Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Car stalled through water (flood)... now making severe clicking noise

So for the first time, through my 328i and my 2003 ZHP, I tried to go through some water in my block (first time its been flooded here as well SMH) and my car stalled. Even a caravan pulled through no problem, not sure why this happened now, I've been through worse with both cars and never.

Had my friend pushed me out, dried up, charged up battery as well (brand new anyways) and finally did start back up but with a severe clicking noise. So just backed it into my spot again.

Observations:

• My oil is low, not sure why already but it is
    • I saw some smoke come out, more than I would usually see, as I was backing back up into my spot
    • The clicking sound is a much louder version of the slight clicking sound it once made when I was low on oil as well
    • My shifter is MUCH stiffer than it has ever been
    • Air filter was wet of course, and car started after we took that out
    • Check engine light has been on for the last few weeks, hadn't had time to check it yet

I am trying to get a mobile oil change service/mechanic to come take care of the oil and new air filter.

Anything else I should be considering during this time?
    __________________________________________________ ____
    2003 ZHP 4dr | 145,000 miles (ACTUAL before RIP) | BBS 17"
    Hankook Ventus V12
    Front: 225/45ZR
    Rear: 255/40ZR-17 Hankook Ventus V12 evo2 XL
    [ Staggered on square (17x8.5 +38) ]

Engine Blown (it seems)... OPTIONS or trash...

Ok so the guys came to diagnose my problem after running through the huge puddle. Now the car wont even start, and makes a different noise than yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7M9...ature=youtu.be

(Guy seems to know what he is talking about, yourmechanic.com sent him and stated he has almsot 40 years of experience, impeccable ratings)
    He says that most likely when I gave it gas through the water, it got sucked in and a piston or something else blew/bent in the engine, and that pretty much means the engine is gone.

He said he could spend another hour charging me and doing more tests but said he was pretty sure.

Options are, if the car is running, it is worth $5000+. He said new engine will be variable in cost, and labor will be 10+hrs to about $1000-$1500, so I am looking at about $4-5k, less if lucky on the part.

I know the rule, but I also know it is near impossible to get this quality car for $4k straight up almost anywhere, let alone my time spent looking and testing for one. So if everything is even remotely close, I would opt for the engine replacement.

1. Your opinions on what I should do, pros/cons
    2. If i get a replacement engine, does it need massive work to get it to ZHP specs?
    3. Is there anywhere that would buy my car as is without a working engine for any decent $$$ to make it worth it
    4. Is there another option like selling this one for parts or to anyone who might want it as is and buy another? (My community doesnt allow deadbeat cars parked in this area, so I cant exactly sell off parts over months either...)... my wheels alone should be worth selling parts off.

Thanks... sad sad day... and I was JUST planning on taking it to the track for the first time next month.... so depressing .
    Hankook Ventus V12

$2500 ZHP engine DIY

Sorry to hear.

Essssate+
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Correct me if I am wrong here as others have more engine know-how that I do, that is for sure.

My son sucked water into his intake and was accelerating hard when this happened. As a result, he bent a piston rod on his Infinity G20T. The car never once turned over after that. Period.

Your car is turning over sound like to me.

I would ask another opinion. Check sparks, your maf is probably wet, air filter, all that.

As Dane says, I am very sorry to hear this. I understand your pain.
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

Usinjin, fellow Mafioso, went thru the same dilemma recently. He found a good ZHP engine locally. Maybe he will chime in here. At any rate, sorry to hear the news.
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

Thank guys....

As far as a $2500 engine I guess thats luck right... thats only if I can find a clean one locally for that price... the mechanic is asking around but thats the tough part.

But there is no way I would trust myself to replace the engine, unless the guy was lying about a 10+ hr job? First my community doesnt allow "car work" in our driveways/spots. Also if a pro needs 10+ hours, that means I would need 20-30 hrs plus the tools, just not realistic unfortunately.

And yes Oli thats what the the guy said, that some rods are bent or piston(s) are busted, the air filter was soaked. It did start again yesterday when we "let it dry a bit" but we may have actually damaged it more by trying to restart it while it was still wet instead of just pushing it back to my spot and waiting a day. Had to go to some stupid little job that's not even something I should be doing and was desperate to get there in time, ugh, heaven forbid.

Not sure where else to look for a legit engine... mechanic said dont do any of the internet sites, and even junkyards, its hard to test an engine before buying... not sure if thats all accurate.
    Hankook Ventus V12

I just found myself in the same boat today (although for a different engine failure). I'll be following to hear the consensus recommendation. I'm also considering a standard 330 engine and swapping the cams over (to make it a ZHP). Depends on what I can find.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Rob

Well I am settling with Geico for a "totalled" car so no more fixing for me anyways... RIP, so sad, ugh. But my guys found 2 standard 330i engine and one ZHP engine and one of our sponsors here said there IS a difference so if you want to keep the "ZHP" you have to get a ZHP engine, not the regular 330i.
    Hankook Ventus V12

I had thought the only differences are the cams and the DME tuning. I'll have to do some more research.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Rob

It's unfortunate that BMWs seem to be so susceptible to sucking up water and hydro locking. Every time we get a big storm down here, My wife waits for the tow trucks to arrive at her BMW dealership. The advisors make a huge commission on them. There are usually at least three or more that come in.
    They just totaled two of them due to water damage...one was a 2017 with 970 miles!
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast