Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by t.er View Post

That brown spray is odd. Just thinking out loud here, perhaps the belt got pulled into the fan blades, which damaged the fan clutch, and in turn caused it to spray out the wax?

Looks like a good opportunity for an e-fan conversion
    Yep, definitely swapping to the electric fan because why not. There's a ton of play in the water pump so I'm thinking it was spraying everywhere as the shit went down, but didn't leak out much from the expansion tank.

Went to remove the AC belt and it's just gone lol

S54 swap when
    330i Base | Mysticblau | Slicktop | 6MT

welltheresyourproblem.jpeg

lol holy shit, I thought the fan clutch would go before bending the water pump shaft
    2004 BMW 330CI ZHP (well, technically ZAM)

I think it was the water pump bearings that went first and ended up destroying the belt, not the other way around. That bit to the right is a needle roller that fell out of the front bearing when I removed it. Original BMW part and I believe only a few years old.

Wow

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

I completely missed the update to this thread. I am so sorry.

I’ve seen worse, but not many. I am convinced hanging that fan clutch off the water pump wears put the bearings a LOT faster than electric fan cars. In the last 15 years I have seen way more failures way more often on auto cars for this reason.

On my last 330 sedan I swapped the fan clutch to an electric fan (car was auto) and it was a noticeable improvement in acceleration. I’ve been told someone did a dyno run and the gain is around 7hp. My car never ran hot, even in the Alabama heat. I also deleted my aux fan to help airflow to the radiator. Hope that helps.

Check out my youtube channel for all kinds of E46 DIY's
    http://www.youtube.com/user/flipfinish?feature=mhee
    Check out my BMW Blog
    http://smolckbmw.blogspot.com/
    Follow me on twitter @smolck

I agree 100% on the fan putting too much axial load on the bearings. I was reading that BMW went with the engine driven fan on the autos because it fails on (clutch locks) whereas the electric fan fails off and there is more overheat damage that can occur on the autos.

IDGAF tho I'm not putting this piece of shit back in there. Gonna cruise the local yards for a manual so I can snag that electric fan and toss the pusher too.
    Last edited by ZHPizza; 02-10-2021 at 06:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post
    I agree 100% on the fan putting to much axial load on the bearings. I was reading that BMW went with the engine driven fan on the autos because it fails on (clutch locks) whereas the electric fan fails off and there is more damage that can occur on the autos.

IDGAF tho I'm not putting this piece of shit back in there. Gonna cruise the local yards for a manual so I can snag that electric fan and toss the pusher too.
    If you dont find one let me know, I’ll check my local yard for you. I know the owner so I can usually get smoking deals.

Check out my youtube channel for all kinds of E46 DIY's
    http://www.youtube.com/user/flipfinish?feature=mhee
    Check out my BMW Blog
    http://smolckbmw.blogspot.com/
    Follow me on twitter @smolck

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast