Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Strut bar management

Hey guys, so I am stripping my car of all the valuable stuff (insurance crap) and I want to make sure about this before I do it myself. I have a really nine Dinan strut bar and am definitely taking that with me.

1. Is the strut bar that's over the engine held by only the 3 nuts/bolts on left and right, 6 total?
    2. Do I take those nuts/bolts with me to the next car or do they belong to the car?
    3. Do I have to consider anything while removing and replacing it, any preemptive moves I have to make?
    4. Will it screw up any alignment or balance or anything even if screw it back on with equal pressure on all 6 bolts?
    5. Are these compatible with any e46 from 2003-2005?

Anything else I should know so I dont screw up my new car (when I get it), thanks!
    __________________________________________________ ____
    2003 ZHP 4dr | 145,000 miles (ACTUAL before RIP) | BBS 17"
    Hankook Ventus V12
    Front: 225/45ZR
    Rear: 255/40ZR-17 Hankook Ventus V12 evo2 XL
    [ Staggered on square (17x8.5 +38) ]

Please try the search function before posting.

Is the strut bar that's over the engine held by only the 3 nuts/bolts on left and right, 6 total? Yes
    Do I take those nuts/bolts with me to the next car or do they belong to the car? They belong to the car, they hold the strut to the car.
    Do I have to consider anything while removing and replacing it, any preemptive moves I have to make? No - simply remove 6 nuts, take bar, replace 6 nuts. Do not over tighten the nuts.
    Will it screw up any alignment or balance or anything even if screw it back on with equal pressure on all 6 bolts? No.
    Are these compatible with any e46 from 2003-2005? Yes.
    Patrick ///04 330i ZHP///BMWCCA#465139///Jim Conforti Shark Injector///H&R Touring Cup Kit///Gruppe M Intake

Strut bar management

If it's a BMW carbon fiber bar, two of the nits on each side are different and go with the bar.

Edit: just saw it's not BMW

The nuts are lock-nuts and are supposed to be replaced with new after removal. I may be an ignoramus, but I don't bother since I keep a close eye on them and tighten them if needed (I've never had them work loose yet). As mentioned above, be careful not to over-tighten--they don't require much torque (18 lb-ft if they have the 18mm flange).

Quote Originally Posted by TheFinanceGuy View Post
    Please try the search function before posting.

Is the strut bar that's over the engine held by only the 3 nuts/bolts on left and right, 6 total? Yes
    Do I take those nuts/bolts with me to the next car or do they belong to the car? They belong to the car, they hold the strut to the car.
    Do I have to consider anything while removing and replacing it, any preemptive moves I have to make? No - simply remove 6 nuts, take bar, replace 6 nuts. Do not over tighten the nuts.
    Will it screw up any alignment or balance or anything even if screw it back on with equal pressure on all 6 bolts? No.
    Are these compatible with any e46 from 2003-2005? Yes.
    Thanks for the reply... and did you actually look at the Google results? You do realize different places list 3-4 different ways to replace a strut bar on a e46 right? So I assume here I can get the final right answer. I dont really feel like taking all my wheels off and putting the car on blocks to just replace the strut. Yes that was actually on of the results from another forum.

Quote Originally Posted by ELCID86 View Post
    If it's a BMW carbon fiber bar, two of the nits on each side are different and go with the bar.

Edit: just saw it's not BMW
    Actually the one in there I think is carbon fiber, Dinan, it has the look of one, so I assume it is? Does that change anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Reasoned1 View Post
    The nuts are lock-nuts and are supposed to be replaced with new after removal. I may be an ignoramus, but I don't bother since I keep a close eye on them and tighten them if needed (I've never had them work loose yet). As mentioned above, be careful not to over-tighten--they don't require much torque (18 lb-ft if they have the 18mm flange).
    What is the best way to know the torque to that accuracy when you tighten? I dont have special tools, just some wrenches and pliers.
    __________________________________________________ ____
    2003 ZHP 4dr | 145,000 miles (ACTUAL before RIP) | BBS 17"
    Hankook Ventus V12
    Front: 225/45ZR
    Rear: 255/40ZR-17 Hankook Ventus V12 evo2 XL
    [ Staggered on square (17x8.5 +38) ]

Quote Originally Posted by Dathaeus View Post
    Thanks for the reply... and did you actually look at the Google results? You do realize different places list 3-4 different ways to replace a strut bar on a e46 right? So I assume here I can get the final right answer. I dont really feel like taking all my wheels off and putting the car on blocks to just replace the strut. Yes that was actually on of the results from another forum.

Actually the one in there I think is carbon fiber, Dinan, it has the look of one, so I assume it is? Does that change anything?

What is the best way to know the torque to that accuracy when you tighten? I dont have special tools, just some wrenches and pliers.
    Yes I did look at the results. Quite a few options on how to do it. Pick the one that you feel is best suited to your skills/needs.

Shawn is referring to a strut bar that you don't have, a BMW Performance bar. You have a dinan bar. All the nuts will be the same.

You need a torque wrench to properly measure torque. No other way around it.
    Now, 18ft/lbs, is very low. Close to finger tight, and a little bit with the socket wrench. Nothing too much, just tight enough.
    Patrick ///04 330i ZHP///BMWCCA#465139///Jim Conforti Shark Injector///H&R Touring Cup Kit///Gruppe M Intake

Lol "just tight enough...". Like enough, enough, enough, damn to much! Best with a torque wrench.

Quote Originally Posted by ELCID86 View Post
    Lol "just tight enough...". Like enough, enough, enough, damn to much! Best with a torque wrench.
    Agree Shawn, I'm lost without my torque wrench.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFinanceGuy View Post
    Agree Shawn, I'm lost without my torque wrench.
    Nah, "won't fall off" nM of torque is where it's at.

If I didn't have a torque wrench, I'd make them "snug", but do yourself a favor and get a couple torque wrenches (one for higher torques like lug bolts and one for smaller stuff). If you insist on owning an E46, and you're tight on money, you're going to have to do your own work, and to do your own work, you're going to need torque wrenches. They're a "cost of doing business" and a lot less expensive than the car or most of the parts you'll inevitably replace, which you'll want to do properly...