Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Which modules to code when adding xenons ($522) to Vehicle Order

Hi Guys,

First off, I promise - I have tried to research this myself. I have found out most of what I need, but there are just a few areas that I need clarity on.

I have retrofitted OEM AL Bi-xenons to my E46 330i. My car is euro spec which means that the high-beam halogens should remain active and as far as I understand it, adding $522 to the VO will not change this. My bi-xenons are wired up by tapping into the high beam halogen, such that the flap activates when ever the the halogen high beam activates, I am not bothering to wire it all into the LCM directly. I have also used capacitors to prevent the flickering and bulb-out errors.

Right now - my xenons work perfectly, including bi-xenon. The reason I want to code the car for xenons is:
    1) To prevent the car cutting power to the headlights when starting the engine (I want to use Auto-headlights feature)
    2) Prevent the cold/hot testing that seems to be destroying my xenon bulbs

From my research, I have learned that you can add $522 to the VO using NCS Expert as per:
    http://www.infsq.co.uk/2014/01/chang...ng-ncs-expert/

My question is:

What modules need to be have $522 added for it all to be consistent? Is it just AKMB and ALSZ? Am I missing anything else that I need to know?

Appreciate any guidance.

Thanks
    Adrian
    2004 BMW 330i M-sport 6MT
    2003.5 BMW M3 Coupe 6MT

I would use PA Soft for coding the Xenon behavior. You can use NCS Expert to add $522 to your ALSZ and AKMB but then use PA Soft 1.4 to defeat the Xenon options including hot/cold testing. The interface is much easier.

Name:  lcm.jpg
Views: 5554
Size:  156.0 KB

Thanks for the reply.

Surely if I just add xenons to the vehicle order I don't need to do anything else?

EDIT:

So should i bother with NCS Expert at all (to add $522 to VO), or should i just use PA Soft?

From the PA soft screenshot, I have a few questions:

The sections on the right:

1) "Xenon / HVAC / AHL". Which option do I choose? My car has Auto climate control and a rain sensor..

2) Headlight Vertical Aim Control
    Which options do I tick/untick that would allow me to keep my manual aim control on the LCM wheel (this is not a big deal)

3) Xenon Options
    What is "xenon test"? Should I leave that ticked/unticked?

I realise these are probably annoying questions to ask, but its proving so difficult to research myself.

Thanks
    Adrian
    Last edited by Adi; 04-10-2017 at 09:53 PM.
    2003.5 BMW M3 Coupe 6MT

1. Select Xenon with HVAC (headlight vertical adjustment control)
    2. Deselect both Xenon options since you are not wired properly for Bi Xenon
    3. Deselect the Xenon Test in Xenon options if you think that is causing your bulbs to fail (doubtful)

Use NCS to add the FA Vehicle Order but it really will have no effect if you program the Xenons with PA Soft. I always keep my VO straight myself with NCS Expert but that is just my ADD kicking in.

Quote Originally Posted by Overboost View Post
    2. Deselect both Xenon options since you are not wired properly for Bi Xenon
    Are you sure? Aren't the connections going to the headlight housing itself (9005 or 9006, can't remember) the same for all E46 headlights? It was my understanding that the differences between the headlight options are the headlight units themselves/internal wiring, and the coding for the LCM as well as its hardware. I would imagine that it would be a simple "swap the LCM, code it" kind of deal... ?
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by Adi View Post
    Hi Guys,

First off, I promise - I have tried to research this myself. I have found out most of what I need, but there are just a few areas that I need clarity on.

I have retrofitted OEM AL Bi-xenons to my E46 330i. My car is euro spec which means that the high-beam halogens should remain active and as far as I understand it, adding $522 to the VO will not change this. My bi-xenons are wired up by tapping into the high beam halogen, such that the flap activates when ever the the halogen high beam activates, I am not bothering to wire it all into the LCM directly. I have also used capacitors to prevent the flickering and bulb-out errors.

Right now - my xenons work perfectly, including bi-xenon. The reason I want to code the car for xenons is:
    1) To prevent the car cutting power to the headlights when starting the engine (I want to use Auto-headlights feature)
    2) Prevent the cold/hot testing that seems to be destroying my xenon bulbs

From my research, I have learned that you can add $522 to the VO using NCS Expert as per:
    http://www.infsq.co.uk/2014/01/chang...ng-ncs-expert/

My question is:

What modules need to be have $522 added for it all to be consistent? Is it just AKMB and ALSZ? Am I missing anything else that I need to know?

Appreciate any guidance.

Thanks
    Adrian
    Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    Are you sure? Aren't the connections going to the headlight housing itself (9005 or 9006, can't remember) the same for all E46 headlights? It was my understanding that the differences between the headlight options are the headlight units themselves/internal wiring, and the coding for the LCM as well as its hardware. I would imagine that it would be a simple "swap the LCM, code it" kind of deal... ?
    I may be wrong but I read he did not have the wiring for the Bi Xenon from his LCM. I have the same Bi Xenon setup although I never wired in the shutters so I have no options selected in my config to keep the standard halogen high beams working.

Which modules to code when adding xenons ($522) to Vehicle Order

So the hot/cold testing is not killing my bulbs..? Just an old bulb then that is failing anyway ?
    2003.5 BMW M3 Coupe 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by Adi View Post
    So the hot/cold testing is not killing my bulbs..? Just an old bulb then that is failing anyway ?
    My guess would be the bulb(s) simply failed. The hot/cold check is simply a verification of connection in the system.

My guess would be the bulb(s) simply failed. The hot/cold check is simply a verification of connection in the system.
    Thank you so much for you help! I really appreciate it!
    2003.5 BMW M3 Coupe 6MT

OK so an update. I visited a friend of mine yesterday who has PA Soft and we did the coding successfully.

Name:  lcm.jpg
Views: 5554
Size:  156.0 KB
    For Reference, here are the exact steps I took.

1) Select "Xenon with automatic HVAC". This changes all the other options to the xenon configuration.
    2) To keep my manual Headlight Vertical Aim Control (HVAC), I did the following in the Headlight Vertical Aim Control section:
    -Untick 'Automatic'
    -Untick 'Dynamic'

The above achieved exactly what I was looking for. It removed the cold check from the low beam (part of the xenon config when you select "Xenon with Automatic HVAC"), and now the car does not cut power to the headlights when starting the engine, so I can use my auto-headlights feature. I can also still use the manual HVAC control wheel on the LCM to manually adjust the vertical aim compensation.
    2003.5 BMW M3 Coupe 6MT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast