Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Trunk harness cable repair wiring set / advice needed

I've noticed for the past few months that the cables leading into my trunk have started to bend and break. First it was the interior lights that went out which wasn't a big issue. However I can not release the trunk with the trunk release button nor my key-fob button anymore and the trunk open light comes on intermittently.

Looking on realoem I found p/n 61116943602 / Repair wiring set rear right (link) with a list price of $550.75.

Has anyone ordered or seen this in person? Is it just unplug the old harness and plug the new one in? Would this be the right part to correct this?

Also if someone that has fixed their wiring without the repair kit could share what wires they used (gauge, type) and how long it's been since the repair I'd greatly appreciate it. Even better would be a detailed DIY.

Thanks!

A common issue on older E46s. Here is a video DIY of a guy who solders the wires together. It seems they are 20AWG wires.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ui9tLtTxXc
    anandoc

2004 330i auto | ZPP, ZCW | Schwarz 2 (668) | schwarz (N6SW)

aFe Stage-1 Pro DRY S intake | Morimoto FX-R 3.0 retrofit | ///M3 Seats (power, heat, bolster adj.) | ///M3 Strut Brace | ///M3 SMG Steering Wheel retrofit | OEM Alarm retrofit | GROM USB | Khoalty angel eyes

Quote Originally Posted by anandoc View Post
    A common issue on older E46s. Here is a video DIY of a guy who solders the wires together. It seems they are 20AWG wires.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ui9tLtTxXc
    Thanks for the link.

I don't remember where I saw it but someone replaced the whole section of wire with one that is less prone to breakage.

I'd hate to have to go back after it breaks.

If you pull the rubber insulation back from the trunk lid & compress it you may find the broken wires. Repair the broken ones that you find & add some shrink wrap to help avoid the situation in the future. Much cheaper than $550!
    2006 330ci ZHP - Silbergrau Metallic / Stoff Laser/Anthrazit / Alu Black Cube trim / Adaptive Xenon headlights / HK hi-fi system / heated front seats

I bought a full trunk wiring harness from a part-out for like $50, and spliced everything back by the battery. In hindsight, it would've been significantly easier to just patch individual wires, but I was feeling ambitious.

I'd just buy some 20AWG, and replace about a 3' section, splicing each end a decent distance away from the hinge.
    Emma - 2005 BMW 330ci ZHP 6MT Estorilblau Individual

Sportline 8s 18x8.5F - 18x9.5R | APEX ARC-8 18x8.5 Square | aFe Intake | 135i Brembo F/R Calipers | 26mm Front/20mm Rear Sway Bars | Z4 Mirror
    M3 Dead Pedal | Lexus ES300 Yellow Fog Light Retrofit | Koni Yellows/H&R Springs | Llumar CTX 40% | Coby Tri-Stitch Wheel & Boots

Awaiting Install: M3 Wing Mirrors

Quote Originally Posted by 704sw View Post
    I bought a full trunk wiring harness from a part-out for like $50, and spliced everything back by the battery. In hindsight, it would've been significantly easier to just patch individual wires, but I was feeling ambitious.

I'd just buy some 20AWG, and replace about a 3' section, splicing each end a decent distance away from the hinge.
    Thanks, I've got 18 gauge silicone wire coming in from Amazon and plan to do that.

Does the harness extend down by the battery (end that goes in towards the cabin)? I've wondered how people manage to cut the whole trunk harness out to repair it - if so that seems easily accessable.

The harness I posted in the OP makes it seem like it's easy to replace since there appears to be clips on each end. However I've read some threads that state that the harness is one piece, front to back in a single loom/non-modular.