Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Spare tire and Solenoid valve questions

First, my skinny spare tire is the default Continental 125/80R17 99 M model and a designated 17 inch wheel . The sidewalls says SP57 AMCW4404. So this tire is manufactured in week 44 of year 2004 which is beyond the "10 years recommended" to keep for a spare. My psi gauge reader shows no reading. Do you guys think it is ok for me to inflate this tire and use it (if needed) for a 1000 miles round trip I'm making later this week? I plan to get the tire replaced from Tirerack in a few months time and I do carry a tire inflator in this car. I'm taking a chance but the last time I used any spare was 10 years ago for tire punctured.

Also, if the solenoid valve( solid metal item on top of the engine) is not leaking oil and the Peake code reader does not say anything, is there a reason to replace it at all and if the engine runs smoothly? Can someone confirm that there is one one solenoid valve and not two? I've replaced the other camshaft position sensors(both exhaust and intake parts; black color) in the past only after it has oiled up and also after the Peake code shows an error. I only want to replace parts if I need to.

Thanks

If the spare tire is deflated, the important question is why. Air it up and see if it holds pressure. If not take it to a tire shop and have it patched or replaced.

I'm pretty sure the spare is not designed for such a long use. I wouldn't risk it. This is meant to be a very temporary solution, not to mention that you shouldn't be driving over 80 km/h (about 50 mph) on it anyway. I'm sure a 1000 mile trip would be a total drag at 50 mph.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    I'm pretty sure the spare is not designed for such a long use. I wouldn't risk it. This is meant to be a very temporary solution, not to mention that you shouldn't be driving over 80 km/h (about 50 mph) on it anyway. I'm sure a 1000 mile trip would be a total drag at 50 mph.
    Yeah, definitely not something I would do myself. The distance and speed would be the main concerns, and then it's getting up there in age. It might be okay since it's been hidden from the sun, but it's just another factor on a tire not designed for long trips.

Thanks guys. Let me clarify, I'm not going to be using the spare tire on my trip. My other 4 tires are new and working fine. I was mentioning that if I had a tire go out, I would have to put this old spare in for that emergency. When I get back from my trip, I will buy a new spare tire.

Not sure what you mean by solenoid valve on top of engine. Could you be referring to the VANOS?
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

Yes. I'm referring to the item #2. I don't think this part every goes bad or has oil touching it?

Name:  Solvalve.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  153.3 KB

That solenoid does see and touches oil as it is an actuator that sends oil to the VANOS.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...Vanos-Line.htm

I can't say that I have seen much talk about replacing this part in our cars.
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

Thanks guys. The Solenoid Void just needed oil wiped off it, according to my mechanic. I am going to wait for the Peake code reader to pull an error code before I replace it.