Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Wow, A brand new pump for 106???

Was it the LF20 or LF30?

I have no idea. I put in my model year and engine, and it kicked out the pump. It is NOT OEM though...
    "No, Donny, these men are nihilists, there's nothing to be afraid of"

09 135i Msport 6mt
    04 330i ZHP (sold)
    David

is the feel of the aftermarket one the same? how does the quality compare with the OEM one? My pump just died and I'm gonna get one off a wrecked car with 48k for 120 shipped

My steering feels just like it did before. I replaced the reservoir because it contains the filter, and didnt want gunk from an old filter ruining my new pump. My cars fluid was in terrible condition though, as the PO and myself seemed to have overlooked it.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

09 135i Msport 6mt
    04 330i ZHP (sold)
    David

Awesome DIY - many thanks. I did mine this weekend using what looks like exactly the same knock off LF20 pump and reservoir. Here are a few comments based on my experience on my 2004 ZHP:
    - Mine's a manual, so I didn't have to remove anything to do the pump. I took out the air box to do the reservoir.
    - The belt tension pulley on mine is released using an 8mm hex bit socket (pop cap off the pulley to expose it). It seems that there is a lot of variation from model to model and year to year in how this is done, and it took a lot of internet scouring and trial and error for me to find this. Then there was the trip to The Home Depot for a hex bit socket set...
    - All torx bolts on my pump are size 40.
    - There were two brackets holding my pump to the engine: the typical large one and another on the back. I ended up taking all the mounting bolts off the pump and the brackets.
    - I was able to re-use the existing hose clamps.
    - Refilling the system took ~600ml of ATF. Seems really low compared to what I've read (2 quarts), but it's up near the full mark on the cap gauge.
    - According to my BMW mechanic buddy: amount of ATF fluid that can drip into an eye before it does harm = a lot :-)

As a total novice, this was still REALLY easy. I guess that doing it again would take me only 2 hours.

Here's a question that's maybe a bit off topic: I can't get up ramps due to the low front fascia; does anyone else have that problem?

Nice work.

As for the ramp clearance problem, yes. Most of us use a 2x4/6/8 in front of the ramp to help get her up enough to clear the ramp.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

DJO-
    Glad this came in handy. If you noticed the positioning of my car, the drive is lower than the garage, and thats why the car is halfway out, I have to back the car in and then put the ramps on the concrete. Now, my car is even lower, so i will have to use a 2x10 as a "step" like what Keith said, above. Also, make an intro thread, and show us your car!

09 135i Msport 6mt
    04 330i ZHP (sold)
    David

My car's making noises when I turn the wheel. Wish I would have done this when I replaced belts & water pump... Oh well, at least I got a sick diy here!

0o0o0 how glad I am that I found this!!!

Mine decided after a long night at work last night that it was just going to go out and die on me......I'll have to check carparts.com for the replacement.

Mtnman, can you verify if you had any issues with the aftermarket pump/resevoir? Didnt see any follow-up post-repair so just curious as to if it worked out well for you.

Current Ride: '13 R56 Mini Cooper S Hardtop - Ice Blue - Manual

RIP Berenger 7/13/15 189,963k
    '03 4dr ZHP - Jet Black
    ST V1 Coilovers | Beyern Wheels 18x9F 18x9.5R | Redline Goods Interior | Umnitza Halos | UUC Short Shift Kit | Stage 2 Clutch | Lightweight Flywheel | BMW Performance Intake | Pioneer 2-Din Carplay HU | Bav Sound Speaker Upgrade | Illuminated ZHP Shift Knob | LED Interior Conversion | Poly Bushings All Around | CF Splitters | CF Roof Spoiler | Projector Fogs

I have pm'ed in response to this, but for as long as I owned the zhp after the replacement, everything worked fine. Just fyi.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

09 135i Msport 6mt
    04 330i ZHP (sold)
    David

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast