Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

BlueBug's 2004 Daily and Track Build

Quote Originally Posted by Lorenzo View Post
    I have heard that it is addicting and have been warned it gets expensive with all the wear on the consumables - brakes, fluids, tires, etc.

It depends on how much you get into it but...

Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

I am doing my first HPDE school in September. I assume it is an exhilarating experience.
    Yes, yes it is an amazing experience and very educational. It is highly addictive and worth every penny spent!!

Just make sure your car is in good health. Most important areas are brakes, tires, fresh fluids and cooling system.

There isn't much need for too many performance upgrades when starting out.. a set of track pads and upgraded brake fluid would be ideal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lorna.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBug View Post
    Yes, yes it is an amazing experience and very educational. It is highly addictive and worth every penny spent!!

Just make sure your car is in good health. Most important areas are brakes, tires, fresh fluids and cooling system.

There isn't much need for too many performance upgrades when starting out.. a set of track pads and upgraded brake fluid would be ideal.

Good advice thank you. I'm nervous to bring my ZHP it's got 150,000 miles and I'm still working to get it a bit more reliable and healthy. I was thinking of bringing my 428. I'm afraid to bring ZHP and run into an issue on the track and I can't drive it. I know the 428 is in perfect working order. But I have until September to sort out any remaining issues. I just need more time with the car to let it expose its issues.

2004 ZHP Acquired: February 5, 2017
    Lorenzo's Project Thread

I have 143K and I just put a supercharger on it. BP has something like 250K and still tracks his car several times a year. These cars hold up well as long as they've been maintained.

No matter what car you take, the main thing you want to do is have fun. You don't need to push the car or yourself the first time you go out. Plus you'll have an instructor in the car helping you...
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Sockethead View Post
    I have 143K and I just put a supercharger on it. BP has something like 250K and still tracks his car several times a year. These cars hold up well as long as they've been maintained.

No matter what car you take, the main thing you want to do is have fun. You don't need to push the car or yourself the first time you go out. Plus you'll have an instructor in the car helping you...
    Just over 267k here. If your car is safe to drive on the street (as in, you have zero mechanical problems), then it is safe to drive on track.

You'll also find that folks at the track tend to carry around spare parts. You'd be surprised what people can provide at the drop of a hat... With that said, you should also carry spare parts. What, is up to you.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Ok cool. The only issue I may have on my ZHP is a small amount of leaking oil. But I've addressed the three major causes - oil filter housing gasket, oil pan gasket and the valve cover gasket. And I was leaking a little bit of power steering fluid after a fresh flush but today I replaced the gasket on the reservoir cap and so far it looks OK. So hopefully over the next several months of autocross and street driving and then by September everything will be completely sorted that needs to be sorted before HPDE. I'll also be getting the tech inspection in advance by a local shop here and hopefully that will come out clean.

I'm just trying to avoid any surprises. I'm a bit gun shy because when I took my ZHP to my first autocross event, the water pump failed on me - which I know is a normal item. But ever since then I've been a bit spooked. It helps to hear everyone's else going long past my mileage and still pushing their cars hard.

Lorenzo's Project Thread

The water pump isn't the only thing you should do with the cooling system. Almost all of it has to get done.

I maintain my car fanatically so that I don't have any surprises on long trips or at the track. I'm glad I don't keep records of how much I spend on my car; I'd be scared to know.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    The water pump isn't the only thing you should do with the cooling system. Almost all of it has to get done.

I maintain my car fanatically so that I don't have any surprises on long trips or at the track. I'm glad I don't keep records of how much I spend on my car; I'd be scared to know.
    Sorry correction. It was my Fuel Pump that failed at autocross. I've already done the complete coolant system overall.

Lorenzo's Project Thread

Good advice thank you. I'm nervous to bring my ZHP it's got 150,000 miles and I'm still working to get it a bit more reliable and healthy. I was thinking of bringing my 428. I'm afraid to bring ZHP and run into an issue on the track and I can't drive it. I know the 428 is in perfect working order. But I have until September to sort out any remaining issues. I just need more time with the car to let it expose its issues.

150k is nothing to worry about as others have mentioned.
    Mine has 140k and feels strong.

Which event are you planning to do in September?

Lorna.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBug View Post
    150k is nothing to worry about as others have mentioned.
    Mine has 140k and feels strong.

Which event are you planning to do in September?

NCC Sep 8, Summit Point, Shenandoah HPDE

https://www.motorsportreg.com/events...ational-082995

Lorenzo's Project Thread

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast