Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    I pulled the extender piece yesterday and am actually happier without it. Apparently my sweet spot is less than an inch further from the end of the stock travel, so this is too close, stock is too far, and I'd rather make do with stock.

I forgot to mention how impressed I am with the machining on the part. It even has the little flat section for alignment and everything slides right together. When I went to remove it, it was one of those gear engagements where you can't tell where the parts meet. Luckily I had another steering wheel in the garage to compare with so I could figure out where to tap with a hammer to break it free.

Anyway, I'm done with it and ready to send it on to the next tester for the $55 that it cost me to bring it over. It was a great learning experience. That's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    Do you have to return it? If not, wondering if you'd be willing to let me try it out before I drop serious cash on this...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    PM'ed you last week about sending this thing on for your thoughts before the guys in Canada pass it around. Still want to try it?

Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post
    PM'ed you last week about sending this thing on for your thoughts before the guys in Canada pass it around. Still want to try it?
    Ah yes.. sorry, forgot to get back to you.
    Sending you a PM.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Alright, the extender is on its way to me.
    I'm going to Canada in July. I know Peter is interested in trying this thing out... Peter, do you want to wait 'till then, or do you want me to ship it out as soon as I'm done with it? The same question goes to Prestovie... do you want to wait, or would you prefer to try it before then? This will help determine who it's going to after me.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    Alright, the extender is on its way to me.
    I'm going to Canada in July. I know Peter is interested in trying this thing out... Peter, do you want to wait 'till then, or do you want me to ship it out as soon as I'm done with it? The same question goes to Prestovie... do you want to wait, or would you prefer to try it before then? This will help determine who it's going to after me.
    i think i'm going to pass on trying it. the extra reach for the stalks is kind of a deal-killer for me.
    peter

2005 330iT ZHP | the Growlour

2010 328iT M Sport | smooth operator

Hey, BP. If it isn't too much trouble, mind if I give it some stick time?

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Lazlo View Post
    Hey, BP. If it isn't too much trouble, mind if I give it some stick time?
    If you really want to play with my stick, who am I to deny you? 😂

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

Gross. Clean it off before you cause for delivery to the next person, please.

Received the extender today in the mail. Out of sheer curiosity, I installed it.

The unit is very nicely built. It feels sturdy (well, it's metal, d'oh) and well machined. The attention to detail is impressive!

There is a cutout for the wiring that will have to pass through it, as well as the two holes cut out for the rubber alignment nubs that are on the column.

IMG_20170526_182644 by botond.pal, on Flickr

IMG_20170526_182709 by botond.pal, on Flickr

IMG_20170526_182755 by botond.pal, on Flickr

IMG_20170526_182809 by botond.pal, on Flickr

The bolt included is a larger head (22mm) than the stock bolt (16mm). It is also much longer to accommodate the extending unit.

IMG_20170526_182836 by botond.pal, on Flickr

The splines have a flat section that is meant to be aligned with the notch on the steering column and steering wheel, as well as easy visibility of the notch when actually installing it.

IMG_20170526_182844 by botond.pal, on Flickr

Steering wheel removed. Yes, I know I need to clean it... too lazy.
    This is the stock setup with no extender installed.

IMG_20170526_190329 by botond.pal, on Flickr

You can vaguely see the notch/flat space alignment in this photo. It's very difficult to grab a picture of it, so this will have to do. I was originally worried that I wouldn't be able to see the notch when installing the extender, but a flashlight eased my worries and was easily able to line them up.

IMG_20170526_190110 by botond.pal, on Flickr

This is the section Nate was talking about, regarding the retaining plastic that holds part of the wiring harness for the airbag. You will have to undo the two torx screws that hold the upper trim in place so you can pry the trim out enough to release the harness from that plastic tab. This is necessary so that the harness can extend all the way down the extender.

IMG_20170526_190946 by botond.pal, on Flickr

Please note that the extra ground wire that Nate mentioned does not extend all the way down the extending piece, so it would have to be lengthened. Since I am lazy and wasn't sure if I'd buy one of these, I decided to just leave the airbag and its harness unplugged, and go for a quick test drive, removing the extender upon return. I didn't want to find out what would happen if the harness was missing that extra ground wire, which is why I did this. The harness for the button lighting/functionality also needs to be extended, as that will not reach at all. For my test, I had non-functional buttons and lighting.

IMG_20170526_200840 by botond.pal, on Flickr

This is what it looks like installed...

IMG_20170526_193105 by botond.pal, on Flickr

You can kind of see the extra length the wires would have to travel for their connections.

IMG_20170526_200855 by botond.pal, on Flickr

For reference, I made a video showing just how long of a reach it is for the wiper and turn signal stalks:

Impressions:
    I love the seating position with this installed. It finally feels right, and doesn't feel like I'm reaching for the steering wheel. Without the extender, I would have to lean the seat back so my head isn't touching the roof, and that would cause me to have to reach for the wheel. With the extender, I can slide the seat back a little as well as recline the seat, eliminating 1) my headroom problem, 2) my leg-cramping problem, and 3) my arm reaching problem. It's AWESOME to have this extra extension, but there is the obvious problem:

The stalks. They are simply too far away. I have to roll my hand around the wheel to be able to reach them, and is not something I'd want to get "used to" as it would throw me off in other cars for sure. They are technically reachable without taking your hand off the wheel, but the hand would be in a useless position so it's just as bad as taking it off.

There is also the problem of having to create a custom extending wiring harness. This is a minor gripe understandably, but to do it right, you'd have to source the proper connectors and splice them into an extending harness so that you don't have to modify your original harness. Finding the connectors could possibly be slightly difficult.

I did find myself adjusting the steering column all the way in, since the extension adds 2.5". This means the wheel is 1" further out than the furthest extension of the factory telescoping setting, which is perfect. I would say that if the extender was only 1" deep, that would be the perfect extension for me personally. That way, I'd probably be able to avoid extending the wires, and would give me enough of an extension to still be able to do my seat adjustments without having to "reach" for the shift knob, which I have to do with the full 2.5" extension.

Recommendation: Offer two sizes; the 2.5" and the 1" extension to people of varying needs.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

Excellent write up, BP! I agree that a 1" extension piece would be perfect, but I don't see a way that it could be made with how the parts have to mate. He could maybe reduce that design down to 2" with some minor changes.

The stalks are pretty obnoxious at first, but you get used to it quickly. I think you should drive around with it for a week and see how you adjust!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast