Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Newjack View Post
    Alright I just did some math to figure out the cost difference between 18's and 17's. It's roughly $340 cheaper to go with the 17's 245's than it is to go with 18's 255's. I can get tires for a bit cheaper than tire rack by using my costco membership.

Should I wait for a group buy? I want to, but its not very smart. I need new tires on the front badly. Fronts have been on the car for over 4 years now and the tread is getting thin. Not to mention one of the front rims is bent and causing vibrations at highway speeds. To top it off one of the front tires is either really unbalanced, or has a permanent flat spot - Very loud "wub wub wub" noises at all speeds.

I've been looking at pictures of both 18's and 17's trying to figure out what I should go with. Derbo that last picture you posted sold me on the 17's. The price, the look, the comfort of hitting bumps and not crying myself to sleep - I dig it.

So my last questions are these,

Running 17x8.5 ET40 245/40/17 should fit my car just fine right? I am running an H&R Touring Cup Kit so my car is a little bit lower than stock.

Am I an idiot to try and run 255's on the 17's? Are the performance gains of 10mm on each tire negligible or is it just going to be too much of a headache to get the fitment right?

Is there a best place to buy the Apex rims from when not doing a group buy? Buying from Apex directly seems cheaper, but I don't think I've factored in shipping yet.

Thank you to everyone posting in this thread. I'm a lot older and make a lot more than I did when I bought the car 6 years ago, but spending 2 grand at one time is still a lot to think about. I tend to research stuff to death to make sure I make the right decision, and everyone's help here is greatly appreciated.
    You already noted a large amount of problems that would be solved by replacing your rims. I say just do it! I bought them directly from Apex myself since they are about 1.5hrs away from me.

As your question, yes. It fits fine. No issues on my end. Like BMWCurves mention, they do look smaller in size in person. I personally got them for cheaper tires while not sacrificing too much. I used to go through tires every 6 months so the 17s" made sense to me.

255/40/17 is actually the proper tire size to match the stock ZHP tire diameter. I opt for 245/40/17 for rubbing issues. I was planning to go back to 255/40/17 but I needed tires for daily duty and PSS didn't make a 255/40/17. Next time around, I'll switch to 255/40/17.

In your situation, either tire size is fine. You will hear a little more road noise with a larger contact patch, tramline, minor extra weight, for the extra grip. IMO, 245/40/17 is still a great tire size (stock rear non-ZHP 330i.)

Another pic for attention.

I run 18 x 8.5 245/35 square, PSS, on H&R Touring Cup Kit on 135s with no problem. I think the 255s worked too IIRC.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Thought i'd chime in. I'd go for 17s. I'm running 17x9 ET42 w/ 245/40/17s michelin PSS, eibach pro kit w/ koni yellows. Absolutely love the setup and have no fender modifications or rubbing issues . I do sorta wish I went with the 17x9 ET30 (for the concave look since it seems like some people are making them fit with no rubbing?). But either way, I highly recommend. The amount you save on the 17s vs 18s is significant. But to be honest, the single best thing about 17s instead of 18s is the ride comfort... The 17s look really good in person and most people think they are 18s. IMO, the key to make them look bigger is to get one of the darker colors (hyperblack or anthracite) instead of the hypersilver. The brighter the color, the more the rim/tire junction is evident and thus the smaller size being evident. Also, don't put a 45 aspect ratio tire on, it makes the tire walls too fat and makes the wheel look tiny. I've seen a few people run 245/45/17 and it looks terrible imo....

I test fitted 17x9 et 42 a long time ago.

17x8.5 +40, front has a 3mm spacer for clearance with the StopTech Caliper so it would be more sunken in.

18x8.5 +40 255/35/18 RE11s on my RPF1

Can't go wrong with either size! I personally think the 18s look great for a daily. HPDE, I would go with 17 all day.

Watch this vid for some good info

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPyg3ilw3KU

Article for more knowledge

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article...inch-tyres.htm

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Didn't really read the thread. But I know what you don't want lol 18 x 9.5" ET35 Also, it's pretty weird to see all the apex with flat faces. I guess it looks ok on sedans. I like the concave look more though.

Quote Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
    Didn't really read the thread. But I know what you don't want lol 18 x 9.5" ET35 Also, it's pretty weird to see all the apex with flat faces. I guess it looks ok on sedans. I like the concave look more though.
    ¿porque no 18x9.5?

Quote Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
    If I could get a non-flat face and clear my fenders, I would have that..

Quote Originally Posted by derbo View Post
    If I could get a non-flat face and clear my fenders, I would have that..
    This alone is the reason I went with a different wheel. I love them, but not the profile 1.
    Emma - 2005 BMW 330ci ZHP 6MT Estorilblau Individual

Sportline 8s 18x8.5F - 18x9.5R | APEX ARC-8 18x8.5 Square | aFe Intake | 135i Brembo F/R Calipers | 26mm Front/20mm Rear Sway Bars | Z4 Mirror
    M3 Dead Pedal | Lexus ES300 Yellow Fog Light Retrofit | Koni Yellows/H&R Springs | Llumar CTX 40% | Coby Tri-Stitch Wheel & Boots

Awaiting Install: M3 Wing Mirrors

Quote Originally Posted by 704sw View Post
    This alone is the reason I went with a different wheel. I love them, but not the profile 1.

I'm too cheap. I wanted clearance with BBK

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast