Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by brettbimmer View Post
    Thank you Sir. Hmmm...maybe I need to track down Tony before shipping any components off for investigation. Suppose I could swap some sensors, but I really think this a computer problem, esp. given what BP was able to confirm for me that they will not auto-stop if overheating is detected.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    The DME itself has a small fan to keep it cool. Are you able to check whether that is still functional?

Here is a video which shows you how to replace it...maybe you can verify that it is still functional and the DME itself is not overheating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MsbyUBfGMw
    anandoc

2004 330i auto | ZPP, ZCW | Schwarz 2 (668) | schwarz (N6SW)

aFe Stage-1 Pro DRY S intake | Morimoto FX-R 3.0 retrofit | ///M3 Seats (power, heat, bolster adj.) | ///M3 Strut Brace | ///M3 SMG Steering Wheel retrofit | OEM Alarm retrofit | GROM USB | Khoalty angel eyes

Quote Originally Posted by anandoc View Post
    The DME itself has a small fan to keep it cool. Are you able to check whether that is still functional?

Here is a video which shows you how to replace it...maybe you can verify that it is still functional and the DME itself is not overheating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MsbyUBfGMw
    Wow that's huge, Thanks! Didn't know that we had a special cooling fan for the DME. Definitely sounds like it may be causing some trouble here given my symptoms, particularly happening once warmed up. I'll check it and report back.

-Brettski

Quote Originally Posted by ELCID86 View Post
    Never knew we had one of those. TMYK.
    Me either.

The plot thickens. Pulled DME out of slot underhood, and set it where it would not overheat. No change. Also looked over the circuit board inside the DME, and didn't see anything drastically wrong/out of place.

Pulled out the hidden fan to check, and all seems well. No change.

Removed the Pedalbox as a precaution. No change.

Guess next step is to send in DME for diagnosis. Not a fan of hunting mystery electrical problems.

-Brettski

This might be old news but there was recall for BMW E9x years 2007-2001 and reported by USAToday in year 2013 at https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...bles/1924627/#

A few months ago, I received a letter for my BMW e90 that says : "battery cable terminal located behind the glove box in the above-referenced vehicle could be damaged over time due to vibration and high current loads. A damaged battery terminal could lead to an improper power supply. As a result, the door locks may not function properly or the vehicle may not start. In rare cases, an improper power supply could lead to the failure of the electrical system while driving." The fix it by replacing the part(fuse\wire).

When I had my E46 328ci, the engine would turn off all of a sudden after all the red lights flash on the dashboard, after I came to a complete stop while braking. One time, I was in a stop and go freeway jam and the engine just cuts off. I had to quickly turn my emergency lights on, go to Park, and restart the engine real quick. This happened intermittently(not more than 7 times total) after I had the car at year 6, and a few times at year 15. Also, later in the car's life, the engine would start but the turn signals on the outside would not flash or the air condition, or radio would not work even though the interior lights say it does. I had to turn the engine off and restart the car's engine and checked to make sure the exterior signals flash. This was a "minor " inconvenience to me as the car ages and I did not bother telling my indy shop about it as I thought this is what happens to old cars . In this heat I live in, the plastic brittles and any of the electrical wires under the hood could function inconsistently. My engine code reader never pull up on error codes on this issue.

I think BMW should have a done a battery terminal recall for my E46 too , I don't know if they did as I never remember receiving this same notice . Anyways, what I am trying to say in this post , it could be any of the electrical components that has gone bad (aside from DME if that is what does not need fixing), so how can you know what needs replacing and also the big issue is how to do you deal with the safety issue when that car engine goes out unexpectedly while on the road?

Quote Originally Posted by thinkpad240 View Post
    This might be old news but there was recall for BMW E9x years 2007-2001 and reported by USAToday in year 2013 at https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...bles/1924627/#

A few months ago, I received a letter for my BMW e90 that says : "battery cable terminal located behind the glove box in the above-referenced vehicle could be damaged over time due to vibration and high current loads. A damaged battery terminal could lead to an improper power supply. As a result, the door locks may not function properly or the vehicle may not start. In rare cases, an improper power supply could lead to the failure of the electrical system while driving." The fix it by replacing the part(fuse\wire).

When I had my E46 328ci, the engine would turn off all of a sudden after all the red lights flash on the dashboard, after I came to a complete stop while braking. One time, I was in a stop and go freeway jam and the engine just cuts off. I had to quickly turn my emergency lights on, go to Park, and restart the engine real quick. This happened intermittently(not more than 7 times total) after I had the car at year 6, and a few times at year 15. Also, later in the car's life, the engine would start but the turn signals on the outside would not flash or the air condition, or radio would not work even though the interior lights say it does. I had to turn the engine off and restart the car's engine and checked to make sure the exterior signals flash. This was a "minor " inconvenience to me as the car ages and I did not bother telling my indy shop about it as I thought this is what happens to old cars . In this heat I live in, the plastic brittles and any of the electrical wires under the hood could function inconsistently. My engine code reader never pull up on error codes on this issue.

I think BMW should have a done a battery terminal recall for my E46 too , I don't know if they did as I never remember receiving this same notice . Anyways, what I am trying to say in this post , it could be any of the electrical components that has gone bad (aside from DME if that is what does not need fixing), so how can you know what needs replacing and also the big issue is how to do you deal with the safety issue when that car engine goes out unexpectedly while on the road?
    Thanks very much. You are right - my concern as any modern vehicle ages is the electrical system issues. Either you have to be a Master Tech or be able to afford lots of tech time. If not a DME/EWS problem, I will certainly start digging into the harness. Strangley, car won't allow for a quick restart, so I can't really drive anywhere at present if I hope to make it home. Odd part is that it is that my zhp lives in the garage and I only drive infrequently. My E36 with 318K Mi (Not a typo) seems more reliable, if you can deal with the interior imploding in around you while you drive.

Well, I have pulled the DME & EWS tonight to be sent out & checked. Will certainly report back with the findings.

-Brettski

Any updates on your issue?
    anandoc

2004 330i auto | ZPP, ZCW | Schwarz 2 (668) | schwarz (N6SW)

aFe Stage-1 Pro DRY S intake | Morimoto FX-R 3.0 retrofit | ///M3 Seats (power, heat, bolster adj.) | ///M3 Strut Brace | ///M3 SMG Steering Wheel retrofit | OEM Alarm retrofit | GROM USB | Khoalty angel eyes

Quote Originally Posted by anandoc View Post
    Any updates on your issue?
    Well I spent some time today putting in a new-used ECU (coded to the original VIN, EWS, & Key) as I sent the original out for testing and was informed it had a bad processor and could not be fixed. Sadly after installing, still getting the temp gauge pegged to hot (with ignition on and engine off), and car not starting. I think something's up with either immobilizer or ECU. Hopefully I can make some headway this week when I can talk to BBA-REMAN. Great folks there who may have some ideas.

-Brettski

Hmmm, so a bit of progress. Hope they find the fix. Now that this has gotten eyes on it I'll move it to the mechanical section.
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Perhaps something affected both the DME and the IKE (instrument cluster). I noticed that one of your screenshorts was of a PASoft scan of the IKE module listing out some errors.

Have you been able to rule out any problems with the cluster itself so far?

5/2003 Silbergrau Metallic ZHP
    - Sedan :: 6MT :: Style 68 -
    h&r | drvanos | koni | active autowerke | vibrant | akg | turner

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast