Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by M0nk3y View Post
    Just sell and get a ///M
    if I get an ///M it'll be a Coupe to play with, still need the 4 doors for the kiddos

maybe 1182 is available..
    2007 E90 328i, 2014 Jettak MKVI 1.8T

Do it!!! ... ;-)

...Just like I told Eli.

I must admit that I have been biting my tongue from the onset regarding the powertrain of my car. This is the ZHPmafia and I think it's appropriate that I discuss the package (ZHP) and not the powertrain. Maybe this thread is an appropriate opportunity since S54 is in the title..

I've driven various forced-induction cars..Whether factory, aftermarket, turbo, supercharged, and on the street, tracks, etc. Great bang for the buck and especially so if it's reliable.. And with that said I imagine anybody bolting anything onto (or into) their M54 is probably going to be utilizing the parts and research of a reputable company therefore excluding the question of reliability.

gr330zhp - would have to agree with you on your comments. And thanks for the compliments. I always thought the S54 was such a neat powerplant because it just wants to sing, with enough low end girth to get you around, but more importantly with a seemingly endless powerband. Reminds me of the S14 in my E30 but even more peaky! I bought the car because of the package and the fact that it was a sunroofless car. I'm aware of what it costs to acquire a S54 powertrain and figured the asking price of the car was certainly fair especially considering it only had 53k miles and was relatively clean. Okay, so the bottom line. I love driving this car and thoroughly enjoy the engine. I typically shift before the power comes on. There's a sweet note that reverberates through the cabin at around the high 3s - 4,000rpm mark that typically puts a grin on my face. I shift there. When I'm feeling frisky I'll rev the car out but that is a rareity as I just don't drive fast enough and am constantly thinking of conservation. Even when tackling a freeway onramp at speed I'll short shift dramatically. I suppose part of the cars appeal is that the power is there if I need it and the 8k tach is always tempting me right in front of my face. No check engine lights, no cooling issues, no lag, and that sweet Munich-manufactured Motor-made Music we pay to hear

So I'm rambling at this point. I've had a long day but definitely wanted to contribute to the feedback you might hear, Dot. I know Eli has done the research and I wouldn't be surprised to see him go down this path in the future. M0nkey has a point about selling your car and just buying the package deal. And Bulldog's thinking makes sense financially as forced-induction is going to give you the power you want for a whole lot less money. To be honest - if my M54 was worse for wear I would be patient and be willing to cough up the extra money (and time) to do the complete swap. I don't think I could do it to a pristine ZHP though. I would wait until the engine is tired or, god forbid, something happened to the car that warranted you tearing into it.

With all that said. If anybody took on such a project I would do my best to help them by documenting everything I've seen Rogue do. That is another option though... Ask Ben @ Rogue if he would be interested in performing the trasnformation. Then again I suppose that's part of the fun ...doing it yourself. I must say though - he has it down pat. No quirks here...nothing. Just two huge fat exhaust pipes that almost seem cartoonishly (is that a word?) large.

-Terry

Terry, that was inspiring.

Perfect post Terry!

Proves even more all the reasons I love the S54! I remember the first time driving my dads old M3. That sound when it fires up, the rev lights lit up. Give it a slight tap of the throttle and my opinon best sounding motor ever!

Love it!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Terry, can you show some pics of the the zhp swap and I would love to see some of the e30 s14 inside and out.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnmadd View Post
    Terry, can you show some pics of the the zhp swap and I would love to see some of the e30 s14 inside and out.
    +1

Terry,
    I don't think you realize just what a jackpot you hit. Reading about your early shifting made me think "holy crap, if that was me I'd be tracking/autocrossing that as much as I could". I wouldn't waste a minute hearing it sing at 8000rpm. I personally have never driven an S54 equipped car and don't think I ever will, but I want one so bad based on what people are saying. I just wish the M came with the correct number of doors.

Sent from my DROIDX
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    Terry,
    I don't think you realize just what a jackpot you hit. Reading about your early shifting made me think "holy crap, if that was me I'd be tracking/autocrossing that as much as I could". I wouldn't waste a minute hearing it sing at 8000rpm. I personally have never driven an S54 equipped car and don't think I ever will, but I want one so bad based on what people are saying. I just wish the M came with the correct number of doors.

Sent from my DROIDX
    Why not? You have to drive one at some point! It is arace motor that was modified for the street pretty much.

Especially BP you like tracking, you would love the feel of the S54....

just sayin

Quote Originally Posted by gr330zhp View Post
    Why not? You have to drive one at some point! It is arace motor that was modified for the street pretty much.

Especially BP you like tracking, you would love the feel of the S54....

just sayin

I'd love to but I don't know anyone with a S54 that would let me drive it..

Sent from my DROIDX
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast