Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Automatic transmission GM A5S 390R

I have read many posts on replacing transmission fluid with non-OEM and wth out a complete fluid replacement. (drain, drop pan, new filter, new fluid) Most of the posts are several to many years old. We should be older, wiser and more experienced! Is Dexron VI (Castrol or Mobil 1) suitable?

No idea, but tried and true also works. hopefully someone has experience with those.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is no such thing as a Mobil 1 Dex 6 atf. That said, Mobil 1 ATF is actually a good atf for this transmission. Works well. Mobil does make a Dex 6 fluid. Just not Mobil 1. The Mobil 1 fluid would work better than the Mobil Dex 6.

The best fluid for this transmission I have tried, and I have tried many, is Valvoline Import Multi Vehicle . Excellent shift quality including downshifting and really smooth torque application. Also, it's full synthetic and does not cost a lot.

Cool. Thanks for the input and info. I am looking to switch to a readily available fluid. Do you recommend a couple change outs (fill, run, change) to flush out most of the original fluid?

I got Valvoline Import Multi vehicle atf at my local O'reilly's auto parts store. Get 7 qts. Get the filter kit from an online vendor. Costs about $25. Refill takes about 6.75 qts which is about 3/4 the capacity. I really don't think you need to do two changes. You could do another drain/fill at next oil change while you have the car jacked up.

Thanks

I have that transmission in my 01 X5 (E53). I've changed fluid and filter twice; once at about 80k and again at about 155k. I use Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc. Still shifts like the day I bought it (I bought it new). I'm at 161k miles.

Be sure to clean the pan, especially any fine debris around the magnets in the pan. Resist the urge to clean the valve body; you don't want any lint in there.
    12 BMW X5 3.5i xDrive (E70)
    12 Audi A4 Quattro 2.0 turbo (the black sheep)
    03 BMW 330i ZHP (E46)
    01 BMW X5 3.0i (E53)
    79 Triumph Spitfire
    73 MGB

Quote Originally Posted by Scott ZHP View Post
    I have that transmission in my 01 X5 (E53). I've changed fluid and filter twice; once at about 80k and again at about 155k. I use Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc. Still shifts like the day I bought it (I bought it new). I'm at 161k miles.
    The transmission in my ZHP did not work well with MaxLife.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1027 View Post
    The transmission in my ZHP did not work well with MaxLife.
    Debating between Valvoline MaxLife Multi-Vehicle or Valvoline ATF Dexron VI...

When your transmission didn't like Maxlife, Did you drain and fill once? or Multiple times?

Thanks
    trancenation's Alpine Weiss ZHP