be complete within the next 2 weeks. I’m hoping if I write it here I’ll be motivated to make it happen. It’s been nothing but small hurdles since I started though. I had a rough looking hard brake line that I didn’t trust so I ordered the part and it showed up without the bends so I bent it in to shape and it worked out nicely.

My subframe mounting points were healthy with no cracks. I’ll still have it reinforced but it will have to be when the car can move under it’s own power to someone with a lift.

I’m looking at sending the DME out to be programmed for the swap. I noticed that Kassel Performance offers a nice selection for coding. I’ll need the SAP, EWS and rear 02 sensors coded out. It looks like they offer a performance tune that could be done at the same time. Anybody here have experience with that? Are there better options?

Swap is done! Now just the cosmetic stuff! I’ll make a list of new parts to keep the maintenance portion accurate soon!

Fantastic! Well done, especially with bending the hard lines for brakes! Thank you for sharing the progress.

+1

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Well, after a few months of messing with the car and swapping out countless parts, I brought it in to have it professionally diagnosed.

Looks like the S54 I bought has a bad head gasket.

I have only been able to put about 100 miles on since the swap because of constant cooling system issues. It took me way too long to figure it out but at least I can stop wasting my time with it.

I checked the compression and leak-down and they both passed with exceptional numbers. ~170psi compression and ~10% leak-down on each cylinder. The cooling system held a consistent 20psi for more than an hour with the car off. The shop diagnosed the issue with new coolant and a test that showed gas inside the coolant. They also pressure tested the cooling system and found that it had climbed to over 30psi with the car running. I’m guessing it’s a small leak with hopefully no other damage.

I don’t know what the plan is yet, maybe I shouldn’t have sold my ZHP motor so quickly

Will likely have an update by winter.

Damn, that's a bummer man. Sorry for the bad news. The car's so damned nice, and you're almost there. Keep us posted with how you choose to proceed.

BTW, is this your thread on m3f (http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=608376)?

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast