Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    May also try to do the rear lower control arm which got bent somehow (how does one bend a control arm?) - is this something that could be done along with the suspension refresh or is this better left to an indy shop? If so, how much complexity does it add?

ZHPizza - Appreciate the tools offer, however I'm probably lacking the skills do do this on my one.

704sw (Spenser?) - At this point I'm pretty committed to just doing the full refresh, not just diagnosing the noise. Shoot me a PM if it might make sense to do the refresh in conjunction with each other.

Thanks guys.

I had a knock when going over speed bumps, etc. turned out to be the nut on one of the end links/stabilizers.

I had a rattle that was a loose caliper bolt. I also had a sort of "thud" sound when going over minor bumps that I think was effectively just the shocks/struts having no rebound at the first two inches of travel. My sister's 330Xi had an intermittent clunk/rattle in the rear that was a blown rear shock mount.

I think you're taking the best route since you're already refreshing the suspension, you'll most likely eliminate the rattle/clunk in the process (depending on how many components you replace). I'm not sure on how much work it takes to replace the rear lower control arm.

Found a good shop to do the refresh. 3 questions before I order parts:

-I have been advised to go with Bilstein HDs, but also considering the OEM Bilsteins as the OEM car was great earlier in its life. How much stiffer are the HDs relative to fresh OEMs? Is the real benefit of the HDs that they will last longer?

-After getting the car on a lift, I was advised that the RTABs were totally fine and not worth replacing. What would be the benefit of doing the RTAB replacement now (110k miles)? If I don't do them now, what symptoms may appear in the future that would suggest they are due to be replaced?

-Rear diff bushing...how tough is this install? Sounds like mine is fine for now, but something to keep an eye on...

Thanks

Which shop did you end up at?

And I'll always recommend Koni FSD's for a street car. I just finished putting them in my ZHP if you want to give it a test drive and see what you think (once I get the car put back together).

PM sent.

Quote Originally Posted by ELCID86 View Post
    I had a knock when going over speed bumps, etc. turned out to be the nut on one of the end links/stabilizers.
    This happened to me as well. Just tightened it up and the noise went away.
    2003 Mystic Blue 330i ZHP 6 MT

born in germany | delivered to baltimore | spent time in texas | resides in utah
    aFe ProDry S Air Filter | Dinan Stage 1 Software | H&R 27mm Front Sway Bar
    Bridgestone RE760 | StopTech Street Performance Pads
    BMW OEM Clear Corners & Side Markers | Ziza LED Light Kit | AL Bi-Xenon Retrofit | BSW Soundplicity iPod Integration

I got my car done with Bilstein HDs, Lemforder FSMs, Turner Aluminium RSMs, and reinforcement plates. Totally transformed the car. 98% of the suspension noise (knocking going over bumps) is now gone.

1) There are still a few small knocks (much quieter). I'm guessing probable culprits are FCABs (replaced at ~75k), FCAs (never replaced per recommend of tech who did the FCABs at 75k), tie rod endlinks, or sway bar endlinks? Anything else?

2) Looks like the front is now a little bit higher - i.e. more wheel gap. Is this normal until the car "settles" into the new suspension?

I did Lemforder FCAs, FCABs, and sway bar endlinks up front. Steering does feel a touch better, but unfortunately there are still a few knocks/taps which come from the front end. Front sway bar bushings looked very solid. I guess I could do new tie rods but would like a little better diagnosis before I spend another few hours under the car.

Any ideas?

Hmm...steering coupler? You've hit the big items other than the tie rods.

I just did FCAs and tie rods (FCABs were still good so I reused them) and it totally transformed the car. I'm doing the steering guibo when I do the oil pan gasket as a "while I'm in there" kind of thing.
    Emma - 2005 BMW 330ci ZHP 6MT Estorilblau Individual

Sportline 8s 18x8.5F - 18x9.5R | APEX ARC-8 18x8.5 Square | aFe Intake | 135i Brembo F/R Calipers | 26mm Front/20mm Rear Sway Bars | Z4 Mirror
    M3 Dead Pedal | Lexus ES300 Yellow Fog Light Retrofit | Koni Yellows/H&R Springs | Llumar CTX 40% | Coby Tri-Stitch Wheel & Boots

Awaiting Install: M3 Wing Mirrors

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast