Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

The ZHP transplant into my e46 wagon has been...a bumpy road.

Anyways, I won't get into much detail right now - will add more later. I am new to ZHP Mafia, but not new to BMWs. Have a 95 M3 and 88 325 (stroker in 07) that I have had for as long as I can remember. I digress though.

I recently dealt with a hole in a valve on my wagon's 95k young engine (no clue why): http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1124176

In order to make the most of a shitty situation, I used that as an excuse to source a ZHP engine and a 6spd trans. I was VERY careful. Drove to Chicago, brought a bunch of tools with me: air compressor, leakdown tester, camera/scope. I inspected my prospected ZHP engine with a fine tooth comb. 160k miles (more than I'd like), but the leakdown passed VERY strongly. Something like 2% loss on each cylinder. Engine seemed well cared for (very clean), no cracked boot, etc. So, I bit the bullet.

Fast forward to getting home, I decided to hook up a battery and "bench" compression test it. In the matter of weeks, I lost compression on cylinders 1, 3 and 5 (ranged from 40-95). This had me at a complete loss. Cylinders 2, 4 and 5 were at 193, 190 and 200 respectively. Did leakdown, found exhaust valves on "bad" cylinders leaking for some reason.

I let it sit as I dealt with other things. The other night I took the valve cover off to ensure no issues. Nothing prevalent. Did another leak down. Now ALL cylinders are leaking during my leakdown testing. W T F?

My only guess is the valves are not closing all the way? Maybe oil in the hydraulic lifters or something?

So, I begin dismantling the head. Got my exhaust cam off tonight and journals 3-6 all have some nasty marks on them! One of the advantages of the ZHP engine is the cam. But, after seeing these journals, I'm really concerned. Is there anything I can do to fix them?

Will post pictures tomorrow.

Discussion commence!

-Sean

You should repeat the leak down test but this time squirt a little oil in each cyl. That will tell you if it's ring related. You know these engines have issues with low tension rings. Remember this:

It's not the rings. The air is plainly coming out through the exhaust valves.

I had also checked it right before purchase, applying no oil, and it did not leak into the crank case at all.

But, since I am damn near taking this engine completely apart, I will be putting in new rings now. LOL (using M52 style of course)

Here's some pictures of my poor exhaust cam.
    Attached Images Attached Images        

What causes this wear?
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

Ouch.

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

yikes, what the heck causes that kind of wear/damage? low oil? contaminants getting into the system somehow, improperly torqued cams??

my condolences to that :/
    2003 ZHP 332i | S54 6 speed
    2002 ZHP Touring | M54 6 Speed

Thanks for the condolences. I only bought it like this. :-\

My assumption is it was starved.

I think it may be polishable. I'm going to swing past the machine shop soon.