Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    http://imgur.com/a/IwFKx and the camber plate are silver project/

Quote Originally Posted by Asiah119 View Post
    http://imgur.com/a/IwFKx and the camber plate are silver project/
    gotcha. the issue looks like it's the bearing in the camber plate that is binding (probably from stress, poor lubrication, or poor quality - or all 3), which is why it's likely only happening to one side. these types of bearings are typically not meant to carry to the load of the car, which is why companies like GC use a separate "torrington" or needle bearing (like you've got under the spring) in the upper perch to handle the load and turning of the strut/spring assembly; the upper center spherical bearing is purely used for strut piston rod location and articulation.

if it were my car, i would remove the lower needle bearings, and replace the camber plates with the GC hybrid camber/caster plates (which is what i will be using soon).

GC hybrid plates:

https://groundcontrolstore.com/colle...d-bmw-e46-pair

GC street plates (they also use needle bearings):

https://groundcontrolstore.com/colle...te-street-pair
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

I'm really ready for this project to be over... Im also getting a, for lack of a better description, a metallic slapping sound on moderate bumps in the road. Guess I should pull the assembly apart and check for play in that bearing.

I'm really ready for this project to be over... Im also getting a, for lack of a better description, a metallic slapping sound on moderate bumps in the road. Guess I should pull the assembly apart and check for play in that bearing.
    yep, certainly sounds like it. i forgot to ask about noises - that all pretty much points to that being the issue.
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

I just, with the car running, had my fingers on the mounting bolt...whatever in the camber plate, I could feel the spring binding up, was definitely not happening at that bearing. The sound was definitely present on the left of the car too.

I just, with the car running, had my fingers on the mounting bolt...whatever in the camber plate, I could feel the spring binding up, was definitely not happening at that bearing. The sound was definitely present on the left of the car too.
    sorry, but i'm not understanding your post. could you please explain a little clearer?

if you watch the nut on the top of the strut piston shaft while someone else turns the wheel, the nut (and piston shaft) should move also. however, with those needle bearings you installed, it might not.

i hate to say it, but you really need to remove those needle bearings, and test. i'm guessing one of those camber plate bearings it toast.
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    gotcha. the issue looks like it's the bearing in the camber plate that is binding (probably from stress, poor lubrication, or poor quality - or all 3), which is why it's likely only happening to one side. these types of bearings are typically not meant to carry to the load of the car, which is why companies like GC use a separate "torrington" or needle bearing (like you've got under the spring) in the upper perch to handle the load and turning of the strut/spring assembly; the upper center spherical bearing is purely used for strut piston rod location and articulation.

if it were my car, i would remove the lower needle bearings, and replace the camber plates with the GC hybrid camber/caster plates (which is what i will be using soon).

GC hybrid plates:

https://groundcontrolstore.com/colle...d-bmw-e46-pair

GC street plates (they also use needle bearings):

https://groundcontrolstore.com/colle...te-street-pair

Agree with all of this. I have had a few sets of pss10's.

1. Had them on a 993 that was experiencing the same spring bind. Culprit was the camber plates. Camber plates were from a very reputable company. Camber plate bearing was stiffer to roatate than the pss10 piston. This caused the strut piston to rotate in strut assembly, thus causing spring bind. New bearing, silicone lube, all fixed.

2. Put them on my zhp with new oe bearing mounts. No issues. (i did over-torque the knuckle that caused the pss10 to bind internally. Re-torqued, zero problems after 60k miles. )

Needle bearings for the springs are needed ONLY if the camber plates have a single bearing. Be cautious as the needle bearings need to be protected from the elements.... like with a shock boot. They will attract a lot of dust and grime (causing knotchy steering) on a street car.

Best to get camber plates that allow for spring rotation. Cheers, Jason

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12