Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Tamper dot is a non issue to me. Any enthusiast will understand especially if I can prove the cluster is from my original car. Hell this thread will be proof enough.

Plug and play option is always superior to some "chance it" outside the box jerry rig effort. I'm not rigging a paper clip into my cluster, which appears to be faulty anyway despite what everyone has said.
    --Wes--

04 330i ZHP Oxford Green/Natural Brown
    04 330Ci ZHP Silvergrey/Alcantara (RIP)

Besides I'm in for $25k on a 13 year old car with shite suspension and 170k miles. This car is unsellable.
    --Wes--

The tamper dot can be removed with coding/programming... it's just a matter of finding someone that is willing to do it for you
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

first all you need is the PIN from another cluster.. if you purchased your cluster back then just remove the PIN and install it in yours done.

yes you do have to remove the NEEDLES but its not bad or hard. ive done it a few times they come off and go back on relatively easy. its all about using some masking tape to mark where the needles rest so that you can put them back in the proper spot.

If you do swap clusters and want to remove the tamper dot then you can use PASoft to do that as well. it involves reading the mileage and details from the replacement cluster such as VIN, Miles, etc. then writing those same values to the LCM.. basically just making the LCM match the cluster since you can not change those values in the cluster. tamper dot goes away.

if for some odd reason you want to use the cluster from your silver car.. few things regarding mileage..

Terra CAN fix it but never has time. the way he fixes it is he removes the EEPRom chip from the cluster and revirginizes the cluster so that it will accept the mileage from the Light control module when it is first installed. its hard work.

The other way mileage can be corrected depends on the scenario... if your Oxford cluster mileage is Lower than the Silver coupe cluster.. then its going to be longer and harder to change the mileage... if the Oxford cluster is higher than the silver coupe cluster then its not as bad.

you can do it with PASoft and has to do with changing the Tire scaling for the cluster.. the tire scaling change will mean that when you start driving... the cluster will start going up in mileage super fast and once its close you stop the car and change the tire scaling back to normal/default.

heres a video of the mileage change in action on my m3 cluster after i did the engine swap. same principal applies to your cluster.

2003 ZHP 332i | S54 6 speed
    2002 ZHP Touring | M54 6 Speed

Quote Originally Posted by nextelbuddy View Post
    first all you need is the PIN from another cluster.. if you purchased your cluster back then just remove the PIN and install it in yours done.

yes you do have to remove the NEEDLES but its not bad or hard. ive done it a few times they come off and go back on relatively easy. its all about using some masking tape to mark where the needles rest so that you can put them back in the proper spot.
    i have removed needles before from my old cluster to do the bimmian grey non-M gauge face swap. i have no problems with that. i think this is the easiest route so it is what i will try first. HOWEVER, i am not confident that a working pin actuator thingy will address the issues i am facing with the non-working chimes and auto-lock (which i re-coded via PA Soft and is still not working)

If you do swap clusters and want to remove the tamper dot then you can use PASoft to do that as well. it involves reading the mileage and details from the replacement cluster such as VIN, Miles, etc. then writing those same values to the LCM.. basically just making the LCM match the cluster since you can not change those values in the cluster. tamper dot goes away.

if for some odd reason you want to use the cluster from your silver car.. few things regarding mileage..

Terra CAN fix it but never has time. the way he fixes it is he removes the EEPRom chip from the cluster and revirginizes the cluster so that it will accept the mileage from the Light control module when it is first installed. its hard work.

The other way mileage can be corrected depends on the scenario... if your Oxford cluster mileage is Lower than the Silver coupe cluster.. then its going to be longer and harder to change the mileage... if the Oxford cluster is higher than the silver coupe cluster then its not as bad.

you can do it with PASoft and has to do with changing the Tire scaling for the cluster.. the tire scaling change will mean that when you start driving... the cluster will start going up in mileage super fast and once its close you stop the car and change the tire scaling back to normal/default.
    just to make sure i understand here. the cluster from my coupe has 92,xxx miles on it. the cluster in my sedan has 168,xxx miles on it. if i were to do a direct swap of the clusters, are you saying i just change the tire scaling until the 92,xxx cluster catches up to the 168,xxx cluster?

also, the earlier bold comment about just re-writing the VIN, miles etc from the old cluster to the new LCM seems to contradict the tire scaling method. maybe i'm not understanding clearly.

heres a video of the mileage change in action on my m3 cluster after i did the engine swap. same principal applies to your cluster.

LOL traveling at warp speed of 10mph!!!

THANK YOU for all that info. i am still learning all the coding stuff. but i do have a working PA Soft and am confident with enough practice and help from the Fam that i will continue to learn and eventually master it.
    --Wes--

Quote Originally Posted by webster View Post
    i have removed needles before from my old cluster to do the bimmian grey non-M gauge face swap. i have no problems with that. i think this is the easiest route so it is what i will try first. HOWEVER, i am not confident that a working pin actuator thingy will address the issues i am facing with the non-working chimes and auto-lock (which i re-coded via PA Soft and is still not working)

just to make sure i understand here. the cluster from my coupe has 92,xxx miles on it. the cluster in my sedan has 168,xxx miles on it. if i were to do a direct swap of the clusters, are you saying i just change the tire scaling until the 92,xxx cluster catches up to the 168,xxx cluster?

also, the earlier bold comment about just re-writing the VIN, miles etc from the old cluster to the new LCM seems to contradict the tire scaling method. maybe i'm not understanding clearly.

LOL traveling at warp speed of 10mph!!!

THANK YOU for all that info. i am still learning all the coding stuff. but i do have a working PA Soft and am confident with enough practice and help from the Fam that i will continue to learn and eventually master it.
    If you do a direct swap and the COUPE cluster has 92k that means it has less miles than the one you are removing which is 168k thats fine.

you still need to read the values of the 92k cluster for VIN and Miles etc.. and write those values to the LCM as well.

what I usually do is READ your LCM and write down the values of the LCM and both clusters and keep them in a text file.. that way you have all the original values should you ever need to revert back.

once the NEW 92k cluster is in your car.. open PASoft and there should be an option in there that lets you write from IKE ---> LCM.. this is the quickest way buy you can also do it manually to.
    once your LCM matches your 92K cluster then tamper dot should go away.

then use the tire scaling method by reading the IKE and changing the tire scaling and driving around. just make sure to stop driving a little before your final number so you dont over shoot the miles. if you over shoot then obviously it takes a long time to get back over to 0000000 and start over lol

Here is the text from my thread:

since my cluster has 72695 miles and i need it to get close to 165000 and you mentioned earlier that now every 1 mile = 8000 miles.

then 165000 - 72695 = 92,305 miles as what I need to go. 92,305 / 8000 = 11.53 miles I need to drive to catch up.

• read the IKE and write down the default value for "Distance, imp/km"
    • change that value to "Distance, imp/km" to "1"
    • write to the IKE
    • do your calculations for miles needed to drive
    • stop somewhere early
    • change scaling back from 1 to the default value
    • write to the IKE
    • good to go
    2003 ZHP 332i | S54 6 speed
    2002 ZHP Touring | M54 6 Speed

awesome thanks for clearing that up. that makes sense now.

all plans for the car have come to a screeching halt due to the impending storm from tropical storm Harvey. i'm gonna park it on the 5th floor of my office garage and ride the weekend out.

as some of you may recall my coupe was damaged from flooding in the floods from a few years ago. not risking that again.
    --Wes--

Quote Originally Posted by webster View Post
    awesome thanks for clearing that up. that makes sense now.

all plans for the car have come to a screeching halt due to the impending storm from tropical storm Harvey. i'm gonna park it on the 5th floor of my office garage and ride the weekend out.

as some of you may recall my coupe was damaged from flooding in the floods from a few years ago. not risking that again.
    Wish you the best. Stay safe

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Your coupe had flood damage ? In for details if you want to share. The Houston field office from my work will be closed this Friday and Monday.
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

Quote Originally Posted by Vas View Post
    Wish you the best. Stay safe

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    thank you

Quote Originally Posted by fredo View Post
    Your coupe had flood damage ? In for details if you want to share. The Houston field office from my work will be closed this Friday and Monday.
    water got into the floorboard and permeated the sound deadening foam material underneath. entire interior was removed and remediated for water/mold damage. it did not impact any of the mechanical or electrical operations of the car, and insurance covered it minus whatever my deductible was (either 500 or 1000).

all things considered i was pretty lucky. lots of people lost their cars. that car had 9 lives, i just pushed it for 10 and we all know what happened :\
    --Wes--

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast