Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need help!!

I've been in a similar position and was reminded that sometimes banging the top area of the fuel pump can get you going until you get home to fix it.

2004 BMW 330CI ZHP, Silver Grey Metallic, Dinan: Stage 2 Software, High Flow Intake,
    Free Flow Exhaust, Front Strut Bar, Stage 2 Suspension System, Staggered Hartge Replica Wheels,
    M3 Mirrors (Side and Interior), M3 Seats

I would like to throw another vote in for Fuel Pump!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1. I replaced my FP as preventive svc at 142,300 miles
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

Fuel pump is my guess too. I'm surprised it started normally though. If you can't hear the fuel pump prime when you have the door open and the ignition on, then the pump took a poop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave1027 View Post
    Really? I have cleaned my maf several times with crc maf cleaner and compressed air with no issues at all.

BTW, I'm thinking fuel pump too.
    Not being able to clean it is the official answer from engineers. Anecdotal evidence returns mixed results. I cleaned mine a couple of thousand miles ago because it was throwing codes and it happened to resolve the codes... for now. But, not everyone is so lucky; Charlie had to replace his despite having the same issue.

I'd say if it's throwing codes, clean first, then replace is still not resolved. "What have you got to lose?"

If you do buy a new one, make sure to get one from FCP Euro - lifetime warranty! These things aren't cheap.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Easy fix if it's the fuel pump as the pros say. DIY....

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

I vote for fuel pump too. Funny story about how mine went. One Sunday evening, I drove the car about 60 miles and parked it in my friends under ground parking garage, 3 levels down. Came back to the car about an hour later, and it would not start. No firing going on at all. Not knowing anything about the M54B30 engine, I thought I'd have it towed. No dice! No larger trucks can clear the ceilings in this parking garage! Plan "B" came together pretty quickly. My friend drove me home and I grabbed my truck, trailer and tow rope. I grab another friend and head back to the car. Left the trailer above ground, drove the truck into the garage to rope tow my 330. One friend had to keep a very close eye that my truck roof was clearing the ceiling. It was less that 1" in some spots. We towed the car out watching the roof for clearance. Came above ground to a torrential downpour, and got completely soaked loading the car. Changed the pump the next day and it fired right up! Talk about my kind of crummy luck! Moral of the story, change your fuel pump at 60K miles! At the time, mine had about 75K on it.
    Ron ///Man

'06 ZHP Coupe 6sp Sparkling Graphite
    '02 330ci SE46 Racer
    '03 330ci Endurance Racer

60k is quite premature for a fuel pump; it isn't necessary to replace it that soon.
    Unless you want peace of mind, of course. Most of these last well north of 120k though.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Big thanks to everyone for chiming in. The verdict? I learned something VERY important about BMW, and apparently I've also got an admission to make. I let the car sit overnight, kinda hoping and praying it was something stupid like vapor lock, tried it again yesterday, and it fired right up! Ran smooth, and idles perfectly. Here's where it gets more interesting though. I've had a "Service Engine Soon" light on my dash for a few weeks. I thought that the word "soon" meant I had some time to bring it in, and I basically assumed this was a maintenance-minder since I was about due for an oil change. Now, I know what you're thinking as your reading this.

I haven't yet bought my pump, etc. to start doing my own changes, so I decided yesterday was to be my second oil change at the dealer. Without mentioning any of this to them (purposefully), I strolled into the dealer as if to simply be there for my regularly scheduled maintenance. I mentioned to the tech that the light had been on for a few weeks, and that's when I learned that the light really should say, "Service Engine NOW". I'm actually a bit irritated that it says "soon" when this is a full on check engine light. Anyhoo, I digress. $180 "diagnostic" later, I'm told the secondary air pump for smog (that apparently helps the car burn off more fuel when cold) is malfunctioning and threw the code.

So here's my theory: the problem happened after I'd been in a diner for about an hour and it was kinda cold and windy outside that night. Because this pump is designed to activate under a cold condition, and it didn't, it caused the car to have a breathing problem. When I got in it yesterday, it had been sitting in the warm sun, and because it was warm to start, this secondary pump wasn't called on to do it's thing, so that function was essentially bypassed and it ran great.

Dealer wants $890 P/L to replace it. Now I've gotta decide how I want to proceed.

Thoughts?
    '06 Legacy GT, '05 ZHP, '08 RDX

Correction: $987 for pump replacement.
    '06 Legacy GT, '05 ZHP, '08 RDX

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast