Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I had the square set of 17's. Very practical choice. Light, rotateable, don't have to modify vehicle, etc. Sold them to San. If I could do it again I'd go with the 17x9 concave and roll the fenders. Gotta go concave. Concave 17's make the choice easier vs. 18's. 18's of other wheel types look better. As for price, you've waited this long...wait for the group buy.

Current:
    1988 BMW 325is
    1996 Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ80 x3 Locked - Restoration/Project Thread on ih8mud.com
    Sold:
    "Scarlett" the 2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT - Project/Maintenance Thread
    2011 BMW M3 E92 6MT - Info/Maintenance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by NoVAphotog View Post
    I had the square set of 17's. Very practical choice. Light, rotateable, don't have to modify vehicle, etc. Sold them to San. If I could do it again I'd go with the 17x9 concave and roll the fenders. Gotta go concave. Concave 17's make the choice easier vs. 18's. 18's of other wheel types look better. As for price, you've waited this long...wait for the group buy.
    A roll wouldn't cut it with the concave 17's... It's still a very aggressive fitment.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    i love PSS. they are the best balance of wet + dry grip, low weight, long life, steering feel, and quiet ride, that i have tried. that said, the new PS4S is out, albeit in limited sizes, and that is supposed to be even better than the PSS, of course.

i've been fortunate to try all sorts of different tires, and only run michelins now on both E46s for both summer and winter use - PSS for summer on the red Touring, PS A/S 3 on the black Touring, and X-Ice3 for winter on both. everything else has been 'compromised' in some way or another... i just feel most confident and secure on the tires i'm running.
    Long life?

Sent from my S8+
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

I went with 18's on my ZHP because they look better and were on sale ($200 off the set as part of a recent group buy--putting them at about $900 with free shipping). I wanted a square set-up and didn't quite dare to go with 255's in the front, and I'm glad I didn't because, with ET38, the 245's are perfectly flush with the fender--ET45 would definitely be better on the outside with 255's (rears would probably be fine, but then you'd be somewhat staggered again), but I can't speak to the clearance on the inside. I wasn't terribly excited about the performance trade-off of going slightly larger on tire OD, but I wanted to fill the wheel well a bit more, and I have no plans to lower the suspension (although I still could). I also wanted to offset the error in my speedo, which it does (spot on according to Smokey's speed signs). Finally, I'm not a racer, and I live in Vermont, so having a little more tire wall with lightweight wheels seemed prudent to me. All in all, for my situation, I couldn't be happier. By the way, the reduction in unsprung weight of more than 40 pounds, compared to the 135's, has more than made up for the slight increase in diameter--she's definitely quicker than she was.

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Long life?

Sent from my S8+
    25K miles should be easily achievable... unless you're trevor and hang the tail end out heading into the office parking lot every day...
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    25K miles should be easily achievable... unless you're trevor and hang the tail end out heading into the office parking lot every day...
    CCTV footage of Trevor coming into work:

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    CCTV footage of Trevor coming into work:

LOL!!! classic!
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Hi!

17x8.5 +40 here with 245/40/17 PSS.

PSS is a great tire. I miss the level of grip from my Star Specs but due my car returning to daily duties for a few months, it made sense to buy PSS instead of extreme track tires.

Few things I want to note:
    Clearance on the shock spring perch is something to be concerned about with 17x9. Since I'm on coilovers, the spring perch is significantly smaller than the stock one so I never was worried about it with my 17x8.5 rims.
    Full lock to lock may rub on the sway bar. It rubs on my 30mm Front Sway Bar with the 17x8.5 so YMMV!

17s tire are significantly cheaper, so if tires get replaced often, this will pay for itself in a few years.

Pic for attention.

Alright I just did some math to figure out the cost difference between 18's and 17's. It's roughly $340 cheaper to go with the 17's 245's than it is to go with 18's 255's. I can get tires for a bit cheaper than tire rack by using my costco membership.

Should I wait for a group buy? I want to, but its not very smart. I need new tires on the front badly. Fronts have been on the car for over 4 years now and the tread is getting thin. Not to mention one of the front rims is bent and causing vibrations at highway speeds. To top it off one of the front tires is either really unbalanced, or has a permanent flat spot - Very loud "wub wub wub" noises at all speeds.

I've been looking at pictures of both 18's and 17's trying to figure out what I should go with. Derbo that last picture you posted sold me on the 17's. The price, the look, the comfort of hitting bumps and not crying myself to sleep - I dig it.

So my last questions are these,

Running 17x8.5 ET40 245/40/17 should fit my car just fine right? I am running an H&R Touring Cup Kit so my car is a little bit lower than stock.

Am I an idiot to try and run 255's on the 17's? Are the performance gains of 10mm on each tire negligible or is it just going to be too much of a headache to get the fitment right?

Is there a best place to buy the Apex rims from when not doing a group buy? Buying from Apex directly seems cheaper, but I don't think I've factored in shipping yet.

Thank you to everyone posting in this thread. I'm a lot older and make a lot more than I did when I bought the car 6 years ago, but spending 2 grand at one time is still a lot to think about. I tend to research stuff to death to make sure I make the right decision, and everyone's help here is greatly appreciated.
    2005 Jet Black 6MT ZHP "Family First"
    ~Rob~

I will say that the 17s don't look as small in person compared to photos. I'm not sure why that is, but whenever I take a picture of my car I think "man the wheels look small" but then I look at them in person and they look great, IMO. Derbo is who convinced me to go for the 17s when I saw his car and he helped me out in my wheel fitment thread from a while ago, which you might want to read through if you haven't already (Link)

Waiting is a tough decision. When I purchased my APEX ARC8 17x8.5" ET40 set through the group buy, it saved me $150 and shipping was free. I had waited a few months for it to pop up (group buy was in February), but then it seemed they had a group buy every 2-3 months after that. You could contact Apex and see if they know when the next group buy might be.

As for tire sizing, I can't speak from experience but I recall Derek (Derbo) saying he was planning to go up to 255s all around a year or two ago. You will most likely lose out on some steering communication and possibly cause some tramlining from such a wide tire up front, but you should have more grip. That said, I have 245s all around and have zero interest in bumping that up to 255s. 245s have made the car more neutral, the car still has tons of grip, and the steering feel is great. I didn't have to do any sort of adjustment to my fenders or adjust camber for them to fit either, just bolted them on.

EDIT: Here's a larger version of my signature pic with said 17x8.5" ET40 in Hyper Black on factory springs i.e. stock ride height

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast