Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

The Clown's Hauler project thread: 2017 Toyota 4runner TRDP

******** NEW TRUCK/START OF NEW BUILD POST #21********

Figured I'd do a smaller build thread for the truck so here we go:

I had a 2014 FJ Trail teams in magma red prior to this and loved it but sold that off to get back into a ZHP (black car currently). I still needed something to haul stuff, daily drive, and most importantly haul these two heathens around:

Vader (we think half lab/half shepherd 1.5 yrs old)

Venus (1 year old full shepherd female)

Sports are hard to find with decent mileage and no rust on the frame. I found this truck in Columbus with 169k on it and it appeared to have been in a minor accident at some point (driver fender flare and headlight showed indicators). When I bought it the alignment was off and steering wheel shook like hell. Took it to my brother in Louisville who fixed it up. He did some rehab work on the frame rust, painted the tails/side markers/wheels/badges for me, and buffed it. Here's the before and after of that:

Once that was done I had a new back half of the exhaust put on (no pics sorry) and installed a static OE Toyota antenna mount with stubby antenna from Amazon. These come with a motorized metal antenna and the motor is notorious for going out. Mine was fried and I hate the look of long antennas anyways. Also installed a brand new alpine head unit.

My Indy recently did a timing belt/water pump/all belts job for me as well as an alternator. I installed a new red top Optima 2 months ago also. My brother flushed both my front/rear diff fluids with synthetic stuff about 6 months ago, front diff fluid looks rather good but the rear diff was black so it was great to get that done.

Ever since I've had the truck the brakes have been on their last leg and the tires ended up causing the steering wheel shake due to being cupped. My brother got me addicted to wanting to dump money into this as he has an 02 sport with lift/tires/TRD S/C, and more. So I began to acquire parts this winter. The list below is what's going on the truck this weekend:

-refinished OE upper/lower control arms in POR15 with poly bushings
    -refinished OE trailing arms in POR15 with HD bushings
    -poly steering rack bushings
    -new OE upper/lower ball joints
    -new OE suspension hardware
    -B&M trans cooler (to avoid "strawberry milkshake")
    -toytec 3inch lift (coilover fronts 650# springs, boss extended rear shocks and springs)
    -BF Goodrich KO2s
    -new OE TRD pro 4runner wheels 17x7
    -new OE Tundra calipers/rotors/pads (considered a big brake upgrade)
    -new rear drum brakes
    -new fuel filter
    -new DEPO headlights
    -Philips xtreme bulbs (brighter white)
    -new auto trans filter and mobil1 synthetic fluid
    -new black gorilla lug nuts
    -refinished OE luggage rack

Yesterday, I began painting the suspension components using POR15. I used purple power to soak the parts for 24hrs, then used POR15 metal prep, washed them clean to dry, and applied the POR15. I let everything dry for 24hrs and it turned out well.

Next I had my other brother hook me up with cheap tire mounting at his work (Mercedes Benz, $40 bucks mount and balance).

I'll be taking everything over to my Indy Sunday and expect the truck back Wednesday. I'll be taking it back to Mercedes for an alignment. Will report back then.

Next on the list is the following:

-new radiator and hoses
    -valve cover gaskets
    -POR15 the frame
    -Thule luggage carrier
    -custom metal bumper/skids from a guy in Louisville ($1000)
    Last edited by BADCLOWN; 10-08-2021 at 03:21 PM. Reason: New thread title
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP - BMWP brakes/intake/strut bar/shifter, Coby wraps interior, BBS CHs, Eagle Eye LED tails, LED fog lights, GC coilovers, Sprint Booster/sport button mod, 4.5 LCM w/ programming, Xtrons 9inch HU, BSW stg1, dynamat, M3 sedan dead pedal, oCarbon CF interior trim, CF seat backs, 2x2 CF MTECH2 diffuser, CF cabin filter cover

awesome! love it. especially the dangling POR15'd parts.

can't wait to see the end result and hear what you think of the changes.
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

As long as I don't have to deal with shaking while driving over 60mph and moderate shaking under braking, I'll be the happiest person in the world lol.
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP - BMWP brakes/intake/strut bar/shifter, Coby wraps interior, BBS CHs, Eagle Eye LED tails, LED fog lights, GC coilovers, Sprint Booster/sport button mod, 4.5 LCM w/ programming, Xtrons 9inch HU, BSW stg1, dynamat, M3 sedan dead pedal, oCarbon CF interior trim, CF seat backs, 2x2 CF MTECH2 diffuser, CF cabin filter cover

Man I love this generation of 4runners. I feel like it was the last time that they really looked liked trucks.

Any more pictures of the parts hung about the trees in the front yard? Preferably with a neighbor in the background wondering wtf is happening

I like the 3rd gen and the newest generation with the TRDpro models.

Make sure to check the frame for rust. Other than that documented maintenance is a plus.

Love these! Looking forward to seeing it on the new wheel and tire combo
    RD Sport Tornado Aero Kit|RD Sport Sway Bars|Bilstein PSS9|OE M3 Strut Bar|Bimmerbrakes Gen3 Headers (Swain Sprayed)|Supersprint x-pipe, section 2 resonator & muffler|Dinan Stage II Tune|Dinan LT Intake|Dinan TB|UUC UD Pulleys|E60 SSK

Small update:

Truck hasn't been going down without a fight. My indy has been dealing with rust (expected with these 4runners) in the parts removal department. The underside of truck is a little more rusty than my younger brothers (how, I don't know because they both came from OH). To make matters worse, the brake pads for the Tundra brake upgrade that my brother ordered for me through his work (same ones he has on his truck) were the wrong ones, apparently mishap with the parts sent and not the parts ordered aka not my brothers fault. In addition to that, the company I ordered the ball joints from (oempartsource.com, great website and located in OH) either sent the wrong ones (two passenger side lower joints) or I mistakenly ordered two of the same. I have to send one of them back and they are going to try and get me some type of discount or company credit to their business due to it being outside the 30 day return policy (even though I have the original packaging).

My indy was able to order an OE driver lower ball joint and the correct pads this morning and will have them this afternoon. Hoping this is the last of the issues. Luckily, I'm off work (its my Friday today, I'm off weds/thurs/fri every week, yay for weird cop schedules) so if he runs into anything else I can try and help out. For now, heres a pic of the rust he's knocked off from the underside as of last night. Now you know why I POR15'd the parts that I did, my brother and I are having a POR15 party sometime this year and doing our frames/other bits.

I hate being in a situation where I drop my car off for work and the parts aren't right or I don't have anything so I feel bad for the situation being harder than it should have been on him. Fingers crossed nothing else occurs.

Side note: the car you see in the back ground is his. It's an E30 with an S54 in it........ugh lol. So much greatness

Well, lug nuts didn't work as well, apparently they are smaller than the stock lugs and nearly fall through the hole. I guess I need to source OE lugs.

My Indy is done minus trans cooler and flush, headlights, and replacing of the OE rack. He's going out of town and doesn't have the time to knock that out so I'm going to go get the truck tomorrow afternoon hopefully and leave the other stuff for a later date (probably install the headlights myself)

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast