Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 38 of 38

Thread: KTS's Ownership Thread

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Austin TX
    Posts
    5,042
    Congrats on the S54 engine.
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    146,000 miles

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Picton, ON
    Posts
    6,019
    Quote Originally Posted by KTS317 View Post
    Small update! S54 has been purchased! I probably wonít have time for a lot of updates here. This likely wonít be a quick swap. Iíll update when big things happen though!

    For those of you that have done this before, any advice on things I should do before the engine goes in? Rod bearings, vanos, gaskets, etc are all on the list already but anything that isnít so obvious?

    Engine is from a 2003 M3 convertible SMG with 116k.
    awesome. and since your car is a 2005... you have only 1 wire to change/address in the harness to make this swap work (if i remembering correctly). you can use your existing trans, too. this should be fairly easy.

    things that i would address:

    - VANOS
    - rod bearings
    - oil pan gasket (hey, while you're doing the rod bearings...)
    - VCG
    - fresh fluids (duh)
    - correct software
    - gauge cluster, if you're going that route)
    - washer bottle location needs to be determined (i think the stock bottle fits the ZHP bumper with some light trimming?)
    - LSD
    - RACP reinforcement
    peter

    2009 BMW 335i M Sport 6MT

    2007 BMW X3 3.0si M Sport 6MT

  3. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    awesome. and since your car is a 2005... you have only 1 wire to change/address in the harness to make this swap work (if i remembering correctly). you can use your existing trans, too. this should be fairly easy.

    things that i would address:

    - VANOS
    - rod bearings
    - oil pan gasket (hey, while you're doing the rod bearings...)
    - VCG
    - fresh fluids (duh)
    - correct software
    - gauge cluster, if you're going that route)
    - washer bottle location needs to be determined (i think the stock bottle fits the ZHP bumper with some light trimming?)
    - LSD
    - RACP reinforcement
    Thank you! I didnít even think about the washer bottle. I havenít addressed the cooling system yet either. Maybe I should grab the M3 expansion tank and new in box radiator.

    From the M3 I took the
    -S54
    -Cluster
    -Entire rear end (including calipers and diff)
    -Fuel pump & Lines
    -Driveshaft

    I have turner subframe reinforcement plates ready to go also.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Picton, ON
    Posts
    6,019
    Quote Originally Posted by KTS317 View Post
    Thank you! I didn’t even think about the washer bottle. I haven’t addressed the cooling system yet either. Maybe I should grab the M3 expansion tank and new in box radiator.

    From the M3 I took the
    -S54
    -Cluster
    -Entire rear end (including calipers and diff)
    -Fuel pump & Lines
    -Driveshaft

    I have turner subframe reinforcement plates ready to go also.
    i forgot about the cooling system - LOL. good call.

    nice on the rear end, and the driveshaft! you'll need the latter to make that work.

    as for the TMS plates - skip. you need a proper solution otherwise don't even bother. sorry to sound harsh, but.... that's the reality of it!
    peter

    2009 BMW 335i M Sport 6MT

    2007 BMW X3 3.0si M Sport 6MT

  5. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    i forgot about the cooling system - LOL. good call.

    nice on the rear end, and the driveshaft! you'll need the latter to make that work.

    as for the TMS plates - skip. you need a proper solution otherwise don't even bother. sorry to sound harsh, but.... that's the reality of it!
    No problem! What do you suggest?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Picton, ON
    Posts
    6,019
    Quote Originally Posted by KTS317 View Post
    No problem! What do you suggest?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    i went with the VinceBar and VinceSkinz epoxy + rivet-on kits as they were the only correct solution, in my mind, when i built my Touring. plus they have the added benefit of being totally hidden, so you don't lose any interior space functionality.

    recently this kit has come on the market, and looks good! it does copy a LOT of vince's design. and it does take up some trunk space, and requires welding:

    http://cmpautoengineering.com/produc...-frame-system/

    http://cmpautoengineering.com/produc...extension-kit/

    http://cmpautoengineering.com/produc...cement-plates/


    i have a welder and could have gone with vince's weld-in kit, but he thinks the epoxy and rivet-on kit is actually stronger than the weld-in kit. plus - way easier to install.
    peter

    2009 BMW 335i M Sport 6MT

    2007 BMW X3 3.0si M Sport 6MT

  7. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    i went with the VinceBar and VinceSkinz epoxy + rivet-on kits as they were the only correct solution, in my mind, when i built my Touring. plus they have the added benefit of being totally hidden, so you don't lose any interior space functionality.

    recently this kit has come on the market, and looks good! it does copy a LOT of vince's design. and it does take up some trunk space, and requires welding:

    http://cmpautoengineering.com/produc...-frame-system/

    http://cmpautoengineering.com/produc...extension-kit/

    http://cmpautoengineering.com/produc...cement-plates/


    i have a welder and could have gone with vince's weld-in kit, but he thinks the epoxy and rivet-on kit is actually stronger than the weld-in kit. plus - way easier to install.
    I donít have a welder or know how to weld so thatís good news. Finding someone to come to my cold garage and weld on their back was going to be hard anyway. Iíll look into the epoxy and rivet kit, thanks for the heads up!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Picton, ON
    Posts
    6,019
    Quote Originally Posted by KTS317 View Post
    I don’t have a welder or know how to weld so that’s good news. Finding someone to come to my cold garage and weld on their back was going to be hard anyway. I’ll look into the epoxy and rivet kit, thanks for the heads up!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    no worries!

    i did it all on my back in my cold garage as well.
    peter

    2009 BMW 335i M Sport 6MT

    2007 BMW X3 3.0si M Sport 6MT

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Similar Threads

  1. ZHP Ownership Advice
    By Pupil_Heads in forum General -- ZHP Related
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-14-2015, 10:18 AM
  2. Jon's '04 Sedan Ownership Log
    By JupiterBMW in forum Projects
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 09-06-2012, 05:59 PM
  3. 1st week of ownership - fixing up minor niggles
    By KevinC in forum General -- ZHP Related
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-22-2012, 05:55 AM
  4. After 7 weeks of ownership.
    By 1/2past3ci in forum General -- ZHP Related
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-23-2011, 06:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •