Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I found some report about hand injuries from car accidents (caution: graphic images included): https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4349845/

Don't click before eating and probably after.

Interesting. I figured with the design of the airbag and how it ejects, I thought it would completely bypass the thumb. Perhaps it depends on the car model?

Edit: no idea why it quoted the wrong post, so I just removed the quote...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    Last edited by az3579; 08-30-2017 at 08:42 AM.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Yeah, I would figure it would be more the force of the wheel going into the thumb, but not the airbag.

It's amazing just how instant an airbag goes off from first "hand" experience. I feel for the people who are not properly educated on seating position, for people who are just too stubborn to seat correctly, and for those who have little choice because physically they can't be seated properly. If your arms are super short and you're seat is forced to be in an extreme forward position, that airbag is just going to hit you hard. When you're in a crash, fight or flight mode activates and adrenaline floods the body. You'll be amazed how tensed your body will become. That super human strength can hold a steering wheel so hard that a person's locked fingers could not handle the force of an explosive airbag.
    --Trevor--
    Vancouver, BC

Quote Originally Posted by holyc0w View Post
    I found some report about hand injuries from car accidents (caution: graphic images included): https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4349845/

Don't click before eating and probably after.
    Interesting that the first case was a passenger, not a driver. Seems to have been caused by putting her hands/thumb joint over the area of the airbag cover in front of her on the dashboard. Pretty impressive that at the 2 year mark post-op she only had slight numbness and stiffness as had regained most of the joint's mobility.

I've had two air bag deployments as a driver, the first was in a '92 econoline van when I rear-ended a pickup. My forearms got pretty scratched up from that. I'm not really sure where my hands were on that one. The second was when I hit a deer in my '96 Taurus. No injuries at all from that one. I'm pretty sure my hands were at 9:00 and 3:00.
    The air bag inflates a deflates so quickly that you're not even aware that it deployed other than the cloud of powder that fills the car. I looked down and saw the deflated bag sitting there.
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

I think the thumb injury is due to impact, not Air bag deployment.

Sent from my S8+
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    I think the thumb injury is due to impact, not Air bag deployment.

Sent from my S8+
    That has been my experience (purely academic). Drivers who get hand and digit injury from accidents are usually a result of camming the thumb inside the steering wheel.

As a rule, I cam my thumb out of the wheel for a few reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    5 and 7 with my knees, exclusively.
    Lol
    ~ Paul (Not_Special)
    2003 BMW 330i ZHP, 6mt, Silver Gray/ Black leather.

10 & 2 95% of the time. 44 years driving in large cities and third world countries 0 at fault accidents, and only fender benders. I'll take my chances at 10 & 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Adolfo

2004 330Ci ZHP Orient Blue Metallic
    2002 ///M Roadster Steel Grey Metallic
    1988 325is Zinnoberrot
    1974 2002 Atlantik Blau
    2015 X5 ///M Sport Black Sapphire Metallic (Sold May 2018)
    1999 323i Alpine White (Sold June 2010)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast