Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bilstein pss 10 spring noise/upper spring perch

I recently sent my car off for what I mistakenly thought was going to be a relatively short and simple suspension refresh. Pss 10 coil overs, a mix of delrin and solid bushings for the subframe and rear suspension, and the rear subframe reinforcements. I ended up buying a new diff because the original had worn through the hardened on the spider gear and ring and there was some poorly done repairs from damage to the right rear where the control arm connected. As well as replacing the front control arms and toe links. But that's beside the point.

I had my car in for adjustments and oil changes after driving for a few hundred miles. The right front spring had been making noise on major steering input and hard braking. When we pulled everything out the little plastic spacer bushings bullshit that came with the kit was already pretty chewed up by the spring. We put in thrust bearings on both sides to stop that. I'm still getting noise, less noise, bit still noise, on major low speed steering inputs and heavy braking. Do any of you have experience with this happening, what did you do to fix it?

Also, the guy who did the work fabricated upper spring perches for the front springs out of the old spring perches. With those, the max drop we can get, by taking off the lock ring and milling into the top adjustment ring holding pins is less than an inch from stock. I know not everyone is using bilsteins but it seems like I should be able to achieve more drop than that. I have camber/caster plates on the car and the modified stock spring perches. Modified perches are essentially these https://3a663eb0fef48c6d2d60-a88f8eb...29956_x800.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Asiah119 View Post
    Do any of you have experience with this happening, what did you do to fix it?
    I can't say I had that problem with my PSS10's. Installation was a breeze and operation has been perfect since installation mid-last year. Sorry to hear you're having issues, and sorry I don't have any words of wisdom.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

What did you use for upper spring perches?

Quote Originally Posted by Asiah119 View Post
    What did you use for upper spring perches?
    Stock...
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Also, after putting thrust bearings on the front springs they're still creaky...

I'm not sure this is ever going to end.
    Last edited by Asiah119; 06-02-2017 at 05:54 AM.

the PSS/PSS10 are designed to be used with the stock upper perches and stock top mounts. you should not need any kind of custom bearing setup.

if you're getting binding when turning the wheel, it sounds like you've got a bad bearing if your strut top mount. the springs should not be turning when you turn the wheel.

can you post a pic of how your strut/spring/top mount stack is assembled?
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

I'm going in for my follow up corner balance today, I'll snap a pic while I'm there.

The spring on the right was binding bad enough that it pretty much destroyed that little plastic bushing that goes between the spring and the perch within 500 miles. Bearings and everything else is brand new.

It doesn't add up... to me, it sounds like something wasn't assembled correctly in the top mount stack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

I'm not saying it's impossible that it was assembled incorrectly, but the guy who did the work has built full on conti and weather tech series race cars and fabricated cars from the ground up. He definitely knows his shit. The front springs even with thrust bearings still sound like they're binding up a little when I make big steering inputs at slow speed (right turns in city driving and parallel parking).

It just sounds like something isn't assembled correctly. We really need to see the stack setup.

What kind of camber plates are you running?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast