Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Acceleration stumble at highway speed SOLVED!

I started this post back in April and finally found the correct solution this past weekend, pre-cat O2 sensors. I have posted my solution below and if you scan through the entire thread (only 6 pages) you can see what I tried, replaced, checked, tested, and what didn't work and what did. My eventual conclusion is that If you have had your DME updated, or verified that you already have the most up to date software revision, and even if you don't have a code indicating a bad O2 sensor, replace your pre-cat O2 sensors.

Post#56 with solution.

It seems that I have finally had success at solving this issue. I replaced both pre-cat O2 sensors this morning with the Bosch 17215, re-set DME adaptations, and took the car for a drive. The car seems to be completely cured of the 2,800 rpm stumble/hesitation issue and feels more responsive and eager to pull all the way through the rev range than I have ever experienced. After 6 months of researching, replacing a bunch of parts, and verifying that I already had the most up to date DME software revision, it seems to have been a degraded pre-cat O2 sensor all along. I never had a check engine light, or even a code until last weekend.

Hopefully my experience can help someone else on here from going completely insane trying to cure this issue. If you have had your DME updated, or verified that you already have the most up to date software revision, and even if you don't have a code indicating a bad O2 sensor, replace your pre-cat O2 sensors.

1st Post from April.

Hi Everyone,

I am hoping that someone on here can point me in the right direction for the issue that I seem to be having. 2004 zhp auto with 105,000. About 2 weeks ago I started to notice a high speed acceleration stumble when I am trying to accelerate from a cruising speed of around 70. The car has near perfect smooth power throughout the whole range up till this point but if I ask a little more of it there is a noticeable stumble like it is being starved for fuel or has a bad misfire. It will eventually get to where I am asking it to go but not without a stumbling jerking feeling throughout the whole car. Verified by cruising at about 70 then opening up the throttle to accelerate up to 90, it will get there but it doesn’t seem to like it. It is fine around town and will only give me this problem on the highway. Since this probably has more to do with cruising rpm than speed, at these speeds in 5th rpm is around the 3,000 range or a little over. My wife says that I should just slow down but there is obviously a bigger issue here.

Maintenance in the last 20,000 miles includes: fuel pump, fuel filter, spark plugs, silicone intake boot, rebuilt DISA with GAS kit, rebuilt VANOS with Beisan Systems seals. Valve cover gasket, and probably a few other things I am forgetting. I am thinking possible causes could be O2 Sensor, camshaft position sensor, VANOS solenoid, coil pack, vacuum leak? I have no codes and no issues in the lower power range.

Any more solid ideas would be greatly appreciated?
    Last edited by daytona90t; 08-21-2017 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Found solution
    Steve,
    2004 330i zhp
    2009 X3
    2013 X1 35i M-Sport

Do you have the OE airbox or something else? I remember seeing some people with CAI's speak of stumbling issues at highway speeds.

Hi,

Yes I have the OE airbox with a K&N air filter and the mishimoto silicon intake boot.
    Steve,
    2004 330i zhp
    2009 X3
    2013 X1 35i M-Sport

I would've thought fuel filter or maybe fuel pump but seems like you replaced them recently so I'm not really sure. My next guess is the cam position sensor but that's just me guessing...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Natural Brown | Gruppe M Intake | Corsa TSE3 | Michelin PSS on Apex ARC-8 | Koni Yellows |

Bad coil pack/spark plug
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP - BMWP brakes/intake/strut bar/shifter, Coby wraps interior, BBS CHs, Eagle Eye LED tails, LED fog lights, GC coilovers, Sprint Booster/sport button mod, 4.5 LCM w/ programming, Xtrons 9inch HU, BSW stg1, dynamat, M3 sedan dead pedal, oCarbon CF interior trim, CF seat backs, 2x2 CF MTECH2 diffuser, CF cabin filter cover

I have a auto 330i as well and I have a slight hesitation at around 2800 RPM...usually quite evident when I am cruising along on the highway and I suddenly need to accelerate. But I don't get jerking throughout the car.

What if you put it in M/S mode and then downshift to 4th and try to accelerate? This would validate whether the issue only happens at that specific RPM range or not...
    anandoc

2004 330i auto | ZPP, ZCW | Schwarz 2 (668) | schwarz (N6SW)

aFe Stage-1 Pro DRY S intake | Morimoto FX-R 3.0 retrofit | ///M3 Seats (power, heat, bolster adj.) | ///M3 Strut Brace | ///M3 SMG Steering Wheel retrofit | OEM Alarm retrofit | GROM USB | Khoalty angel eyes

On the ride home from work today I realized that at 70-80 mph the rpms are closer to 2,500-3,000, so right around the 2,800 rpm hesitation that anandoc has mentioned. Since I am so ridiculously meticulous with my cars anything that I can feel in my seat I consider the whole car. In reality it is more of a hesitation/stumble at or around 2,800 rpm at cruising speed. It could be there in other gears too, but is not as noticeable if it is.

anandoc, have you always had this 2,800 hesitation? I definitely didn't have this prior to a few weeks ago. I will try getting it to kick down to 4th or manually downshift tomorrow to see if I notice anything different.

I am leaning towards a bad coil pack as suggested by BADCLOWN, as I would think that any bad sensors would throw a code.

Hopefully we can pin point this issue and the information can help someone else as well. It looks like I may not be the only one with this issue.
    Steve,
    2004 330i zhp
    2009 X3
    2013 X1 35i M-Sport

Quote Originally Posted by daytona90t View Post
    On the ride home from work today I realized that at 70-80 mph the rpms are closer to 2,500-3,000, so right around the 2,800 rpm hesitation that anandoc has mentioned. Since I am so ridiculously meticulous with my cars anything that I can feel in my seat I consider the whole car. In reality it is more of a hesitation/stumble at or around 2,800 rpm at cruising speed. It could be there in other gears too, but is not as noticeable if it is.

anandoc, have you always had this 2,800 hesitation? I definitely didn't have this prior to a few weeks ago. I will try getting it to kick down to 4th or manually downshift tomorrow to see if I notice anything different.

I am leaning towards a bad coil pack as suggested by BADCLOWN, as I would think that any bad sensors would throw a code.

Hopefully we can pin point this issue and the information can help someone else as well. It looks like I may not be the only one with this issue.
    Pretty sure what you are describing is the infamous 2800 RPM hesitation on our cars. I've read that this can be fixed with a DME update. Some threads where you can read about this:

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...g-acceleration

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=966614
    anandoc

aFe Stage-1 Pro DRY S intake | Morimoto FX-R 3.0 retrofit | ///M3 Seats (power, heat, bolster adj.) | ///M3 Strut Brace | ///M3 SMG Steering Wheel retrofit | OEM Alarm retrofit | GROM USB | Khoalty angel eyes

Quote Originally Posted by anandoc View Post
    Pretty sure what you are describing is the infamous 2800 RPM hesitation on our cars. I've read that this can be fixed with a DME update. Some threads where you can read about this:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=966614
    anandoc, Thank you so much for posting this link from e46fanatics. This seems to be my exact issue. The strange thing is that I have had the car for 4 years and never really noticed the issue until a few weeks ago. I wonder if it is possible that rebuilding the VANOS can exasperate the the problem and make it more noticeable. I did rebuild the VANOS last fall and then put my snow tires on shortly after. I usually drive the car much more conservatively with the snows, and didn't really notice the hesitation/stumble until I put my summer tires back on a few weeks ago.

I am going to read through the entire thread and possibly still replace my coil packs as they now have 105,000 on them and I don't think it could hurt, plus FCPEuro has them on sale right now. I am also going to check my DME software version to determine if it is the original tune. Would anyone happen to know the latest software version available to us? or at least which version corrects this problem?

Thank you for the help! I will make sure to keep you all updated as to my progress, also still open to any further suggestions.
    Steve,
    2004 330i zhp
    2009 X3
    2013 X1 35i M-Sport

Keep us posted - I too am interested in addressing this issue.
    anandoc

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast