Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nsk040 View Post

2) Looks like the front is now a little bit higher - i.e. more wheel gap. Is this normal until the car "settles" into the new suspension?
    I think the reinforcement plates might be the culprit for this. At least, this is my conclusion. My car also sits a tad higher a year later after redoing my front suspension.
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Oli77 View Post
    I think the reinforcement plates might be the culprit for this. At least, this is my conclusion. My car also sits a tad higher a year later after redoing my front suspension.
    I think your right about the plates. It has also settled a bit by now so I think it's back to normal.

Quote Originally Posted by 704sw View Post
    Hmm...steering coupler? You've hit the big items other than the tie rods.

I just did FCAs and tie rods (FCABs were still good so I reused them) and it totally transformed the car. I'm doing the steering guibo when I do the oil pan gasket as a "while I'm in there" kind of thing.
    My steering feels very good; the issue is just the annoyance of the noise. How long did the tie rods take? I guess each one has 2 potential areas of noise (outside and inside) so crossing off those 4 potential areas of noise may be a good idea. The tech who had my car on a lift though said my tie rods were fine but that was just using his hand to pull and stuff to see if there was movement.

My steering feels very good; the issue is just the annoyance of the noise. How long did the tie rods take? I guess each one has 2 potential areas of noise (outside and inside) so crossing off those 4 potential areas of noise may be a good idea. The tech who had my car on a lift though said my tie rods were fine but that was just using his hand to pull and stuff to see if there was movement.
    I had GMP do mine. I couldn't get some of the rusted connections undone, so I just had them do a lot of things in one fell swoop. If you do the entire rod I think they'll say "we have to remove a bunch of shit and charge you a lot," whereas the outer ends are a lot easier to do.

If the outer ball joint "was fine" I wouldn't think the rods are your issue. Absent the clicking from the ball bearings in a bad joint, I can't imagine the ties making any noise (just sloppy steering when they're failing). If I'm wrong, someone please chime in.
    Emma - 2005 BMW 330ci ZHP 6MT Estorilblau Individual

Sportline 8s 18x8.5F - 18x9.5R | APEX ARC-8 18x8.5 Square | aFe Intake | 135i Brembo F/R Calipers | 26mm Front/20mm Rear Sway Bars | Z4 Mirror
    M3 Dead Pedal | Lexus ES300 Yellow Fog Light Retrofit | Koni Yellows/H&R Springs | Llumar CTX 40% | Coby Tri-Stitch Wheel & Boots

Awaiting Install: M3 Wing Mirrors

By "outer" I assume you mean this part? https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...-32111096897-1

Or do you mean just the outside half of the linked part?

Personally when doing tie rods, I recommend doing both the inner and outer at the same time ( complete tie rod assembly )

The inner joint does wear out as well and create play But the inner will not make clunking noises. A bad ball joint can make noise though.

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

By "outer" I assume you mean this part? https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...-32111096897-1

Or do you mean just the outside half of the linked part?
    Just the black half of the linked part is the outer tie rod end.

Quote Originally Posted by Vas View Post
    Personally when doing tie rods, I recommend doing both the inner and outer at the same time ( complete tie rod assembly )

The inner joint does wear out as well and create play But the inner will not make clunking noises. A bad ball joint can make noise though.
    Bingo. I'll always recommend doing the whole thing, but this is absolutely right. I personally only replaced the outers because it's what finances allowed for at the time. It (among other replaced parts) resolved my sloppy steering, but I obviously know at some point I'll be replacing the inners too.

Sportline 8s 18x8.5F - 18x9.5R | APEX ARC-8 18x8.5 Square | aFe Intake | 135i Brembo F/R Calipers | 26mm Front/20mm Rear Sway Bars | Z4 Mirror
    M3 Dead Pedal | Lexus ES300 Yellow Fog Light Retrofit | Koni Yellows/H&R Springs | Llumar CTX 40% | Coby Tri-Stitch Wheel & Boots

I would just do the whole thing as you recommend (i.e. part linked). Never saw just the outer half of the tie rod available for sale so was curious.

Maybe the noise is coming from the back, and I'm just mistaken in thinking it comes from the front. What would be likely culprits at the back for the subtle knocking/tapping noise (kinda sounds like someone tapping the bottom of a kitchen pan with the soft part of their finger)?

Shocks, shock mounts, and reinforcement plates are brand new at the back. Everything else at the back is original.

I don't know about that specific sound, but there are a lot of wear items in the back:

sway bar end links/bushings, subframe/diff bushings, control arm bushings, RTABs.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast