Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

My M3 Sedan Mirror project (retrofit services)

so since i guess i like doing this mod and have an odd infatuation with folding motors etc... i've become quite intimate with ribbon cable mirrors and retrofitting them into m3 housings.

i started going on a buying spree looking for good deals on parts.

ideal id love to offer 2 services:

1. when you have purchased your own M3 mirrors, looked and read through the DIY threads and still just dont feel comfortable doing it on your own with the currently available DIYs and info (which in their own right are great and very informative) and you just want to hand everything to someone and have them do it for you and ship back a complete sedan M3 mirror set ready to bolt on.

2. the ability to offer a complete set of M3 mirrors already retrofitted with ribbon cable motors and modified door base plates ready to bolt on. (this one is obviously more expensive.)

Considering M3 mirrors average $350-$500 for decent sets then ribbon cable motors average $75 a side or $140-200 for a pair.. you are looking at close to $600 in parts alone yuck not including power fold motors. calculate power fold motors and you are looking ar another $200 on top in parts alone.

clearly this is a niche product and you have to really want this to spend the coin on it. i dont predict there being a big market for this but at least its something I can do that expands my knowledge, lets me recoupe some small costs for things and keeps my hands busy for now.

either that or i will have a stock pile of m3 mirrors for ribbon sedans stashed in my closet for 30 years later LOL

power fold motors arent sold on their own so i have to purchased damaged ones from M5s then refurbish them with repair kits available online and even then not ALL parts are available which stinks. ive even reached out to people online wholesalers and no one can tell me where they get specific parts im looking for.

anyways i have quite a few pictures from my recent adventure with this :lol

i've also purchased a complete 2005 ZHP GM5 module with plugs and wires, mirror switch and wiring and will be using WDS for wiring pinouts so that I can power up the GM5 standalone and wire in the mirror switch and a custom harness that will let me plug in both mirrors outside of a car to be able to test functionality. currently i have to plug them into my car which is cumbersome. this step should help immensely.

First me scavenging and hoarding mirror motors from salvage yards when possible. sometimes they are damaged in the ribbon part and I have to fix them. #savetheribbons

IMG_20170614_165318 by Shawn Robertson, on Flickr
    IMG_20170615_013240 by Shawn Robertson, on Flickr
    IMG_20170615_013313 by Shawn Robertson, on Flickr
    IMG_20170615_015126 by Shawn Robertson, on Flickr
    IMG_20170615_015549 by Shawn Robertson, on Flickr
    IMG_20170615_015848 by Shawn Robertson, on Flickr
    IMG_20170615_015853 by Shawn Robertson, on Flickr

hoarding motors for future projects and my living room is my work bench lol

IMG_20170615_021102 by Shawn Robertson, on Flickr

IMG_20170613_221025 by Shawn Robertson, on Flickr

IMG_20170613_212751 by Shawn Robertson, on Flickr

completing a set for someone else with power fold motors

IMG_20170602_020001 by Shawn Robertson, on Flickr
    IMG_20170602_015956 by Shawn Robertson, on Flickr
    IMG_20170602_015943-01 by Shawn Robertson, on Flickr
    IMG_20170602_015438-01 by Shawn Robertson, on Flickr
    2003 ZHP 332i | S54 6 speed
    2002 ZHP Touring | M54 6 Speed

Holy crap - thats awesome! I will be following this thread quite closely.
    anandoc

2004 330i auto | ZPP, ZCW | Schwarz 2 (668) | schwarz (N6SW)

aFe Stage-1 Pro DRY S intake | Morimoto FX-R 3.0 retrofit | ///M3 Seats (power, heat, bolster adj.) | ///M3 Strut Brace | ///M3 SMG Steering Wheel retrofit | OEM Alarm retrofit | GROM USB | Khoalty angel eyes

very, very cool - i love seeing this type of ingenuity.

also loved the 'maybe i'll end up with a closet full of parts for 30 years' comment - i can appreciate that.

peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Subscribed!

2004 BMW 330CI ZHP, Silver Grey Metallic, Dinan: Stage 2 Software, High Flow Intake,
    Free Flow Exhaust, Front Strut Bar, Stage 2 Suspension System, Staggered Hartge Replica Wheels,
    M3 Mirrors (Side and Interior), M3 Seats

I contact you on Facebook , so I'll hit up in about a week

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Yup, I'm in for a pair of Black mirror bases with an Imola Housing, idc so much for the glass to be installed since I'll be buying the euro blind spot mirrors for my housings.

I'd be interested in how much you'll be doing everything for, and obvs I guess (i'm just assuming), maybe we can differ on prices if we mail you our original mirrors (kindve like a core charge), in exchange for fully functional, power fold, bolt on mirrors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In for pricing on option 1. I have everything ready except for the glass. Painting should happen before or after sending them to you?

well i dont paint (yet lol) i did purchase a sprayer and some supplies and plan on getting some auto paint, clear coat and primer so I can start practicing auto painting, still need a small air compressor.

for now the mirrors will need to be painted or vinyl wrapped which is also a good option too.

power fold option is limited right now. i dont have a large assortment of parts to put together several sets and most people wont want to pay the cost of the mirrors with power fold as its obnoxiously expensive.

heres a comparison.

OEM EURO M3 Folding mirrors are $740 EACH with NO GLASS and primered. so thats $1480 for jst folding mirrors, THEN you gut the mirror motors out so thats a waste of money, and pay or retrofit ribbon motors in THEN add glass for $200 then Paint. you are looking at close to $2000 for silly folding mirrors that were modified lol.

my mirrors will probably hover around the $750-800 mark for BOTH with glass and ribbon motors retrofitted in ready to go and bolt on but you still need paint or vinyl.

its still ridiculously expensive BUT over 60% cheaper than the alternative.

none the less, its an option for those people that really want this setup BUT just dojnt want to do the work them selves. very Niche.

so in summary here is the price list most likely:

$250 - straight up retrofit service - you supply M3 mirrors and ribbon motors and ship them to me. I cobble them together and send back complete ready to bolt on mirrors WITH a template for your door that shows where to drill the proper two M3 base plate holes in your door.
    (for this service if you dont want to be with out mirrors on your daily driver for a week or 2, there is a $200 core charge so $450 total and when i get back your functioning ribbon motors i refund $200)

$450 - Retrofit service with you supplying M3 mirrors only and I supply Ribbon motors WITH a template for your door that shows where to drill the proper two M3 base plate holes in your door.

$750 - Complete Pair of M3 mirrors retrofitted with Sedan motors ready to bolt on WITH a template for your door that shows where to drill the proper two M3 base plate holes in your door.

$850 - Power Folding Pair of M3 mirrors retrofitted with Sedan motors ready to bolt on WITH a template for your door that shows where to drill the proper two M3 base plate holes in your door.

looking at those last prices, doesnt that seem obnoxious? who would pay that? well i did but i'm weird. there are literally no alternatives for Ribbon cable sedan cars.

not even the ebay sedan power fold mirrors are good, they look odd shaped, over sized more like M5 mirrors and the components are low quality AND they still arent ribbon cable so you have to retrofit those still.

power fold parts suck since I have to buy damaged m5 folding motors for $50-70 a piece then repair kits for $25 a piece, thats $190 for parts alone for folding motors lol. i wish i could buy stuff at wholesale that would be so awesome.

in the end ill probably have a bunch of part in my closet for years lol

Quote Originally Posted by KTS317 View Post
    In for pricing on option 1. I have everything ready except for the glass. Painting should happen before or after sending them to you?

you can get the SHELL housing painted yes but not the base plate for the door. it gets cut and sanded on one edge and a few inside corners and i would need t tape it off to make sure it doesnt get marred up. if you have to get them​ painted, then wrap them nicely so they dont get dinged and scratched on shipping.
    Last edited by nextelbuddy; 06-15-2017 at 03:44 PM.

Even though my mirrors are still in transit and won't be delivering to you until Monday, I'm getting pretty excited! Happy to be one of the first (I assume) test mules for your new business venture haha But honestly more happy that I don't have to do this DIY on my own, and that the couple hundred bucks I spent on M3 mirrors that would probably live in a box in my garage for years wasn't all for nothing...
    2016 BMW M340i

BMW CCA Member . Dinan Stage 1 Software . Dinan 3.5" Exhaust . Dinan CAI & Turbo Inlet . VSRF Charge Pipe . H&R Sport Springs . CF: Front Splitter, Rear Valance, Trunk Spoiler, Roof Spoiler, M3 Mirror Covers . BMW Performance pedals . Gloss black ///M kidneys . 12mm F / 15mm R BMS Spacers. NGK 94201 Plugs .

2013 BMW X5 M-Sport - Sold
    2009 550i M-Sport - Sold
    2006 650i Vert - Sold
    2004 330i ZHP - Dead
    2001 330i Sport - Sold
    2004 330i ZHP - Sold
    1999 E36 M3 - Sold

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast