Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Garmin ecoRoute HD and Android = gauges/code reader for $100

I picked up a new GPS recently and also bought the ecoRoute HD module that is a Bluetooth module that plugs into the OBDII port and it gives you the option to show coolant temp, voltage and about 7 or 8 other options for a gauge readout. Some are kinda useless though, I mainly wanted those two. On the GPS you can pick from showing 5 different gauges. This is how I had mine setup the other day.....

That temp was while my car was still warming up, normal operating temp is right around 200-205.

Now about Android....if you have an Android phone you can just buy the ecoRoute HD module for $100 and download the Garmin Mechanic app and it works similar to how it does on the GPS. It looks though like you can only pick 3 gauges to show at a time. It also works as a code reader and can reset a Check Engine light. There's even a few options on the Android app that I can't do like a shift light and rev limit light and check 0-60mph and 1/4 mile times. Also, on both versions there is a nice current MPG readout that also shows fuel used and cost.

Garmin Mech app.....

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=94688

This is the GPS I got....

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=87930

Same GPS unit at Amazon.com (and cheaper).

.......pretty slick unit but some of the things about how it operates make me wish I had my big old Garmin back. They've dumbed down their GPSs in recent years, I had more setting options on my old one. I'm still debating if I am going to keep it or not but there's no doubt the gauges readout is great to have. I wish I had an Android phone now then all I would need is the $100 ecoRoute HD module.

Barry

Looks fun....Thanks for the writeup.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Looks fun....Thanks for the writeup.
    Glad to be able to contribute something useful. Too bad they don't have an app for iphone/touch.......yet. Supposedly the Dynavin will be available with an Android OS later this year. Like I said, I'm not completely satisfied with the GPS and if I don't keep it I might go with a Dynavin but if I do that I have to decide if I want to wait till it does come with Android. You can also get cheaper Garmins that work with the ecoRoute HD module. That would be an option for me, get a cheaper GPS and wait for the Android Dynavin. One of the things I don't like about this GPS is the Bluetooth phone doesn't sound all that great with the built in mic. I had a different Garmin a couple years ago with an external mic that sounded great. But then again, I don't even own a cellphone, mine is from work and I don't really talk on it all that much in the car when not working.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMaico View Post
    Supposedly the Dynavin will be available with an Android OS later this year.
    Boy do I hope this is just a firmware update....

edit: doesn't sound like it is

If you want a solution for iOS you could get a PLX Kiwi Wifi. http://www.plxkiwi.com/kiwiwifi/hardware.html This is what I'll be getting in a few weeks to use with Harry's GPS LapTimer. It can also read and clear codes, view coolant temp, etc with FuzzyCar. Other apps offer a wide range of different things you can do with it.

My Project Thread
    Register Your ZHP | CoolantSnitch

2005 ZHP 6MT Mods: AFE Intake, Carbon Fiber Hood w/ M3 Bulge, Meyle HD FCAB's, Zionsville T-Stat @ 88°C, Stewart WP, BMW Perf. Rotors F+R, Oil Temp & Press. Gauges, Alcantara Wheel w/ CF Trim, Alum. Pedals + E-Brake, Black Kidney's, Aux Input, Beltronics RX-75 Pro Radar Detector, Beisan Seals + Rattle Kit, Armrest Delete, Schroth Harness, StopTech Pads, SSR Comp-H's

spencers Guest
    Harry's GPS Laptimer rocks!!

Quote Originally Posted by MasterC17 View Post
    If you want a solution for iOS you could get a PLX Kiwi Wifi. http://www.plxkiwi.com/kiwiwifi/hardware.html This is what I'll be getting in a few weeks to use with Harry's GPS LapTimer. It can also read and clear codes, view coolant temp, etc with FuzzyCar. Other apps offer a wide range of different things you can do with it.
    I got a PM from a guy at E46F last week who said he used to have a Kiwi and the coolant temp readout wouldn't work on his E46. I just sent him another PM to check how long ago this was. Seems like if my car is reading coolant temp from the OBDII port it should have worked with the Kiwi as well. I'll let you know what he says.

Otherwise that looks pretty cool. LOTS of options with that thing!

Barry

Quote Originally Posted by spencers View Post
    Harry's GPS Laptimer rocks!!
    It does, I love it, plus the developer is really good.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMaico View Post
    I got a PM from a guy at E46F last week who said he used to have a Kiwi and the coolant temp readout wouldn't work on his E46. I just sent him another PM to check how long ago this was. Seems like if my car is reading coolant temp from the OBDII port it should have worked with the Kiwi as well. I'll let you know what he says.

Otherwise that looks pretty cool. LOTS of options with that thing!

Barry
    Hmm, somehow that doesn't particularly surprise me; the E46's electronics are a bit different than most. Although if the Garmin is working I would assume the Kiwi should too.

My Project Thread
    Register Your ZHP | CoolantSnitch

2005 ZHP 6MT Mods: AFE Intake, Carbon Fiber Hood w/ M3 Bulge, Meyle HD FCAB's, Zionsville T-Stat @ 88°C, Stewart WP, BMW Perf. Rotors F+R, Oil Temp & Press. Gauges, Alcantara Wheel w/ CF Trim, Alum. Pedals + E-Brake, Black Kidney's, Aux Input, Beltronics RX-75 Pro Radar Detector, Beisan Seals + Rattle Kit, Armrest Delete, Schroth Harness, StopTech Pads, SSR Comp-H's

spencers Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterC17 View Post
    Hmm, somehow that doesn't particularly surprise me; the E46's electronics are a bit different than most. Although if the Garmin is working I would assume the Kiwi should too.
    I don't recall seeing the coolant temperature when I was testing dotpage's Kiwi Wifi with Harry's GPS LapTimer. I'll dump a couple data files from my runs to see if it was output.

If not, Harry said it'll be in the upcoming version 13.3
    Source: http://www.gps-laptimer-forum.de/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=26

Interesting - I have a Blue Tooth capable Garmin - It's Nuvi 815, I think...I wonder if that would work too...And I do remember seeing the Eco Route option...
    2005 AW ZHP Coupe. CW, Alcantara, Leather st. wheel, HK, Xenons, Step, Dinan chip & air box, USASpec, Sprint Booster

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast