Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

ZHP Coupe Suspension Maintenance: Lower Control Arm, Brakes and Shocks (Front and Rear)

Buon Giorno Famiglia!

The Cali Coupe has been mine for a little over 2 weeks and I am in LOVE!! I was not expecting the ZHP package to make such a huge difference from my last E46 (2004 325i with the sports package). In order to maintain that level of performance while still keeping it stock, I'd like to ask your opinion and perhaps recommendations on which 1. Lower Control Arms, 2. Brakes and 3. Shocks you have used and prefer. I will replace the rear shocks myself (with the help of my brother) and the other items will be handled by the experts. Not ready to take on hardcore DYI yet... Oh, I want to purchase all the parts and have an indy shop here in Houston install them.

After doing quite a bit of research and I leaning towards Sachs OEM shocks. I have read here that the Koni Yellows are awesome and carry a lifetime waranty. The Sachs are at a great price right now...

As far a Lower control arms, I am a bit confused: does the entire arm have to be replaced or is it just the bushing? (theres a big cost difference between the two)...

Finally front and rear brakes. I am leaning towards Akebono pads, but only because that is what the Firestone techs recommended as "BMW Parts"... But again, OEM pads and rotors will work fine for my DD. I just need to be pointed in the right direction.

Thanks in advance for your time.

If its better for me to break up this thread into 3 separate ones (LCA, Shocks and Brakes), let me know and I will. I am still learning the rules/etiquette.

Saluti,

AZ
    Last edited by AZBP2; 04-26-2017 at 08:11 PM. Reason: spelling, grammar

Brakes
    I've only ever had BMW brake pads and Hawk HPS 5.0+ pads. I quite like the Hawk pads due to minimal dust and it has a different but progressive pedal feel/bite. That's not to say the brake pedal feel was bad with the BMW pads, but they're dust monsters for sure. I've heard good things from other members about Akebono, and I might try them out next time around. For rotors the stock rotors are fine. I opted for highly overpriced BMW Performance drilled rotors to shed some unsprung weight and anecdotal improved wet weather performance, but honestly it's personal preference. I'd also suggest stainless steel brake lines at some point (and a clutch line as they all share the same fluid), since the factory hoses will be old and can fail.

Control Arms
    I don't know too much about them, but make sure you get the ZHP-specific ones. They're more reinforced than the standard 330i ZSP ones. I believe you have to get the whole arm as the bushing is built in, but someone else would have to confirm.

Suspension
    The Sachs shocks/struts don't last particularly long. Mine were completely shot by 50k miles. I and several other members have Koni Sports (yellows) and quite like them. They're more expensive than the Sachs, but they're adjustable and for me 3/4 turn from soft is a great compromise between a comfortable ride and good performance. You might also want to refresh your bushings while you're doing some suspension work. I have a thread/guide on suspension refresh that used mostly OEM parts with a few improvements here and there for an "OEM+" feel. A handful of members said they have found it useful to them when they refreshed their suspension: http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...tenance-Ledger

Hope that helps! Glad you're enjoying your ZHP! As always, post pics and I encourage starting a maintenance/project thread.

If memory severs me right, that ZHP has less then 50k miles and in that case, I doubt that the control arms are toast.
    Inspect the ball joints on them and if everything looks good just go ahead and replace the bushings. ZHP control arms are know to be durable.
    Bushings are actually pretty easy to replace, plenty of DIY's out there.

Does the front of the car feels bouncy and unstable? If not and the front struts are not leaking, I wouldn't change them just yet.
    Mine were still good when I took them off the car at 98k miles, but then again they were done at 50k miles on BMWCurves's ZHP.

My vote for struts goes towards Koni FSD. They won me over in every way, if you like to ride comfortable and don't want to compromise the sporty handling, I would pick them. Koni yellows are also great choice if you like to have the option to adjust the struts.

If you decide just to change the rear shocks, getting OEM Sachs might not be a bad idea as they are cheaper than Koni and you get to keep the OEM ride quality.
    If you don't mind spending the extra money and plan to keep the car for a long time, go with Koni and you won't regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    Hope that helps! Glad you're enjoying your ZHP! As always, post pics and I encourage starting a maintenance/project thread.
    +1

Gents, to both of you, a big Thank you! My car has 55k miles will look into the the parts you suggested. While reading your post, it reminded me that I had a PPI done in LA and it makes no mention of the LCA issues... I will get a 3rd opinion but I have a feeling it may just be the bushings. I have not taken too many photos of her yet but here are a couple I took the day it was delivered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She's a little dusty with the Texas trees pollinating but she'll definitely look sharper next time. Thanks again

Looks good!

Your coupe reminds me how I found mine when I bought it, essentially stock.

Yep, the lady who owned it in Burbank, CA works for the school district and had a commute of less than 15 miles daily. Original owner, never abused and she sincerely loved this car. I could see that when I met her and her son during my test drive. The car came with all services (or as many services as 55k mikes entail). All documents and manuals. Now I know what you all mean when you say the car should smell like crayons . The car is in great shape and I just want to take care of the suspension work for long term piece of mind as it is certainly something we all have to do down the road (pun not intended)

Peace**

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast