Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Easiest way to tell if the FCAB are shot, drive at low speed and stab the brake. You will feel the wheels move if they are bad, causes the steering wheel to jump left and right.

Nice car!

I'll try that and let you know. Thanks for the insights

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[QUOTE=Sreten;529190]If memory severs me right, that ZHP has less then 50k miles and in that case, I doubt that the control arms are toast.
    Inspect the ball joints on them and if everything looks good just go ahead and replace the bushings. ZHP control arms are know to be durable.
    Bushings are actually pretty easy to replace, plenty of DIY's out there.

Does the front of the car feels bouncy and unstable? If not and the front struts are not leaking, I wouldn't change them just yet.
    Mine were still good when I took them off the car at 98k miles, but then again they were done at 50k miles on BMWCurves's ZHP.

My vote for struts goes towards Koni FSD. They won me over in every way, if you like to ride comfortable and don't want to compromise the sporty handling, I would pick them. Koni yellows are also great choice if you like to have the option to adjust the struts.

If you decide just to change the rear shocks, getting OEM Sachs might not be a bad idea as they are cheaper than Koni and you get to keep the OEM ride quality.
    If you don't mind spending the extra money and plan to keep the car for a long time, go with Koni and you won't regret it.

+1
    Quick Update: I got a 3rd opinion on the suspension work and found out that the LCAs are fine. You were right and I just need to replace the bushings. Shocks are also fine; not leaking. So keeping them for a while longer and saving $ for something else.

Thanks for the advice. !!

Glad it worked out. Enjoy in your ZHP.

Quote Originally Posted by AZBP2 View Post
    Quick Update: I got a 3rd opinion on the suspension work and found out that the LCAs are fine. You were right and I just need to replace the bushings. Shocks are also fine; not leaking. So keeping them for a while longer and saving $ for something else.

Thanks for the advice. !!

Did you actually remove the struts/shocks? When I replaced mine, they had no visible signs of leakage or anything, but they were 100% dead and in need of replacement because they had zero rebound. An easy way to test is to check the rears since you don't have to take apart the assembly, just remove it from the rear suspension. Compress them and see if they rebound quickly.

ZHP Coupe Suspension Maintenance: Lower Control Arm, Brakes and Shocks (Front and Rear)

Had it done by BMW and also did the rebound test. They rebound quickly and straight up. I'll keep an eye on them and replace them same time as the rear brakes .

In the meantime, what symptoms should I notice when they start to go bad and need replacement? As far as ride quality.

Had it done by BMW and also did the rebound test. They rebound quickly and straight up. I'll keep an eye on them and replace them same time as the rear brakes.

Sounds good. If BMW say they're okay then they should be fine. BMW dealerships love to suggest expensive replacements, so if they don't even pretend for there to be any issues, then they must be in decent shape.

In the meantime, what symptoms should I notice when they start to go bad and need replacement? As far as ride quality.

Mine were already shot by the time I got them, but what I noticed a lot was that the suspension was quite bad at absorbing small bumps. It felt like the first 1-2" of travel weren't being properly absorbed. As far as performance goes, I noticed that the back was easily unsettled over uneven roads in turns. New shocks/struts and other suspension components made the car feel a lot more planted in the bends during more aggressive driving.

Got it. I'll be on the lookout for those symptoms. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    Sounds good. If BMW say they're okay then they should be fine. BMW dealerships love to suggest expensive replacements, so if they don't even pretend for there to be any issues, then they must be in decent shape.

Mine were already shot by the time I got them, but what I noticed a lot was that the suspension was quite bad at absorbing small bumps. It felt like the first 1-2" of travel weren't being properly absorbed. As far as performance goes, I noticed that the back was easily unsettled over uneven roads in turns. New shocks/struts and other suspension components made the car feel a lot more planted in the bends during more aggressive driving.
    Did you replace the rtabs on your car?

2006 Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Natural Brown | Gruppe M Intake | Corsa TSE3 | Michelin PSS on Apex ARC-8 | Koni Yellows |

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast